Start by marking “Zinester's Guide to Portland: A Low/No Budget Guide to Living In and Visiting Portland, OR” as Want to Read:

Billed as a "low/no budget guide to visiting and living in Portland, Oregon," the Zinester's Guide to Portland breaks down the PDX grid by neighborhood with descriptions of good restaurants, thrift stores, bars, bridges, places to loiter, etc. (lots of etc.). The newly overhauled and illustrated fifth edition gets shoulder-deep into the history and local lore, providing a ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Microcosm Publishing (first published October 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Zinester's Guide to Portland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zinester's Guide to Portland

Sara
Apr 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I bought this before I moved to Portland it is way better than one of those tourist-y, landmark-only Fodder's-type travel books. This book is actually about the city itself, as though Portland were a character in a book. It's written by people that have actually lived here and can describe the essence and the flavor that is Portland. It describes what the culture of the city is like, gives some interesting, surprisingly little-known facts about the origin of the city, explains the different neig ...more
Shauna
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read the first edition long ago. I need another to show me the cool places in Portland to find bargains.
Fiona
A cute, helpful little book! The book itself is very Portland-y, was going to give 4/5 because it left out a couple of my favorite places, but I figured it will probably help me find new places... so I gave it an extra star.
HeavyReader
Nov 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any zine folk living in or visiting Portland
Recommended to HeavyReader by: Liz Dorman, Cassidy
Ok, so I didn't read every single word in this guidebook. It's not the kind of book you have to read cover to cover in order to know it's excellent.

Cassidy received this book while he was in prison, and he sent it to me when he was done with it. Before he sent it to me, he had his Portland friends annotate it. It rocks! Written in next to the Goodwill bins are the words "It's God!"

This book describes the Portland of most interest to the zine set, sector by sector.

I read the opening sections des
Whitney
Mar 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
I ordered this guide for $4 from Microcosm Publishing--an amazing deal for an amazing little book. It's written by locals and includes drawings of Portland neighborhoods and landmarks by Portlanders. I'm looking forward to eating at many of the recommended restaurants and really appreciated the extended chapters on public transit, biking, and miscellaneous Portland yore. I'll have more to report after I visit PDX in July.
Philip Gomez
Oct 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a great little, inexpensive ($5) book on Portland, with a history overview, details on each of the five regions, and lots of stuff missed by all the other Portland guidebooks. I defy you to find one guidebook out there that has entries for "Zoobombing", The Red & Black Cafe (run by a collective of anarchists), and Food Fight! (one of the very few, if not the only, vegan convenience stores in America.)
Don
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have not made a trip to Portland yet (perhaps later this year). This guide certainly fans the fire. I like the way the guide breaks down the city sections and the short, (mostly)unbiased reviews of the various establishments. What's best about this guide is that it is totally DIY with mostly independently owned businesses listed. Many of the the areas are hand illustrated by artists.
Jessica
Jan 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: reference, travel
A must for anyone on their way to Portland, zinester or not. Great information about all the best places to get delicious meals, hot coffee, art supplies, bevvies, bikes, books, and yes, comics and zines.
Jamie Felton
Nov 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Probably the best guide to Portland I have found. It's written by people who live here about the places that make Portland special. Also, it's broken down by neighborhood which makes it easy to navigate around.
Elizabeth
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a great guide to Portland on the cheap with lots of great suggestions. I'm going to Portland in Sept. Let you know then if it works practically.
Allison
portland is pretty rad.
Derek Neuland
Feb 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Best city guide i have ever read.
Bryan
Oct 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book helped me to find a lot of neat places around the city when I first moved here.
Amelia
Jul 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amelia by: The Northwest Institute for Social Change
Don't judge; it's saving my life these days.
TK Goldenbaum
Oct 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Newcomers to Portland
Shelves: portland
Invaluable little book that will truly help you feel your way around Portland.
Aicha
Staci
May 08, 2012
anya
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing

so handy when you're in the city of roses!
Melissa