Start by marking “How to Write a Dynamite Scene Using the Snowflake Method (Advanced Fiction Writing Book 2)” as Want to Read:

Want to Write a Dynamite Novel?
The secret to writing a dynamite novel is to first write a dynamite scene.
Because if you can write one terrific scene, you can write a hundred. And that’s a novel.
This is a short book, with just one goal—to teach you the simple principles you can use right now to design a powerful scene before you write it.
If you’ve already written your novel, you can use these same principle
Published May 18th 2018 by Ingermanson Communications, Inc. (first published May 11th 2018)

Be the first to ask a question about How to Write a Dynamite Scene Using the Snowflake Method

Lester Glavey
May 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Me da mucha pena darle solamente dos estrellas. Randy Ingermanson es un excelente maestro y el contenido de este libro es muy bueno. Lo malo es el título con el que lo anuncia. Promete usar el método del copo de nieve para crear escenas y no es cierto. Enseña lo que casi todos los libros de escritura enseñan, qué son, para qué sirven y cómo hacer las escenas proactivas y reactivas. Eso lo aprendí hace mucho tiempo. Si el título anunciara las escenas proactivas y reactivas simplemente no lo habrí ...more
Cage Dunn
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft-skills
I always enjoy the style Randy uses to impress the information into manageable chunks. If I could get every writer to at read at least one of his books, I'm sure they'd see how it frees them to be exceptionally creative without having to worry about 'how it all fits together' - because it's clearly explained. And the boundaries it gives enables limitless access to creativity within those bounds.
I love it.
Emily Lo
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, writing
Excellent short book on the structure of a scene. Get a hard copy of this book and you will not be disappointed.
Steven
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've benefited from Ingermanson's How To Write A Novel Using The Snowflake Method for years, so when I saw this new title on writing scenes, I grabbed it. It's good information, presented in a readable and useful manner. Ingermanson illuminates his instruction using examples from 3 well-known novels, making his points crystal-clear. Overall, it's a good resource for those who need help with the challenge of writing compelling scenes.
The title is a bit misleading, as the book doesn't seem t
Hunter Patrick
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After four half finished projects, it's official - discovery writing is not for me. I've been sifting through various outlining methods over the past few months, and Randy's snowflake method is by far the best I've come across (for me that is).

Not only does Randy's snowflake method feel like it was designed with my ADHD brain in mind, the way he breaks down the creative process really drove home scene structure for me. There's nothing particularly new in here I didn't already 'know',
John Lawchamp (YouTube)
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We all understand that Chapters run the novel, but those are of little importance. The important part of your novel will be those small scenes that make up your chapters. Scenes are a must and chapters are more of a writer's preference of pacing and style.
This book is extremely detailed on the subject of forming and building scenes that capture your reader's attention. If anything, I would say this is the best book to grab to study the structure of scene building. Some of the rules do seem to b
Henry
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Praise for the clear, engaging writing style. Have read other books on the topic of scene-writing, and they feel floppy and loose. Ingermanson's approach provides a platform, not a prescription. Only missing the fifth star because of the fundamental premise: that Story is about delivering emotional impact to the reader. Not a universal, as many great novels operate under a different fundamental attitude towards storytelling (e.g. The Great Gatsby). Also, non-standard terminology to describe the ...more
Matthew T
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Answers a ton of questions

I find i'm really appreciative of Randy's books. I read the Snowflake book in one day and bought this one immediately after. What he does that's different is he anticipates your questions. He already knows what you'll experience as a writer, and he provides concrete empathy and solutions to guide you along. I have an idea for a second novel in my mind. After reading his books, he's made things so much clearer. I will follow the snowflake method for my next novel. Thank
Marie Pinkham
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Randy Ingermanson breaks the scene-writing process down in a clear and concise manner and has some fun doing it. He continues the theme from his "How to Write a Novel Using the Snowflake Method", honing in on individual scenes. He then shows how each "mini story" contributes to the big picture. Using some well-known examples, he points out how the process plays out to create stories that satisfy readers, and keep them turning pages. I loved the first book and I think I liked this one even more. ...more
Randy Tramp
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a writer and author, I live by the Snowflake Method. It's a great program that helps me organize my book. I absolutely love it. How to Write a Dynamite Scene went into the nuts and bolts of writing a book. Each scene must be a mini story. I read this book slowly in order to get as much from it as possible. There was so much to glean and a lot to learn. I know I'll be returning to this book many times.
Shannon
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-plotting
I really like this how-to book. It provides you with a lot of valuable knowledge on what makes a good scene, and explains what makes a bad scene and gives you the tools and information to help fix scenes or ideas on when you need to just give up on a scene and move onto the next. He also gives solid examples of novels showing his information working for them. This is a great book if you're stuck on how to actually develop a scene.
Yo
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-craft
This was an intensely satisfying read. The principles presented are so clean and useful and...just perfect. But at the same time they are rooted in deep truths about people and how they relate to stories. The elegance of the system makes me want to do a little happy dance in my bedroom.
Highly recommended to story nerds and basically anyone who enjoys figuring things out.
Peggy Miller
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Scene writing.

This book has really taught me how to look at a scene and break it down to what kind of scene it is, how to fix a broken scene and how to greatly improve it. This is a must read for writers.
Miguel Diaz
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I feel like I am ready to write my first short story.

This book has made me read fiction differently. I feel as if I am able to visualize the steps the author may have gone through when writing each chapter. Great work!
Erik Richvoldsen
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked how the book broke down novel writing into a series of scenes. Made the task seem less daunting.

Nothing new if you have read a few books on writing, but summing up scenes with goals and crucibles seems like a good idea.
Rachel Capps
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An easy to understand book that shows you how to improve your scenes. A must read for authors. Fantastic advice.
Jean-Maxime
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Extremely useful

Clear simple and straight to the point. Excellent examples make you understand easily every points. I recommend this book to every (future) authors.
Hei Man Hung
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars!

Loved this book. Very clear and informative, and tells you how to structure your scenes. Well worth reading .. ..
Chris Wells
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty good!
Jessica
This guy is a fantastic teacher. Loved the examples he gave along the way.
Steven Vincent
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book, I went back and read it twice more. So much easy to understand information that was easy to apply to my writing.
Marian
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have this program among many, and I get a little something from each one. This book is clear in its instructions and ideas.
Watson Davis
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
There was some good things in here, but it didn't speak to me as much as the original Snowflake Method book which now forms the foundation of how I write novels.
Rajesh
Jan 31, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Writing into the Dark: How to Write a Novel without an Outline
  • VOICE: The Secret Power of Great Writing
  • Launch to Market: Easy Marketing For Authors (Write Faster, Write Smarter, #4)
  • Million Dollar Outlines
  • How to Write Funny: Your Serious, Step-By-Step Blueprint For Creating Incredibly, Irresistibly, Successfully Hilarious Writing
  • The Successful Author Mindset: A Handbook for Surviving the Writer's Journey
  • MASTER LISTS FOR WRITERS: Thesauruses, Plots, Character Traits, Names, and More
  • Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration: Learn to Nurture a Lifestyle of Creativity (Helping Writers Become Authors Book 5)
  • Write Better, Faster: How To Triple Your Writing Speed and Write More Every Day
  • The Marshall Plan For Novel Novel Writing
  • Strangers To Superfans: A Marketing Guide to the Reader Journey
  • Mugging the Muse
  • Crank It Out!: The Surefire Way to Become a Super-Productive Writer (The Writer's Toolbox #7)
  • Mastering Suspense, Structure, and Plot: How to Write Gripping Stories That Keep Readers on the Edge of Their Seats
  • Newsletter Ninja: How to Become an Author Mailing List Expert
  • Blueprint Your Bestseller: Organize and Revise Any Manuscript with the Book Architecture Method
  • Write Naked: A Bestseller's Secrets to Writing Romance & Navigating the Path to Success
  • Reader Magnets: Build Your Author Platform and Sell more Books on Kindle (Book Marketing for Authors 1)
I'm a novelist, physicist, and fiction teacher. People around the world call me "the Snowflake Guy" because of my wildly popular "Snowflake method" for writing a novel.

I've published 6 novels and won about a dozen awards for my writing. I'm a theoretical physicist with a Ph.D. from UC Berkeley. I publish the world's largest electronic newsletter on how to write fiction. I run the software divisio