Start by marking “RealLivePreacher.com” as Want to Read:
RealLivePreacher.com

RealLivePreacher.com

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In December of 2002, a pastor of a small Baptist church in South Texas began posting essays at a web log he called bReal Live Preacher.b From the beginning, the only claim he made was that he wanted to write as honestly as he could.Within a few months, thousands of people were coming to read his essays on life, faith, children, tamales, the stars, Jesus, and anything else ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about RealLivePreacher.com, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about RealLivePreacher.com

Azra
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was surprised to find this book on the shelf at a local thrift store. I had been a somewhat regular reader of the RLP blog a long time ago. This book has some of the writings from that blog.

Gordon Atkinson doesn't always seem like the average preacher. He writes about tamales; dropping F bombs, the little voice in the back of his head, and discovering the moon does indeed carry a very old power. He writes about the moments when he's alone in the church, setting up for the Sunday service. He a
Giedra
Oct 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of essays by Gordon Atkinson, author of the blog "Real Live Preacher." I have been reading his blog for several years, and purchased the book when he got a bunch of remaindered copies from his publisher and was trying to get rid of them to free up space in his living room. As a result, I have a lovely dried plumbago from his yard on p. 51.

Many of the essays also appeared on his blog, and I know a lot of his history by now, etc., so the book wasn't eye-opening or anything, bu
Tommy
Jun 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Any ordained minister who drops the "F" bomb and admits that, on many days, he's as much an atheist as he is a believer, is my kind of guy.

This book would be deemed heresy by a lot of church-goin' folk, which is precisely why I love it. I've always been a fan of seekers, not folks who think they have all the answers - and I prefer spiritual writers over 'religious' writers.

This book fits nicely betwixt the Dalai Lama's "The Art of Happiness" and some of Kurt Vonnegut's writing.

Andrew
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Church might be more compelling if this guy was preaching.
Joy Laughridge
Oct 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Not what you'd expect from a Baptist preacher in Texas beginning with the language! Great stories and insights. The kind of person who makes you feel better about your own messy spirituality.
Georgette
Texan church pastor Gordon Atkinson is an example of a blogger whose writing is so appealing that he was offered a book deal. Atkinson, more widely known to his online readership as The Preacher , discovered blogging as a relatively anonymous way of telling his stories and conveying his uncensored take on things. [return][return]Within months, his readership skyrocketed. People who found him can t help but tell their friends, regardless of religion, to come and read the blog of this preacher wh ...more
Linda
Dec 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Some of these blog posts are wonderful.
Vass
Feb 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, religion
Fantastic, except for the ooky gender issues. The 'young women's role is to be a flirting little tease' type. 'Little black book' made me *very* uncomfortable.
Brian Peace