Start by marking “Get It Right (Love at Knockdown, #1)” as Want to Read:
Get It Right (Love at Knockdown, #1)

Get It Right

(Love at Knockdown #1)

A butch lesbian parolee. The pretty pansexual nurse who got away. Is this their second chance at a happily ever after?

Finn is finally out of prison, which is great. Having no job, no car, and no place to sleep except her cousin’s couch? Not so great. Plus, her felony theft conviction isn’t doing wonders for her employment prospects, so she can’t afford her migraine meds wi
Published December 1st 2020

To ask other readers questions about Get It Right, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get It Right

Start your review of Get It Right (Love at Knockdown, #1)
Lex Kent
This was a super cute, romance novella. After reading Kilaen’s great WLW fantasy novella Glorious Day, I could not wait to get my hands on her next release. Since this WLW modern romance was a completely different genre than her last, I was really interested to see if this story would also work for me. I’m happy to say that yes, I really enjoyed this sweet novella.

I’m not sure what it is about ex-con storylines, maybe I like a good redemption arc I don’t know, well whatever the reason they just
Skye Kilaen
Release Day! My contemporary F/F romance novella is out today, yay! Finn's a butch lesbian. Vivi's a pan gal who loves nail polish. They fell in love but couldn't act on it, and now they have a second chance.

Thanks so much to ARC readers who have reviewed it. Your time is precious and I am grateful you chose to spend some of it on my story.

Detailed content warnings are available if you need them, head over to my author site: https://skyewritesromance.com/books/g...
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
What, me finally reading something despite the reading slump of the century?!

This was adorable. We forever support shy, nervous butch girls in this house. ♥ RTC
Jude in the Stars
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think I have to start by saying how much I enjoyed reading a story with real diverse characters. One of the mains is a butch lesbian, the other is pan, secondary characters are bisexual, straight, whatever. None of it feels forced, it’s all normal. Which doesn’t mean they aren’t confronted to homophobia and such, but the characters themselves fit very organically in the story. And that, in itself, is exciting.

That’s not all that’s exciting about this novella, however. Get It Right is a very sw
MZ
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
A super sweet romance. This was a quick but cute read about Finn, the butch ex-con, and Vivi, the pan girl that loves pink and glitter make-up. There is a lot of diversity in this book which all felt very natural and at the beginning of the book is a list with trigger warnings for those who prefer that.

For two years Finn and Vivi worked together as staff and inmate in the prison infirmary, not allowed to show any affection (to Finns great frustration). Finn does not expect to ever see Vivi agai
Althea
4.5/5 Stars

As I’ve already mentioned, I already love Skye Kilaen’s writing, no matter the genre – I’ve equally loved her fantasy/sci-fi bodyguard/princess novella and her fluffy and funny contemporary prequel to this book, Knock Me Down, so of course I was highly anticipating her first contemporary sapphic romance, and I was not let down! This short but sweet novella follows Vivi, a fat, pansexual nurse, and Finn, a butch lesbian who is just out of prison and is trying her hardest to secure a jo
pipsqueakreviews
Love it!

I received this ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

The first thing that drew me to the book was the blurb. It was different from the other f/f romances I've read and indeed I found this book refreshing. First is the fact that the main characters met in prison and while real-life romances and crushes are not uncommon in prison, I have not read one in the f/f romance section yet.

Second, the book start off right smack into what would have been the middle part of most
Joharis
Oct 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: sapphic
Arc provided by the author in exchange of an honest review

This is a very cute and short contemporary story about a butch girl that just got out of prison and a nurse she had feelings for during her prison days. While the story had a lot of cute moments and did a great job with a fat character and talking in broad terms about the Inhumanitys committed in prison, I felt like the romance lacked chemistry between the characters. I know it's a short story but when they confessed their feelings for ea
jut
Jan 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-s-books
"girlfriend. a word she’d need to get used to again. well worth it."

hella cute second chance romance story
Tara
Vivi and Finn are already in love with each other when they meet up again. That means the romance is about them figuring out that the strong feelings they already have are entirely mutual, rather than watching feelings develop on one or both sides. This worked well for me, because Get It Right is a novella, so it only has so much space to convince me of their HEA.

Full review (TLR): https://www.thelesbianreview.com/get-...

Full review (SBTB): https://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/r...
kaylie
Jun 10, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sapphic, kindle
uhhhhh

this would've been so so so much better if this was a full length novel. the fact that they fell in love off page and we didn't see it kinda killed this book for me.
Gabriella
Thank you to Skye Kilaen for the ARC!

Wow, I loved this book. It was basically the perfect romance novella. I loved Finn and Vivi so much...especially Finn! Yes, I would have loved to have had more, but the story was not lacking at all and was so dang complete. Kilaen puts so much content and so many feelings into 130 pages. I cannot wait to read more of Kilaen’s stuff — I’ll be reading Glorious Day sometime soon!
Lorraine Rusnack
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing

I love how Vivi is always really to fight for those who are in need. Finn may have a lot of things working against her but she keeps trying and knowing she has Vivi on her side makes it worth staying positive. This seems like a really great group of characters and I look forward to reading more of their stories.
Sara ➽ Ink Is My Sword
Jan 13, 2021 marked it as to-read
this looks so CUTE!! 😍😍
lauraღ
Jan 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Finn hadn’t known she liked pink so much until Vivi showed up in her life.

This was so cute! The kind of novella where the characters already have history and a deep connection, so it makes telling their story in a short amount of time feasible and believable. And I really liked the premise, with Finn being an ex-con, and the friendship that they'd cultivated during prison being the foundation for their relationship. I loved the chronic illness rep and the commentary on health care and the pr
Dee
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
This story, or should I say writing style, took me a long time to warm to, which is partially why it took me so long to finish.

With that said, something kept me coming back to it, and by the 50% mark, I was more invested. I liked the diversity, but some comments gave me pause. Seriously, how is a butch less butch because she suffers from Migraines? Do Migraines discriminate? Not in my experience. I let it go the first time, but the second time a similar comment was made, I shook my head.

Similar
Carrie
Feb 04, 2021 rated it liked it
I liked this because it was a unique premise. I don't like flashbacks, but I would have liked to have had some from the time in prison. It could have helped me feel the chemistry I felt was missing for the most part. But I did enjoy the story. Challenges with what to do out of prison. How people might view you. Will anyone give you a chance? ...more
Skip
Nov 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. This is my first work by Kilaen and I really enjoyed it. The writing is fantastic and I enjoyed meeting all of the characters. I was sad when this one was over - for all the right reasons.

This is a friends/colleagues to lovers story with an added element of power dynamics due to them having previously known each in a prison environment, where Finn was an inmate and Vivi a nurse. There’s a prologue where we need them both in the prison infirmary but the main part of the narrative take
I received an early copy from the author. This in no way influences my review; all words, thoughts and opinions are my own.

This is such a cute, sweet contemporary f/f romance and I highly recommend picking it up when it comes out! Skye does a phenomenal job at sweet and romantic while also having enough tension to keep the story moving. I really enjoyed this and hope many more will as well!!
Casey
Jun 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Pansexual lady rep! Set in Austin! A thorough content warnings list right at the front of the book! A super sweet second-chance romance between two women who feel real! I am in, obvs. This book also features a cast of side characters I really appreciated, as well as a look at some of the immense, unjust challenges faced by people released from prison with a felony on their record. I signed up for Kilaen's newsletter so I can read the prequel short story, and I look forward to the next book when ...more
Anna
Dec 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt-reads, f-f
Super diverse f/f/ read! It was nice, but didn't quite meet my expectations. ...more
Emmalita
Oct 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
There are plenty of problems to go around. Challenges are abundant, so why not take a chance on love? Ellen “Finn” Finnegan is newly out on parole after serving 5 years of her sentence for felony theft. She’s trying to find a job so that she can pay her parole fees and find housing that isn’t her cousin’s stepsister’s couch. While she was in prison, she worked in the infirmary and fell in love with Vivian Curiel, the prison nurse who treated her like a real person. A relationship between them wo ...more
kory.
really not my jam

content/trigger warnings; ableism, prison, delay of medical care, mentions of child abandonment, mentions of death of mother, chronic migraines, discussions of negative prison experiences, mentions of transphobia, difficulty accessing a prescription from a government-funded program, housing insecurity/homelessness, vomiting, queerphobia, mentions of queerphobic rejection by parents, pregnancy, recovery from injuries sustained in a car accident, discussions of abortion, sexual co
JWG1973UK
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Great read

This is a new author for me and I picked a great book to start with from her.

I don't usually go for butch women, but ... Finn. She is absolutely adorable. Yes she made a mistake and paid for it and now has a criminal record but she has a caring side, would help you and do anything for you if she could. I just fell in love with her. Vivi was great too, but Finn is most definitely my favourite. Great storyline and great characters.

Lookng forward to the next one in the series and checking
Ellie
Dec 03, 2020 added it
DNF at 40%

I am not rating this book because I quit at 40% since it was not working for me. I went in expecting cute, fluffy story (yes, I am aware one of the MCs just left prison and is bound to be in a rough spot, but still) and what I read felt too heavy for me.

The book has detailed content warnings, including one for surprise pregnancy, but it's not indicated in any way in the blurb, and I was not prepared for it when I picked the book. It's a hard line for me and I just couldn't continue.

I
Kate (Reading Through Infinity)

Content warnings for unplanned pregnancy, discussions of abortion, homophobia and queerphobia, migraines, scenes of a sexual nature, poor treatment of inmates in prison hospitals.

This was a fun sapphic romance between a pansexual nurse and a lesbian parolee who are both trying to find their feet after unexpected events.

Finn is kind, selfless, and absolutely whipped for Vivi. She doesn't want to be a burden to others in her family so she's trying to find a job and her own apartment afte
Jerusha
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
I have never before read migraine representation in a book, and as someone who has had headaches/migraines almost everyday since childhood, I really appreciated reading it.

I also just really loved the causal queerness, especially just how many people were queer in this story. A lot of the time there are only a couple LGBTQ+ side characters in queer romances, when in real life we often tend to group together, lol.
Jenica
Jan 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
I know things in novellas move fast, but this moved FAST emotionally. But I really loved all the commentary and I enjoyed the novella overall.
Lucy Bexley
May 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is so sweet! Kilaen handles Vivi and Finn’s story with grace and a whole lot of heart.
Trianna/Treereads
This was a super cute f/f novella.

Why do I keep starting novellas?? I always have the same issue, I want more from the characters and from the romance.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• 16 Steps to Forever
  • Checking It Twice
  • Accidental Honeymoon
  • Scent
  • What a Tangled Web (Tangle Valley, #3)
  • Against the Grain (Flippin' Fantastic, #1)
  • The Clinch
  • Just My Type
  • Christmas In Mistletoe
  • Venandi
  • All I Want for Christmas
  • Hotel Queens
  • Santa’s Favorite
  • All Aglow
  • Party Favors (So Over the Holidays #4)
See top shelves…
Skye Kilaen writes queer romance, both contemporary and science fiction, that is sometimes about polyamorous relationships.

She is bi/pan, and she currently lives in Austin, Texas because of all the libraries and breakfast tacos.

Here on Goodreads, she recommends romance (mostly queer), graphic novels (mostly diverse), and the occasional YA, fantasy, & science fiction books.

Love at Knockdown (3 books)
  • Knock Me Down (Love at Knockdown #0.5)
  • Shake Things Up (Love at Knockdown #2)

News & Interviews