Start by marking “Black Tangled Heart (Play On, #3)” as Want to Read:
Black Tangled Heart (Play On, #3)

Black Tangled Heart

(Play On #3)

Black Tangled Heart is a complete standalone. The Play On series are books connected by the theme of the arts industry, not by characters, and can be read in any order.

To my siblings, Jane was a friend. A pseudo-sister, the girl we grew up with.
To me? She was everything.
Our passion consumed us.

When our world fell apart, I thought our love would be the thing that held us to
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 374 pages
Published May 15th 2020 by Samantha Young

Start your review of Black Tangled Heart (Play On, #3)
Anovelqueen
***4.5 STARS***

Oh, my goodness, I feel like I have been through the wash. I am emotionally drained. I pulled an all-nighter because I could not put this book down. I had to know what happened. I cannot believe everything that happened in one book. This is one talented author.

This book delves into the relationship between Jamie and Jane. Jane is living in a foster home when she meets a girl, Lorna, in the stairwell of their apartment building. They become friends and soon Jane is accepted as part
Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾
5 STARS
A love that consumes, consumes everything unto utter desolation.”

I loved this so hard! SO FREAKING HARD! I can't even deal right now. I need a minute to calm my tits and collect my thoughts here.

Ok. I've calmed my tits. Maybe. I may have fangirling bursts throughout the review. Fair warning. So deal with it, mkay?

If you haven't read Young's Play On series yet, you're seriously missing out. I've loved every book so far, but this one was definitely my favorite. And if you haven'
✰ Liz ✰
"Loving me will be nowhere near as easy as it will be for me to love you."
description

Black Tangled Heart is the third book in the Play On Series. A stand-alone full of passion, complex characters, and suspense, Samantha Young delivers a blockbuster hit which kept me on the edge of my seat the entire read! Jane Doe is a girl that is no stranger to heartbreak and abandonment. When she befriends a family with a loving older sister, a smoking hot teenage boy, and a spunky girl named Lorna, Jane knows she h
Kristen
3 1/2 maybe 4 Stars
To be honest, I’m not fully sure how I feel about this book. It felt like two completely different stories, with two completely different heroes and heroines, wrapped into one storyline. I guess that was intentional, considering the overall plot, but I’m not sure I liked such a drastic change from the first half to the second. I understand why it happened though.
I loved the first half of Jamie and Jane’s love story. It was a definite 5 stars. The second half, however, I didn
Christy
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it

This was such an emotional and heart wrenching best friend's brother romance. It started out with young love then took a turn I wasn't expecting. Jane and Jamie went through more than any couple should have to endure and it almost broke them. Almost. This was a story of redemption and second chances at love. I wish we would have had more time as them as adults as a couple, otherwise, I adored this one!
Audio book source: Audible (purchased)
Story Rating: 4.25 stars
Narrators: Lauren
Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reading this was like entering a time warp, going back to that moment where I first discovered my love of romance, where the storylines felt fresh and unique, and the feels were utterly explosive! Black Tangled Heart felt like that, like I was experiencing romance for the very first time and it's was breathtaking, soul stealing, pulse pounding! A heady, visceral, electrifying rush. I can't even tell you! I fell head first into a black hole of ALL things Jamie and Jane and I COULD NOT FIND MY WAY ...more
Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog
*****FOUR STARS*****
{ARC Provided by Author}

BLACK TANGLED HEART is an angst-filled, wildly steamy "second-chance/in-love-with-the-best friend’s older brother", contemporary romance. The pace of the plot progression was steady. It held my attention throughout. There is a secondary character that proves to be a consistent villain, it was easy to
MELISSA *Mel Reader*
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
4.5 Stars!
(ARC provided by author)

-“A love that consumes, consumes everything unto utter desolation.”

-I feel like I’m coming out of my skin. You’re all I think about. You’re all I want.

06957D91_C1DC_4A8E_96A8_58EE614A3044

Jane grew up in the foster system in California. She’d had no one since she was seven. She was an introvert who enjoyed her books and drawing, and tried to make the most of what she had. Then she meets two sisters and a brother from Boston who feel like home to her. The McKenna’s had also experienced a hard star
✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰
IT'S FINALLY LIVE

description

In the first part of the book we go back in time.

Artist Jane is 13 and writer Jamie is 15 years old.

The day Jamie and his two sisters move into the apartment complex in Glendale, California, Jane becomes the new best friend of Jamie's younger sister Lorna. Their older sister Skye is an actress - she took the teenagers in when their mother died a few months ago.

Jane has been living with her current foster family for a couple years now. She's happy with them.

As the months and ye
K.A. Tucker
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Readers are in for a thrilling and emotional ride with this one! The storyline is engrossing, the characters are complex, and the chemistry is off-the-charts palpable. It's my favorite book by Samantha Young to date.

I had no idea what this book was about when I received an ARC (I didn't read the description) but because it was Samantha Young writing it, I didn't feel the need to check.
I stayed up until 2 a.m. reading last night and it was SO worth the loss of sleep. This story spans from childho
Syndi
Dec 07, 2020 rated it liked it
It has been a while since I read Miss Young book. When I picked up Black Tangle Heart, I was expecting a full angst drama romance. Revenge romance. What I found, disappointed me a bit. The first half of the book, where Jamie and Jane's young romance blossomed, it was romantic. Promising a heart break later on the middle of the book, I keep listening.

The last half, when Jamie changed into a different man, is ridiculous. Miss Young inspired by Count of Monte Cristo. The revenge that is brutal and
Sentranced Jem
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
if there is one contemporary romance book I would recommend you to read now, it's this book.

I can't explain how much I LOVED reading Black Tangled Heart.

Don't over think it and just buy this book. You won't regret it.
Jo - •.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•
‘Perhaps our love was all-consuming. Perhaps it would devour us.’

Jane has been in foster since her adoptive parents passed away. This story begins when she is 13 years old. She is living with a nice foster couple but she is a bit of a loner. She loves to draw and when she is encouraged to go out and be social you will find her with her sketch pad and charcoal, lost in her creativity, alone.

‘Sketching made everything else go away. The loneliness. My fears. The separation I felt from almost
Bookphenomena (Micky)

BLACK TANGLED HEART was a story of two parts and I love it when a book moves through time frames for the characters. The first part of this book gave me Kissing Booth vibes with the two MCs Jane and Jamie. The young love and connection between these two was desperate and passionate but also brushed with the sweetness of first love.

But this was much more than a love story, it was a story of families and their flaws. Jane was an unofficial family member of the McKenna siblings but she lov
Jennifer Kyle
May 20, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars 🌟
Beatrice Masaluñga
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-adult, arc
Ms. Samantha Young forewarned us that this novel will be an emotional roller coaster ride but I never expected it'll be draining/ this heavy. Black Tangled Heart is a coming-of-age romance novel about Jane Doe & Jamie McKenna. A trigger warning for everyone: it tackles abuse, addiction and has a revenge plot. If you uncomfortable with these topics, this might not be for you.

Jane Doe / Margot Higgins is a foster kid. Being an orphan at such a young age taught her a lot of lessons living in diffe
Antonella
first, let's take a moment of appreciation of this cover because holy smokes...

now, of to the book
it seems like this is a series all over the place for me..I really enjoyed book two but book one Play On and this one are just not my thing..

random ramblings of things that bothered me;

- his revenge against her is in a nutshell because she dared to leave him and move on (of course that is not a case but he thinks so)

- she stayed loyal to him and he slept around with OW during the separation

not
Natasha is a Book Junkie
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A devastatingly beautiful tale of first love and second chances, Samantha Young's newest novel is to die for. We watch the leads slowly fall in love as teenagers, becoming each other's everything in a world that has not treated them kindly from a very young age. But then everything is tragically taken away from them and they don't see each other for years. When their paths cross again, they are no longer the same people they once were, and the hero has only one thing on his mind—revenge. Perfect ...more
✨Lucy❣️
The cover alone screams angst filled love story. That’s only a taste of the beautiful love story of Jamie and Jane in “Black Tangled Heart.”

Before Jane Doe chases her fairytale into the arms of the man she loves. She’s reminded repeatedly love has its flaws. If her name is any indication of the sorrow she hindered living as an orphan girl in the shadow of others. Until she finds the one boy who helps her find her light. Although when you find someone who loves you as much as Jamie Mckenna loves
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
description

‘I didn’t understand what pulled us together. I didn’t know what made Jane Doe the only woman who satisfied my heart, body, and soul. I didn’t need to know. I just had to do what I could to not lose her.’

Black Tangled Heart has catapulted itself to the top of our list as one of our favourite Samantha Young books! What a story! We devoured every word in a book we found impossible to put down. Black Tangled Heart is first and foremost a standalone story of true and intense soulmate love, yet Saman
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
4.5-5 ⭐'s

Good Lord...why did I put this book off? It was sooo good and sooo tangled!

Jamie and Jane meet when he and his sisters move into Jane's apartment complex. Jane is thirteen and Jamie's younger sister, Lorna, immediately puts her in the best friend category and names off several rules that become very important in the future.

Jane is quiet and doesn't have really any friends so she welcomes Lorna's...and Jamie's friendship. She and Jamie have more of a slow build and as they become olde
Mizz Latte
May 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Would have been a 4 star read for me apart from this line:

Heroine actually said this to the Hero: "Why is it always the way? Huh?" A tear slipped down my cheek before I could stop it, and I hated myself for the weakness. Jamie's eyes followed the tear as if he were entranced. "Why is the woman always the one who's faithful with her body, but the guy never is?""

Great self-awareness from the author but such a pity that the author decides to still ensure the Heroine only ever has sex with the Hero
Izzie d
May 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: second-chance, angst
Bookgasms Book Blog
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ratula
AHHHH!! Samantha Young has done it again!! I absolutely love her Play On series and was so excited for another story in this world. I am so obsessed with Jamie and Jane. Their connection was electric and fiery and I for one could not get enough. This is one of the best Samantha Young stories I have ever read!!!!

Without a doubt, I absolutely loved the different tropes in this story: Best friend's older brother/taboo type stories are my jam but there was something about Jamie and Jane that made
~♡AB♡~
It's been a good few years since I read a Sam Young book, but this one really caught my eye and I am glad I took the plunge. The first half of the book was a real page-turner, a story of young love and overcoming childhood traumas. The second half took a slightly different turn and whilst it was good, I felt it was really hard to reconcile the hero of the present with who he was as a young man - I still loved reading it but it didn't quite hit the 5 star spot by the end.

3.5 Stars
AJ
5 stars and all the feels!

Holy damn, what a ride! Dramatic, romantic, passionate, intense and angsty, Samantha Young brings all the feels to this book, and it’s an amazing read! Full of emotion, this second-chance-romance had me swooning, crying and falling in love over and over again, and I loved every moment of it!

This book is part of the Play On series, but note that these books are grouped together by theme (the arts) only. They are complete standalones with no character crossover, and they
• Jodi Bibliophile •
Such a beautiful story that really pulled at my heart strings. I absolutely loved the early days of the book, and felt so much passion between Jamie & Jane. Although I really enjoyed their story, it wasn’t the 5 star read I was hoping for, as there were parts that just couldn’t quite get there for me, especially in the later days, but still I couldn’t put it down and would definitely recommend it!
Kathryn
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
BRILLIANT... CAPTIVATING... INTENSE...PASSIONATE...This book had me in twisted knots all the way through.
I literally couldn’t put it down.
Full review to come once my head and emotions settle... just wow!!!

I was so excited to dive into this new book from Samantha Young. I’ve truly enjoyed this series and has an idea of what I thought this book would be like..
Well excuse me.. this book was nothing like I expected.. it blew me away!! (Not to say my idea of it wouldn’t have blown me away.. just tha
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020

Steffi De Ceuster  ♥
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
ARC received by author in exchange for an honest review!

I adore this author! Because of her I fell in love with reading and it became slightly addictive.

I loved this story, but I liked the present more than the past.. It's a me thing, because I love the chase and in the past part there wasn't a real long chase.. It kind of was a done deal, which is good as well, but it finishes the story quickly for me. I kind of felt the plot coming. It was just too clear the real love between Jamie and Jane.
M

• Twist Me (Twist Me, #1)
  • You Deserve Each Other
  • Cruel King (Royal Elite, #0)
  • Arson's Captive
  • Steel Princess (Royal Elite, #2)
  • Twisted Kingdom (Royal Elite, #3)
  • Crown of Lies (Truth and Lies Duet, #1)
  • Abducted
  • If You Dare (Dare #3)
  • California Dreamin'
  • Virtue & Vanity
  • Ghost of a Chance (Wilde Ways, #6)
  • Obsession (Seven Deadly Sins, #2)
  • Rebirth (RAW Family, #3)
  • Blood Always (The Five Families #3)
  • Code of Silence
  • Bound by Forever (True Immortality, #3)
  • Heartless King (Kings of Rittenhouse, #5)
Samantha Young is a New York Times, USA Today and Wall Street Journal bestselling author. She's been nominated for several Goodreads Choice Awards. Samantha writes adult contemporary and paranormal romance, YA urban fantasy and YA contemporary fiction and is currently published in 31 countries.
She resides in Scotland.

Play On (3 books)
  • Play On (Play On, #1)
  • As Dust Dances (Play On, #2)