Start by marking “Geek and Ye Shall Find: Devotions for Nerds, Geeks, and Dorks Everywhere” as Want to Read:
Geek and Ye Shall Find: Devotions for Nerds, Geeks, and Dorks Everywhere

Geek and Ye Shall Find: Devotions for Nerds, Geeks, and Dorks Everywhere

Go Forth and Geek Out!

Nerd. Geek. Dungeon Master. These used to be derisive labels. But now, geek is the new chic.

Humorist, cartoonist, and geek culture enthusiast Ellen Elliott invites you to embrace your inner Spock and boldly go where no devotional has gone before—on a righteous, pop culture-filled quest for truth, meaning, and authenticity.

From Lost to Back to the Futu
Published April 2nd 2019 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Geek and Ye Shall Find, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Geek and Ye Shall Find

Start your review of Geek and Ye Shall Find: Devotions for Nerds, Geeks, and Dorks Everywhere
Cynthia
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked the connection between religion and pop culture in this book. However, the book is aimed at a fairly conservative audience, and I'm not sure it would appeal to younger and more progressive readers. Also, many of the pop culture references are fairly dated - Back to the Future, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Star Trek. Many younger readers, I fear, may not have seen these movies/shows.
Sweetheart_Seer
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*I was sent an e-arc from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

I was browsing Netgalley in a reading slump as I have really only read graphic novels and a poetry book here and there so far this year. Actual full length novels just weren't calling to me. I came across this, read the description, and thought yeah okay this sounds good. Little out of my norm, but I'm super geeky so why not?

I also have something to confess...I used to be Christian but changed Faith's in adulthood. I had many
Lisa
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devotionals
Have you ever thought that there just aren't any good devotionals out there for the geeks among us? Geek and Ye Shall Find would have you think differently. This book is a series of devotionals with geek-a-riffic themes. Pulling from fandoms like Star Wars and Star Trek, and from a wealth of other pop culture references, Ellen Elliott shares scriptural insights in a way that even the geekiest among us can relate to. I am a geek and a nerd, and these devotionals are a great way to close out my da ...more
Andy Hickman
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
“Geek and Ye Shall Find: Devotions for Nerds, Geeks, and Dorks Everywhere” by Ellen Elliott
Reeking of American evangelicalism, but hey, to be expected.
Objects completely different on the inside than they were on the outside such as
• Oscar the Grouch’s trashcan
• Mary Poppins’s bag
• Jeannie’s bottle
• Doctor Who’s TARDIS (p93)
She talks about worshiping false gods (2 Kings 23:32; Jeremiah 11:10, 18-23) and how Jeremiah was bound (Jeremiah 20:2).
There is a spelling error on “Jeremiah was thrown in pr
Katheryne
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ellen Elliot’s devotional is just plain fun - and also seriously thought provoking, much like the pop-culture references that geeks, nerds, and super fans the world over are uber passionate about. We fall in love with our superheroes, get addicted to our games, and binge watch our beloved shows and movies over and over. Now Elliott has given us a book full of insights that link our fandoms to spiritual truths from the Bible. Drawing on Biblical passages, recaps and excerpts, and her own life exp ...more
Sunny Skaggs
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully geeky book that perfectly mixes fun and silliness with serious spiritual issues. Wonderful for preteens and adults looking for a unique perspective on being a Christian.
Erica (The Literary Apothecary)
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Geek and Ye Shall Find completely changed my life. Ellen takes the common stuff us geeks enjoys and infuses with Scripture. The links she finds between geekdom and Scripture was amazing and unexpected.
Are you a geek? No...Are you a Christian Geek? If so, consider adding this as a daily devotional. The chapters are short and begin with an appropriate verse that ties into whatever out-of-this-world scenario she has planned.
Josh
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Geek and You Shall Find is subtitled a Devotion for Nerds, Geeks and Dorks Everywhere. However even the average viewer of pop culture will know of most of massively varied fandoms included. There are a few that are expected and a few that would be hard to expect. This devotional is unique, the content involved doesn’t always follow the stereotypical allusions that you would normally expect. This is very helpful as it in agreement with Ellen’s great, conversational writing style to draw the reade ...more
Maggie Nambot (macarons & paperbacks)
This was a thoroughly entertaining devotional that reminded me that God's truths can be found in the most unlikeliest of places, including within my favorite fandoms. I enjoyed reading Ellen Elliot's anecdotes about unconventional ways God reached out to her, and the nostalgia of revisiting some of my favorite geeky movies and tv shows was also a plus.
J.D. DeHart
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Geek and Ye Shall Find is original and interesting. I've read many devotions, but not like this. Author Ellen Elliott does something fairly new here, mingling belief with nerd culture. Nicely done.
Steven Kinner

• A Brief History of Seven Killings
  • Look Again: How to Experience the Old Masters
  • Doctor Who: Timelash
  • Doctor Who and the Invasion of the Dinosaurs
  • A Generous Orthodoxy: Why I am a missional, evangelical, post/protestant, liberal/conservative, biblical, charismatic/contemplative, fundamentalist/calvinist, anabaptist/anglican, incarnational, depressed-yet-hopeful, emergent, unfinished Christian
  • Sam Walton: Made In America
  • The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint
  • The Best Bad Things
  • White
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years, #1)
  • Westering Women
  • The Middle Matters: Why That (Extra)Ordinary Life Looks Really Good on You
ELLEN ELLIOTT graduated with an art degree from Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas. She works in a variety of mediums—from acrylic and watercolor to collage and digital—and is continually inspired by her favorite artists, including Mercer Mayer, Tomie dePaola, Jim Henson and many mid-century modern illustrators. Ellen has illustrated children's books and created gift products for DaySpring C ...more