Start by marking “The Legacy of Beauregarde” as Want to Read:
The Legacy of Beauregarde

The Legacy of Beauregarde

‘You could lose someone down there, couldn’t you? Anyone could get buried under the concrete slab, and no one would even know!’

The Beauregarde women have lived in the shadow of The Seminary for four generations. And there is nothing conventional about Marcela, or her family.

When the decadent and obsessive Gordana acquires the iconic Sydney property and invites a televisio
Published July 9th 2018 by Moshpit Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Legacy of Beauregarde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legacy of Beauregarde

Start your review of The Legacy of Beauregarde
Christine
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Having read and enjoyed Ms. Fedele’s debut novel, The Red Door, I was eager to jump right into this, her second book. I didn’t know what to expect as I went in cold as I often do and was pleasantly surprised to find several recurring characters from her first book. Though having read The Red Door beforehand was nice, I believe The Legacy of Beauregarde could easily be read as a standalone.

This novel takes place in Australia in 1990. The setting centers on The Seminary, a majestic estate p
Suzanne
Rosa Fedele is always trusted to produce a creative, witty, fabulous and very ‘Aussie’ tale. I was graciously furnished with a hard copy for review (along with some lovely postcard illustrations), and what a lovely book to hold in my hands. Rosa is one of those enigmas [to me]. An accomplished illustrator, her work is divine, soulful and full of depth. The characters were almost touchable women as their images were scattered through the pages.

Being a child of the 80’s, as was the case with the a
Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf)
4.5 Stars
A few years ago, talented Australian artist and aspiring author Rosa Fedele sent me her debut novel to review, The Red Door. I really enjoyed that book and was excited when she released her second novel The Legacy of Beauregarde.

In Sydney City 1990 an affluent couple purchase The Seminary, a large estate in need of restoration. As they restore the property, they attempt to relocate Marcela, who lives in a large cottage next to it. However, her family have lived there for generations, an
Rebecca McNutt
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best way I can describe The Legacy of Beauregarde is "Australian gothic". Set in a beautiful mansion with dark secrets, this book is beautiful in so many ways, especially in its evocative scenery, well-developed characters and of course the illustrations. In 1990, a dysfunctional couple plan to redecorate the abandoned mansion and breathe new life into it, all under the eyes of video cameras capturing the whole thing for reality television. Of course, this desolate homestead harbours deep, p ...more
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
An immersive experience awaits the reader when they select The Legacy of Beauregarde, by author and artist Rosa Fedele. This is Fedele’s second book and can be read very easily as a standalone novel, however it does intersect with Fedele’s first novel, The Red Door, which I had the pleasure of reviewing back in 2015. If you are a fan of strong mystery novels, with a touch of gothic noir, suspense and twists aplenty, this is a book I would recommend
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘Curiosity is a crafty thing, a devious entity.’

The Seminary, an iconic building in Hunters Hill, Sydney. Designed for the Catholic Church in 1877, vacant since 1970, and now in need of complete restoration. The novel opens in 1990 when the building is bought by Richard and Gordana Lemann, a wealthy couple with plans to transform the building into a modern family home. Next door, in what was once the caretaker’s cottage, lives Marcela Beauregarde. Gordana has grandiose plans for The Seminary, an
Cass Moriarty
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story, set in 1990, begins with a For Sale advertisement for The Seminary, built in 1877 as a Catholic church, but now a dilapidated Sydney landmark, vacant for the last 20 years, an extraordinary structure steeped in history but ‘in need of complete renovation’. The narrative of The Legacy of Beauregard (MoshPit Publishing 2018) is woven around the restoration of this building; the action unfolds as the property is gradually repaired, rebuilt and restored to its former glory. Or that’s the ...more
Maree Repa
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Five Amazing Tales

A Social Workers Tale

Such a magnificent, wonderful tale this truly is. When Marcela has heard such a gorgeous tune she is stunned in silence waiting to hear more. Meeting this lovely strong man, Bartholomew was waiting for Marcela. He had a gorgeous Irish sounding voice. He was standing outside her yard wearing his working tools and his mud ridden work shoes. This was given proof the he worked just locally on a building site.

When an irate call from a local person who called C
Jennifer S. Alderson
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Legacy of Beauregarde is a gripping crime fiction thriller set in Australia that kept me glued to my poolside lounger during a recent vacation. It’s an absorbing mystery about Marcela and her family’s connections to an old monastery that kept me guessing to the end. Some passages are quite dark and disturbing, yet they fit within the context of the story – a main character is a social worker investigating domestic abuse cases. The author’s lovely artwork also helped to visualize the setting ...more
Susan Hampson
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story begins with an enticing advertisement of an unusual building, that of the ruins of The Seminary built-in 1877 for the Catholic Church and now in desperate need of renovation from anyone with a bottomless bank balance. The property has been left to the elements for the past twenty years with the year now set as 1990 and the location Sydney, Australia.
The book is divided into 8 sections each with an abundance of characters telling of their connection to each other and the building. So ma
Printed Pages and Coffee
I absolutely was not prepared for this book.

First of all, I rarely (if ever) read contemporary novels. I certainly have never read an Australian contemporary. And I definitely have never read a gothic, supernatural, Australian contemporary.

And yet.

The Legacy of Beauregarde starts out fairly innocently, introducing the cast of main characters, with whom you will become quite familiar as you move through the novel. To be honest, the switching of perspective every chapter took some getting used to;
Rose
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This year’s favorite

I was excited at the news of this author’s second novel and even more so when I realized that my favorite character from The Red Door had travelled into this story as well.

Set in Sydney of the 90s, it follows the tale of Marcela, whose family has lived beside an iconic but abandoned gothic mansion for four generations, and the dysfunctional couple who purchase the building with plans to restore it to its former grandeur. A wonderfully contemporary touch is added to the story
Diana Ridout
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This incredibly well crafted book caught hold of me by the lapels and hauled me straight in and didn’t let me out (except under protest) until it was complete
The characters are so well portrayed, not just their appearance, but their characteristics and mannerisms, that I feel that I would recognise them if I saw them walking down the street or interacted with them on social media.
This wide and believable cast populate this darkly twisted tale, with character appearances from a previous book, T
Ann-Maree Howarth
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this book very hard to read at the start with many different characters with their own point of view being told, so just keep at it for a bit longer if the same happens to you. Saying this, the book did grab my interest and as a first-time reader of this author, I found her descriptive language was very vivid as it had my picturing for the old building as if I was stand in front of it and feeling the characters emotion from within the pages of this book myself. Many dark secrets are invo ...more
Gabrielle Ferguson
Brooding and surprising

A cracking read from this 2nd time author. Well paced, intriguing and compelling. I read, and enjoyed, Rosa's first offering, The Red Door, but somehow this one hooked me in more.
It is worth noting that this can be a stand-alone book, but reading The Red Door first will definitely lay some ground work for you.
Happy reading!
ChillwithabookAWARD With
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Legacy of Beauregarde by Rosa Fedele has received a Chill With a Book Readers' Award.
www.chillwithabook.com

Pauline Barclay - Founder of Chill with a Book Awards
Rosa Fedele
Aug 12, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
What's it about?

Treachery
A tower
There's a rooster
Irish builders
Eye candy and gorgeous things
Some bloke named Ratty
Lots of secrets
Gargoyles
Home renovation
Norman Lindsay

What more could you need?

So excited to share my new novel with you all and can't wait to hear your thoughts. Also, did you know most of the illustrations are available as prints and on merchandise on Redbubble?

Rx
Bev Spicer
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you like authors such as Daphne du Maurier...you'll love The Legend of Beauregarde

Like the previous reviewer, I also read The Red Door before being gifted an ARC copy of Rosa Fedele’s new novel, which, I must say, is well worth a read if you enjoy strong characters and an intriguing plot. The style is on the literary side – which I love. Skilled and imaginative use of language add an extra layer of delight in my opinion.
The Legacy of Beauregarde is moody and, at times, sinister. There are to
Melanie
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Its that time! Its been a minute since ive done a review and I plan to take a step back actually after this month and spend some time focusing on books that are still on my shelf. Before I do that though I just wanna brag about this great book and this amazing author!

So this book is set in Australia during 1990 and it essentially includes an old house and lots of secrets!

I absolutely love books like this and movies for that fact that involve an old house, secrets, lies and betrayals! The old hou
Susan Visser
The story was very intricate with many characters. It wasn't obvious how this cast of characters would interconnect, but eventually they do. I must say that I had trouble following the storyline at times because some of the names sounded similar and I think there were too many characters.
Amy
Angel
Jul 07, 2018

• Seven Fallen Feathers: Racism, Death, and Hard Truths in a Northern City
  • Black and Blue
  • Plan Your Prosperity: The Only Retirement Guide You'll Ever Need, Starting Now--Whether You're 22, 52 or 82
  • Once Gone (Riley Paige Mystery, #1)
“For me, every painting and every book is a new adventure, started with a thrill of excitement and anticipation.”

Artist and author Rosa Fedele, daughter of Italian migrants to Australia, was forbidden from pursuing an artistic career. Finally able to follow her vocation in adulthood, she studied at the prestigious Julian Ashton Art School, Sydney.

Unconstrained by conventional expectations, her wor