Start by marking “Winning Job Interviews: Reduce Interview Anxiety/Outprepare the Other Candidates/Land the Job You Love” as Want to Read:

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  27 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
In this easy-to-follow, step-by-step book, author, psychologist, and career expert Dr. Paul Powers shows job hunters how to find and land a job they love. Winning Job Interviews demystifies job interviewing, explains why the process actually favors the job hunter, and shows how you can dramatically improve your interviewing success.

Winning Job Interviews is packed with ins
Published December 1st 2004 by Career Press

To ask other readers questions about Winning Job Interviews, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winning Job Interviews

Lynn
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally finished it. Always a good feeling to get through something you never thought you would. I always appreciate books written by psychologists, as they look at things from different angles (at least there's a great attempt to), leaving nothing to chance. When Dr Powers says he wants to help you win it, it's definitely not a false promise!

I really like the wittiness as well as the insights presented. I haven't looked at the toolkits, but I'm sure i'll get it done. What I took home? Look at a
Karen Rowe
A friend gave me this book to read because I've been in a job for eight years that I've been happy with for six of the years and not so much that last two. I was browsing the newspaper...I know kinda old fashioned...for a spark of inspiration to move on when I spoke with her about my discontentment and she recommended this book.

Dr. Paul Powers gave me the confidence that I needed to get out there dispite what I viewed as many flaws in my past career experience. The biggest one was losing 13 yea
Claire
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting because it approaches interviews from the prespective of a salesman. There were many things that I kind of skipped over, but I liked the advice it gave on "looking for objections" and "closing the interview". Interviews for teaching are unlike any others, so when I looked over the list of interview questions at the end, I knew I would never ever hear any of those questions in teaching interviews. However, it did make me more aware of thinking of all possible questions b ...more
ReadHowYouWant
Nov 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced, with no fluff, this book shows you how to have a great answer for the most difficult interview questions, social networking mistakes that will hurt your job hunt and career, and more. Jeff Taylor, the founder of Monster.com, praised that Winning Job Interviews “prepares success-minded people for that crucial encounter with great advice, helpful tips and…a winning attitude.”
Linn Browning
Thoroughly unimpressed. This book covered some interesting things but didn't really answer many of the question I had about what to expect in interviews. Most of the advice was common sense material.
Stephen Chung
Jul 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A decent motivational book.
Mike Walters
May 09, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is a good place to start. I liked the section on references. The author makes some good recommendations. Otherwise, much of the rest of the book is pretty commonsensical.
Pamela
Nov 14, 2016
Suze
Jul 17, 2009
Ruth
rated it did not like it
Aug 29, 2011
Mukesh
Apr 10, 2017
JeremyHK
Jan 31, 2011
Dr. Paul Powers is a management psychologist, executive coach, and career expert, and a former US Marine. He formerly served as chairman of the Massachusetts Board of Psychologists, and received his degrees from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. Dr. Powers also helped to found the Management Corps for the Emerging East, a nonprofit initiative to send American business volunteers to work ...more
More about Paul Powers...
Roadblock #5: It's Unpredictable
By and large, human beings don't like surprises. I know that I don't. Okay, maybe I like that rare piece of unexpected good news or a letter from a friend or a thoughtful thank-you. But I'm willing to bet that people in funny hats jumping out of dark closets are responsible for more heart attacks than expressions of unbridled delight. When the doorbell rings late at night, I'm under no illusion that it's the Publisher's Clearing House Prize Patrol!
This, most likely, goes back to our caveman past when a big, exciting surprise was apt to be something like an 800-pound,snarling, saber-toothed tiger about to rip the head from our shoulders. Surprises were usually bad news. (Think about this the next time you're crouching in the dark in somebody's front hall closet with their raincoats and umbrellas.)”
0 likes