Start by marking “Finding Tranquility: A Love Story” as Want to Read:
Finding Tranquility: A Love Story

Finding Tranquility: A Love Story

Jess Cooper lost her husband on 9/11. Just not in the way she thought.

On September 11, 2001, Brett Cooper checks into a flight to go on an interview for a job he doesn't want, in a city where he doesn't want to live. All to make his wife happy. He loves her, but he's not happy in his marriage. Or in his body, really. As boarding begins, Brett panics and gives his ticke
Published January 20th 2020 by Wild Rose Creative Content

To ask other readers questions about Finding Tranquility, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Tranquility

Start your review of Finding Tranquility: A Love Story
Jude in the Stars
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
First of all, let me state that I’m a cisgender lesbian, so it’s completely possible that some aspects of this book I found respectful or interesting are in fact offensive. If that’s the case, I apologise and would be very grateful for any comment pointing them out.

I’ll be honest, Finding Tranquility made me uneasy for most of the time I was reading it. I’m wary of cisgender (as far as I know) straight (as far as I know) people writing our stories. That may sound unfair but experience has taugh
Lindsay
Apr 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, lgbt
The story begins when Christa, a hotel manager in Canada, has a chance meeting with Jess Cooper. The woman Christa was married to when she was a man, before September 11 gave her an opportunity to fake her own death and transition. We then cut back to then, with Brett Cooper's process and path to happiness and then back to the present, where their relationship appears to be far from over.

Too many coincidences. Good for what it is, showing the decisions that Christa had to make and the pressure h
Sophia
What if a person who has never felt comfortable in his body and is living in private misery with the love of his life gets the opportunity for a reset? On 9/11 the unthinkable happened, but it is only the catalyst for the rest of Brett and Jess Cooper's story. This certainly had a unique set up and I was eager because one of the main characters is a trans woman which there just aren't as many stories about.

Finding Tranquility opens with a present day situation for a hotel manager, Christa, who s
Lola
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I first stumbled upon this book I knew I had to read it. The concept jumped out at me and I was curious about the story. I bought it as soon as I could and started reading it shortly after. Finding Tranquility is a beautiful love story, about changes, love, making mistakes and finding yourself. It deals with some tough topics, but the tone wasn't overly emotional, it's more the subject matter itself that was emotional. I really enjoyed reading it and following the characters along.

After a s
Candace
May 16, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have more than a few problems with this book. First of all, I think that every writer should be wary of having their book’s plot turn on a national tragedy. I’m not saying that one cannot incorporate national tragedies into works of art, but if, for example, one could summarize the plot like this: “Brett is married and miserable. His wife has pressured him to take a plane flight he’s terrified of to an interview for a job he doesn’t want, but luckily for him, the plane he’s supposed to be on c ...more
Renée Dahlia
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for a review.

TW: 9/11, homophobic bashing

The opening line of this book is one of the best I've read in ages. It's memorable and it hooks you right into the story. And this story is beautiful - it's about discovery of self, broken trust and rebuilding of it, and how a happy ending doesn't have to be how it was originally imagined.

The main heroine is trans, and that informs much of the story. I thought it was dealt with in a lovely fashion, however, I'm
Estella Mirai
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Finding Tranquility is one of those rare books that manages to be many things at once. It is, as the cover states, a love story. It’s also a sort of coming-of-age story, a finding-yourself story, and although it’s still fairly recent history, a powerful historical novel as well. The story of Christa and Jess finding each other and finding their new places in each other’s worlds should, like most of the author’s works, appeal to fans of both women’s fiction and romance.

This book does deal with so
Ava
Apr 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting Story

I thought the book well written with engaging characters. And for me, the plot of Transgender and subsequent surgery to become the opposite sex a d how that affected the lives especially of the characters was enlightening.
I thought strange that the location of the story repeatedly described as liberal had gay bashing from college kids and neighbors moving g away because of a same sex couple in the neighborhood ironic.
Especially as much of the story is set after 2016.
I wonder if
Becky Baldridge
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
The emotions run the gamut in Finding Tranquility, and I felt every single one of them. At any given point, I was as likely to want to hug one of these characters as I was to want to shake the daylights out of them, Brett/Christa in particular. The thing is Brett didn't always make the wisest choices before or after becoming Christa, but the author tells the story in a way that those actions are understandable to some extent. Some more than others, but even when I disagreed, I still found the ch ...more
Kelley
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story sent me on a roller coaster ride of emotion--from confusion around Brett's decision to walk away after the tragic events of 9/11; to sorrow reliving Jess' grief in having to bury her husband; to relief in Brett's acceptance that while he was assigned-male-at-birth, he is really a woman; to the "oh shit, what are they going to do" moments when Jess and Christa's paths cross and Jess realizes Brett-who-is-now-Christa isn't dead--and everything in between.

I shook my fist. I cried. I swoo
Laura Brown
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4 1/2 Stars. Finding Tranquility is a powerful and deeply moving story. It brought me to tears several times and caught my heart strings. I really enjoyed reading about Christa’s journey and reconnection with her family. The story follows Christa’s fear of flying saving her from being on one of the ill-fated 9/11 flights. Faced with a new chance at life, she goes off to find herself, and transition to the woman she really is. Years later her wife discovers her and they begin to reconnect. I can’ ...more
Roberta Blablanski
2.5 rounded up

I truly wanted to like this more than I did. The ending left me disappointed and unsatisfied. Yes, there's a HEA, or maybe even a HFN, but I was left with too many questions.

Some of the plot twists were too ridiculous, outrageous, unbelievable to just accept at face value. I found myself rolling my eyes often and closing my Kindle in the middle of sentences to give myself a break.

Discovering your supposedly dead husband is actually alive and is now a woman is a big enough plot dev
Haley Harrigan
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A riveting, heartbreaking portrayal of a couple torn apart by secrets and brought back together by chance and love.

The 9/11 ticket-swap plot line was deeply compelling and grabbed me from the beginning, and the details and pain of that memorable day were realistically rendered. Christa's journey was multilayered (geographical, physical, and emotional) and I found it to be thoughtfully and sensitively written. Would recommend this book to anyone looking for a story of identity and complicated lo
L H
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I liked the main characters so much. Megan is an artist in need of time and the opportunity to pursue her passion. And money so that she can take that coveted trip to Italy. She also needed courage to let her best friend's brother Brian know that she had feelings for him. There was so much to like about this story where friends come to realize that they love one another and a good woman gets her shot. At being an artist. Again, with some help from her friends.

I received a free copy of this book
Beatrice Scott
What really stayed with me about this book is that the characters were true to themselves, and they faced the consequences of their actions and not taking the easy route.

Something I've always wondered is how many people took the opportunity of 9/11 to disappear? To become someone else? And the possibility of this is explored thoroughly in Finding Tranquility, with an incredible row of circumstances that lead to a chance for a completely new life.

Would recommend to people who like a (LGBTQ+) love
Tanya
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
He is going for an interview for a job, in the city but he wants nothing to do with any of it. He is about to board when he gives his ticket away. The plane so one that crashes the world trade centre. According to everyone he is dead so he becomes the woman he has always wanted to be. What will happen if he bumps into his wife? Follow him to see what is going to happen

Lisa H
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A most unique premise.

I can honestly say that this was a most unusual premise. Jess is married to Brett. Who escapes his wife and life to become Christa. Years later, they meet again and have to reconcile feelings and revelations.

voluntarily reviewed
S
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

I loved the characters in this book and how they all evolved. It also makes you wonder what you'd do at the crossroads of life when faced with the dilemma that everyone thinks you're dead.
Deedra
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it!This was an excellent story of a man who gave away his plane ticket on 9/11.When the plane hits the pentagon,he decides to stay dead,until he is found out. Tori Barron was a terrific narrator.I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
Molly
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A series of calamities and new beginnings

Brett and Jess had been friends since they were kids. They went to school together, went to college together and 9/11 happened.

Their worlds changed in unexpected ways.

Could they find their way back together after all that passed in the interim? At what costs?

Making things work in their new normal- not so simple after all

Intense finding themselves story.
Thaisa Moro
Selene Kallan
Apr 01, 2020

• Dear Wife
  • An Unwanted Guest
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Hers to Keep (Irresistibly Bound #3)
  • Scandalous
  • A Way Home (Gay Amish Romance #3)
  • Love On the Run (Love Stories, #1)
  • A Clean Break (Gay Amish Romance #2)
  • Happy Place (Rainbow Place, #5)
  • Guns Blazing
  • Slay My Love
  • Little Secrets
  • Falling Series Books #1-5
  • Natural Passion (Au Naturel Trilogy #1)
  • Lost Girl vs Wounded Boy (Forever Love #5)
  • My Fair Captain (Sci-Regency #1)
  • Buck Baxter, Love Detective (The Buck Baxter Mysteries, #1)
Laura Heffernan once broke up with her now-husband during a board game after realizing that he was ahead 96-3. She hasn't played that particular game since. Her best friend still talks about the Great Uno Card Throwing Incident of 2003. Yet, somehow, Laura insists that she is incredibly gracious whether winning or losing. She lives in the northeast with her husband, new baby, and two furry little ...more