Start by marking “Sort It Out!” as Want to Read:
Sort It Out!

Sort It Out!

Packy the Packrat's mother has had enough! It's time that he sorts through his ever-growing collection of trinkets and puts them away. Told in rhyme, the text leads the reader to participate in the sorting process by categorizing Packy's piles of things according to like characteristics and attributes. The story promotes and reinforces analogous thinking--a critical thinki ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Arbordale Publishing (first published March 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sort It Out!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sort It Out!

Start your review of Sort It Out!
Angie
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Teachers like it for the demonstration of "sorting." Kids like it for the pictures.

And I like it well enough. Just don't love it because it seems just a little bit forced. Just a little.
Kendra
What kid isn't a pack rat? I know that I have to sneak toys that my kids don't play with out of the house because if they see me putting them in a bag to leave they suddenly will want to play with it again. So I thought this book would be perfect for my four little monkeys. "Sort it Out!" by Barbara Mariconda was published in 2008. Packy the Packrat's mom had enough. she wants him to sort through his things and start getting rid of his things.

So the illustrations by Sherry Rogers are amazing th
Meredith
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lesson-plan
May or may not use the middle of the book to see if the kids can figure out Packy's sorting criteria.

I do really like what Mariconda says in her author info: "sorting and categorizing, recognized as a math and science skill, also powerfully relates to writing. In order to write in an organized fashion, to group like details with broader main ideas, to recognize the ways in which main ideas of writing may overlap and therefore encourage redundancy, it all comes down to the writer's ability to th
Library Lady Terri
Packy collects things and can find all kinds of different ways to sort them. Unlike most other "collecting" books Packy's things from first glance are all different but when you start thinking about their attributes you can see how they are connected.
Christine Grant
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Countdown to Kindergarten: Sorting

This was too difficult for my class though I really like the concept.
Jessica
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book for teaching organizing and sorting. My 3 and 5 year old enjoyed trying to guess how Packy was sorting his items.
Destiny
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I liked that there is a great activity that goes with it and you can have a class or small group sort the things to see if they come up wit anything similar to Packy. It is a fun book that teaches a great lesson on sorting and how you can sort so many different ways. The next generation needs to learn that there is different ways to do thing and no on way is always right. If it was then we would go no where as a society or people. The way of thinking differently is how change is ...more
Jennifer Berg
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math-books
This fun rhyming book is an excellent resource to be used in classrooms during lessons on sorting. Taking what seem to be completely unrelated objects, the main character shows students how many similarities between these objects can be found, when looking at a variety of traits. This book will expose your students to an abundance of ways that objects can be grouped together, and will get your students excited to sort objects themselves!
Kylie
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sort it Out is a book that follows Packy the pack rat as he sorts out the things he has taken for the day.

I loved this book. I think it combines a great use of rhyme with a simple teaching of sorting a classifying. I would use this book in my classroom when talking about similarities and differences, as well as when talking about sorting out objects. I loved that the author included some teacher idea/resources in the back. What a great book for an elementary/early childhood classroom!
Katrina Gray
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 16-science
A good book to talk about classification with a child or class. A little confusing if you are trying to follow the storyline. The mother asks the child to clean up his things, and he starts sorting it, but sometimes the same thing ends up in different piles because it has more than one characteristic, so besides the hand stealing things in the background, it's hard to keep track of everything the mouse brought home.
Cheryl
Apr 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good concept book to explain sorting and classifying things. Might use this as background for lesson in library arrangement. Illustrations of mice characters are quite precious. All in all, I was a bit surprised to learn this is a contender for the 2009 Children's Choice award, given its didactic tone. I'll give it a try with the kids.
Sheri
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a cute story about a pack rat with too much stuff and having to sort it out and clean his room and clutter. Great for working with math concepts in classroom of sorting. I would recommend it to early elementary teachers. Cute introduction to finding the similarities and differences in items and rhyming text.
Rebecca Murphy
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great book to use for teaching children about categorizing and organizing. It teaches the many different ways that things can be different while still having similarities. There is also a lesson idea at the end, which is always helpful when teaching. It's a cute and educational story that would be great to use in a classroom.
Destinee Sutton
May 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preschool, maybe Kindergarten
Shelves: picture-books
A rhyming picture book about classification with lots of puzzles and activities included. I wasn't captivated by it, but it won a Children's Choice award, and I won't argue with that. The funny thing is I thought in the end it was pretty lousy of the little mouse's mom to steal all his stuff.
MissInformation
Jul 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Fun book about mouse who sorts out his treasures into different categories at the end of the day. Rhymes, and includes info and activities at the end- even has "cards" that you can copy and sort into categories.

Wish the illustrations were cuter, but excellent for educational fun.
☆Brittany☆
Great sorting & concept book.
Good enough that had I known about it a few years ago I would have bought it for Ethan. I think it would be a waste to buy this book now since he's almost in kindergarten & knows a lot of the stuff in the book.
Morgan Sommers
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great book to help children learn how to categorizing objects! I thought it was a cute story to go along with learning. The pictures in it were great! They went along with the story and I loved how they focused mainly on the object they were categorizing.
Lynnette
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: febuary
I absolutely loved this book. The pictures fit perfectly with what is happening and the writing is very predictable and easy to read. This is a great science book to read with children when teaching them about sorting things and rhyming words.
Edna
Really cute book explaining how a child-mouse sorts his stuff - the process and items are described in rhymes making it fun to read while teaching children how to categorize "things."
Tasha Sylvester
Oct 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a cute book that goes along great with our math lessons and has characters with traits very much like my own girls.
Tina B
Dec 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"sorting, collections, mice, vocabulary, guess the rhyme, activity section in the back"
Hilary Mclellan
A cute 2X2 book this year. Would be a great book for primary teachers teaching sorting and classifying or properties of matter.
Michael
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book for teaching sorting by different categories! 4 years old was pushing it but she figured most of them out. Fun bold drawings.
Julie Surface
Nov 06, 2014 rated it liked it
it was a cute science book.
Tons of activities to do too.
Alissa Sparks
This book is an excellent way to have an actual bag of items to help teach the class to thing more. Kindergarten through first graders would probably enjoy this book more.
Morgan Bradshaw
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love the interaction that we can have with the students. As well it is a very good way to teach sorting and colors.
Susie
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Classifying book. Super cute. I will need a little checkered bag to hold the items. Great for preschool and kindergarten.
April
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is great to use in a preschool. It has a fun little story that teaches how to sort. You can use it to show students there are different ways to sort.
Karen
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pre schoolers and their parents
Recommended to Karen by: library book
This little pack rat is told to sort out his things and put them away. He sorts by color, things with shells, things with similar purpose, etc. Cute, simple, and introduces sorting.
Ashley Martin
The story will help the child organize objects by color and shape and put them in categories.

• On the Move: Mass Migrations
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • A Day in the Deep (Physical & Behavioral Adaptation)
  • Sorting at the Market
  • A Day in a Forested Wetland
  • Sharks and Dolphins
  • Hannah's Collections
  • A Day on the Mountain (Physical & Behavioral Adaptation)
  • Count Down to Fall
  • Full Moon Lore
  • The Deductive Detective
  • Amazing Grace
  • The Right Track (Disney Frozen: Northern Lights)
  • Once Upon an Elephant
  • Night Creepers
  • No Monkeys, No Chocolate
  • Big Blue
  • Uni the Unicorn and the Dream Come True (Uni the Unicorn, #2)

News & Interviews