Start by marking “Monkey Arkwright (Wardens of the Black Heart #1)” as Want to Read:
Monkey Arkwright (Wardens of the Black Heart #1)

Monkey Arkwright (Wardens of the Black Heart #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  25 ratings  ·  15 reviews
An alternative cover edition for this ASIN can be found here.

Budding writer Lorna Bryson is struggling to come to terms with the recent death of her father when she meets Monkey Arkwright, the boy who loves to climb. The two strike up an immediate rapport, and Monkey challenges her to write about him, claiming that he can show her things that are worth writing about.

True
Published November 2018 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Monkey Arkwright, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monkey Arkwright

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Monkey Arkwright (Wardens of the Black Heart #1)
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to Rachel’s Random Resources and Amazon Digital Services for this free copy. All quotes in this review are taken from the Advanced Reader Copy and may change in final publication.

I’m sorry that this is going to be pretty short. I’ve been having major headaches still and I just want to make sure that this gets out at least sometime today.

This book was interesting for a YA
Mark Tilbury
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a tale of mystery and suspense. One where you have to find clues alongside the characters. There were times when I wondered where the story was going, and what some character's motivations were, but all questions were answered.

I enjoyed the supernatural elements to the story. There are no ghosts, vampires etc, but the story does make you question your opinions on luck, faith and why things happen the way they do. One character, Charles Gooch, makes you feel uneasy and wary of his
Jane Hunt
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it

A curious couple of youngsters are drawn together and into a strange and rather dark mystery, with supernatural elements. The characters in this book are complex and quirky, adding to their appeal, and allowing them to view events in a different light from the norm. The plot is detailed and fits together nicely, it is layered without appearing convoluted and is resolved well.

Both teenagers have sadness in their lives, and perhaps they see this similarity in each other and that's what makes them
Jessica Belmont
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Monkey Arkwrightis a fun mystery featuring two quirky characters that had me entertained from beginning to end. I absolutely loved the characters. They were immersive and comical.

The mystery is well-developed. I fell right into the story and didn’t want to leave. Rob Campbell is a fantastic writer who is able to suck his readers in and keep them in.

Overall, this was a fun Middle-Grade/YA novel. I really enjoyed it and recommend checking it out!

*I was sent afreecopy of this book in exchange for
Michelle Whitham (curled_up_with_a_good_book)
I’m looking forward to the next one!!

I really enjoy reading YA and love a mystery so when I was contacted to see if I would like to review this, of course I said yes!

This is Campbells first novel and it’s brilliant and very well written. I haven’t read anything similar to this before and really enjoyed the characters and the mystery in it. There are numerous characters that we meet throughout the book, all of which I had strong feelings towards….I either loved them, hated them or was completely
Jasmine
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Monkey Arkwright is one of those books where you're not sure what to expect, but once you start, you find yourself falling down a rabbit hole filled with mystery, intrigue, and some strangely fascinating supernatural elements. I rather enjoyed this book, and I now can't wait to get my hands on the second book in the series.

The story follows Lorna and Monkey, two teens who discover a mysterious coin in the woods one day, and it's that coin that sets off the crazy events that play out throughout
A.M. Goetz
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully entertaining read! I enjoy books that are exceptionally well written, and Monkey Arkwright did not fail to deliver. Loved my adventure with Monkey and Lorna, and the ending was inspired! Highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good, rollicking mystery.
Marianne Reese
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The characters are well developed — some I loved, some I wanted to punch in the face, and some I’m still not quite sure if they are good guys. The mystery behind missing objects and the magic they held was intriguing. There were a few unexpected twists, and each character had me guessing what their end roll would be in this saga.
The book ends with hints of a sequel!
Tech XXIII
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If It Wasn't For Those Meddling Kids........
.....there'd be no story, and who would stop the dirty work of the wardens of the black heart? who'd combat the 'bad luck illuminati' ' as fronted by the shady and vindictively poisonous, charles gooch? as you might imagine, cue the meddling kids - 15 year old lorna, who has journalistic ambitions, and 13 year old monkey, who has a passion for climbing things, are thrown together in the pursuit of their interests, and propelled into this absorbing
Thomas
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a thoroughly engrossing book! From the first chapter describing the meeting of our two heroes, the book kept building on the initial plot of two misfit teenagers getting to know one another, adding layers of plot, I genuinely had no idea where the book was going and was intrigued to read the next chapter each time.

I'd struggle to compare it to any book I'd read but enjoyed a lot of the early building of the relationship between Monkey and Lorna, it reminded me of books I enjoyed as a child,
Susi Wright
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This has a very well-written plot and strong characters, which absorbed me to the last page. Lorna is a young writer looking for a new story to take her mind off the death of her father. When she meets Monkey, an intriguing teenage boy, with a strange talent for climbing, she gets a story far beyond what she bargained for, which turns into an adventure full of mystery and danger. The two friends get involved in a search for the owner of an old coin, but it doesn't end there, as they become ...more
George
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished Monkey Arkwright today.

I liked it, seemed very promising, setting down the groundwork for what looks to be an entertaining series.

It's very well written for someone's first novel.

The characters are very strong, Monkey in particular is great.

Halfway through I was curious as there seemed to be a lot of plot threads unresolved, and I was impressed with how they all came together at the end.

I look forward to the next book in the series.

It gets 4 stars as once it started coming together I
Christine Keleny
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It takes a while for the story to come together but Campbells writing is entertaining, so the wait in enjoyable. Monkey - yes, that's a person - and his friend Lorna feel like real people so you want to find out what happens to them. The rich excentric that hires them - though doesn't pay them - seems a bit far fetched when he doesn't exactly know what he needs them for apart from Monkey's climbing skills. I'm not sure why Lorna gets to tag along. The plot is intriguing but the whole book seems ...more
Liam Robert Mullen
Thoroughly enjoyed this book recently. A tale of friendship and eccentric characters that moulded into a very fine book.
Ed Ryder
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great debut novel

A more in-depth review to follow...
Marty Conley
Solfreedom
May 20, 2018

• You Too?
  • The City of Souls
  • Fighting Back (Battle Ground #4)
  • The Cornish Secret of Summer's Promise (A Little Hotel in Cornwall Book 4)
  • Augur of Shadows (Destined #1)
  • Arrows of Fire
  • Perfect Match
  • Amber Hollow
  • The Bus Ride: A Zany Busnapping Adventure
  • Million Eyes
  • The Little Bookshop on the Seine (The Little Paris Collection, #1; The Bookshop, #2)
  • The Cursed Key (The Cursed Key Trilogy, #1)
  • A Love Hate Thing
  • Heir of Lies (Black Dawn Series Book One)
  • Lost Girl: A Shelby Day Novel
  • Every Other Weekend
  • The Haunting at Paradise House
  • Jane Anonymous
1 follower
Rob Campbell was born in the blue half of Manchester.

He studied Electrical & Electronic Engineering at Manchester Polytechnic, gaining an honours degree, but the fact that he got a U in his Chemistry O-Level helps to keep him grounded.

Having had a belly full of capacitors and banana plugs, on graduation he transferred his skills to software engineering. He still writes code by day, but now he