Start by marking “Exploded View” as Want to Read:
Exploded View

Exploded View

A dangerous man moves in with a mother and her two adolescent children. The man runs an unlicensed mechanic’s workshop at the back of their property. The girl resists the man with silence, and finally with sabotage. She fights him at the place where she believes his heart lives—in the engine of the car.

Set at the close of the 1970s and traversing thousands of kilometres of
Published March 5th 2019 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Exploded View, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exploded View

Text Publishing
Feb 28, 2019 is currently reading it
‘This tense novel, held tightly with elegant restraint, is hard to read for the best possible reasons. It asks a lot of its reader, but it offers the most satisfying rewards.’
The Lifted Brow

‘Exploded View has all the exhilaration of a revved-up Holden’
Age

‘Exploded View…(is) a measured, poetic focus on the small details in nature, roads and relationships.’
Arts Hub

‘This is Tiffany’s triumph…her prose has the alert, truncated poetry of a preternatural wise child—lyrical without being florid, c
Sharon
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adlww2019
Exploded View is an intense literary piece, written with precision and tuned carefully for maximum emotional effect. This is the sort of novel I wouldn't be surprised to see on the Women's Prize list. Having said that, there is so much darkness in the story that it can be hard going at times, and readers should note triggers for sexual abuse, domestic violence and suicide.

Our narrator lives with her mother, brother and mechanic stepfather in 1970s suburban Australia. The novel follows the family
Alice Cottrell
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a spare and intense book; a compelling depiction of a teenage girl's interior life. It took me a little while to get into the voice, but once I did I was hooked. Menacing, moving and incredibly visual.
Lisa
Mar 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
I have really, really liked Carrie Tiffany's previous fiction, and was eagerly anticipating reading her new one ... so I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I am by her latest book, Exploded View. If it had been written by anybody else I wouldn't have read it at all. I would have abandoned it as soon as I realised, and now I wish I had: it's yet another one about a child damaged by sustained abuse, a topic so done to death I can't believe that contemporary authors and publishers think there ...more
Angela
Romona
Feb 04, 2019
Allison Browning
Feb 14, 2019
Carrie Tiffany was born in 1965 in Halifax, West Yorkshire and migrated to Australia with her family in the early 1970s. She grew up in Perth, Western Australia. In her early twenties she worked as a park ranger in Central Australia.
She moved to Melbourne in 1988 where she began work as a writer, focusing mainly on agriculture. Tiffany took up writing fiction and completed a creative writing cours