Start by marking “It Was Always You” as Want to Read:
It Was Always You

It Was Always You

Tyler Schaeffer’s whole world has been yanked out from under him. Job? Gone. Marriage? Kaput. With nothing to keep him in Chicago, he’s headed home to Seattle to lick his wounds and start over. To his surprise, his high school best friend—the man he ghosted five years ago—swoops in to help him pick up the pieces.

Justin Tucker still stings over Tyler vanishing, but when his
Published March 22nd 2018 by Self-Published

To ask other readers questions about It Was Always You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Was Always You

Start your review of It Was Always You
Vanna
3 stars!
Let me start out by saying that I have liked L.A Witt's books and was really interested because of the premise..
Friends to Lovers Check
Straight to Bi/Gay Check
Hunky mature MCs in their 30s Check
Slow-burn Check
Unrequited love Check
But somewhere around the middle, the story started dragging on. Things were happening and yet there was nothing happening between Justin and Tyler. Even when the first kiss actually happened (view spoiler); and there
I Dream of Dragons and Unicorns
Yeah, really not pleased that these two only got together at about 80%+ and then the ending was so damn rushed!! What on earth is going on with this author lately?!!? It's like she's pushing out these books just to push them out, but there's no REAL substance, character development, OR a proper glorious swoon-worthy HEA!!
The ending WAS sweet, don't get me wrong, but I felt like it was a bone being thrown at us than anything else, just for putting up with the previous 80%!! If these men got
BR11
Warning: a super obtuse MC and another MC that not only has he sex with another guy in the book (granted, the MCs were not yet a couple) but the other guy is in the house and hears him getting off... uff just no.
This was probably the most anticlimactic friends-to-lovers story I’ve read in a long time. Tyler only has his moment of clarity at about the 95% mark... and then it just was mehh.
Didn’t care for this book at all.
Ami

It was a so-and-so friends-to-lovers story; with a touch of "one is straight bi but only for his friend and the other is not".

While I appreciated that they took time before consummating their love with one another, I have genuinely resented MM romance that picture women as bitchy villains. Be they were ex-wife, ex-girlfriend, et cetera. So it ruined my overall mood reading this one *shrugs*
⚣Michaelle⚣
3.5 Stars

Not my favorite LAW book. I usually love the GFY/OFY (especially combined with FtL) trope; unfortunately the whole thing felt flat...and took forever to develop. But Michael Ferraiuolo carries this story with his narration - and earns it half a star (which rounds it up). I don't know if I'd have finished it otherwise.
Coco.V
Aug 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (8/20/2019)! ...more
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
Real talk... had I not been listening to this at the gym, I would have quit at the voyeuristic jerk off session. By the time the couple got together, I really didn't care. Michael Ferraiuolo does a fantastic job with the narration, but he didn't have a lot to work with.
Anke
Apr 17, 2018 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Ok, can't take it anymore. Yes, I know it might be just the beginning of the story, as I'm at 20%. I took a break and today got back to it and still, I don't like it. The description of the ex-wife is rather bad and exaggerated - yes, she's bad, I got it, so move on already. Only I'm not interested in any moving on anymore. So, off to the DNF shelf.
Elizabeth
Not as good as other stories by this author. I dragged and at some point I was like ok yeah they are totally getting together but at that point I didn't even care anymore. Just Ok for me.
Jinx
(view spoiler)
CrabbyPatty
This would have worked well as a short novella, but as it is, it's a one-note plot that is far too lean to sustain a longer book. Justin has always loved Tyler, will do anything for him, except tell him how he feels. Tyler married a domineering woman, divorces after 14 years, and ends up living with Justin in Seattle as he gets back on his feet. Everyone around them (including Tyler's ex-wife) knows they love one another and belong together. But Tyler spends the entire book wondering if he just ...more
Earlyn
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Justine and Tyler

A second chance of love with your best friend.
They have been friends forever Justine has always loved Tyler and Tyler the same but in different ways.
Everyone thought they were the perfect couple. They thought Tyler was gay and Tyler thought he was straight.
After losing his job and filing for a divorce, Tyler makes his way back to Justine.
I don't think it was a gay for you love story. It was a matter of finding your truth.
Lovely story
Pianisuparse
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 'Awesome quick and easy, best friends to lovers, joy to read' stars.
bookfaerie
May 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Bland. Lackluster. Repetitive. MC's without any chemistry. VERY slow and almost zero sex. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
SℓιM
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was always you; it is definitely true for these two best friends.

**** splashing a couple of spoilers throughout this review*****

Twenty-five years Justin waited for Tyler... whereas Tyler just realize who he was at age thirty-eight... he finally figured out what his sexuality is... he could be bisexual, but he’s gayer “since” he in love with Justin, which he finally realize at his class reunion after talking to a classmate and checking out another
ButtonsMom2003
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Audiobook review:
Overall 5
Performance 5
Story 5

OMG this audio is fantastic!

I am in love with Michael Ferraiuolo's audiobook performances. I have yet to listen to one that wasn't a 5 for me for his performance and he will often times elevate a so-so book from a 3 or 4 to a 5 overall. I think that he and L.A. Witt make the perfect couple. (Don't tell her husband, Eddie. ) OK, maybe change that to the perfect pair?

It Was Always You is a sort of a second chance story and it is definitely an "out for
Anita
Ultra sexy, ultra sweet friends to lovers from one of my favorite authors. Justin and Tyler have been best friends since high school. They haven't been in contact for the last five years but when Tyler's life implodes - divorce, loss of a job, he moves from Chicago where he went to school and stayed, back home to Seattle. He moves in with Justin until he can get his life in order. There has always been a little something between Justin and Tyler but Tyler is straight and Justin is gay. This is ...more
namericanwordcat
While I enjoyed this book, it needed a lot more nuance to really make it great.

We have friends in which one friend has been in love with the other forever. The other has never let himself think about a sexuality other than straight. And then the oh I hear a man having sex with another man and thats hot discovery.

Pretty bland.

Justin is wonderful and I like Tyler despite his cluelessness. I like the slow build and the fact the heroes have regular jobs and that Tyler seeks therapy after his
Tiffany Copple
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars for It Was Always You by L.A. Witt. This is a m/m friends to lovers romance. Tyler and Justin used to be best friends but they haven’t seen each other in 5 years because of Tyler’s controlling wife. Now Tyler is getting a divorce and moving back to Seattle . Justin lets Tyler move in with him but Justin has always been in love with Tyler. Soon Justin and Tyler start getting closer. Tyler is questioning himself and his feelings. I loved everything about this book and the story between ...more
Somelina Obiechina
Mary
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is sweet, romantic and amusing. Justin is an easy going, charming and caring guy who has pretended to not be in love with his best friend since they were kids. He accepted that Tyler wasn't gay and decided having him in his life as a friend was better than nothing. Tyler is confused and vulnerable after losing his wife and job, it just seems natural to him to go to Justin, oblivious to his feelings towards him. The storyline is interesting and heartwarming.
Aethena Drake
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: bsv
I really want to like L.A. Witt's writing more, but I always feel like she is just going through the motions.

I snagged this book on KU, enjoyed the first few chapters, and then skimmed through the rest.

I guess the conflict just doesn't feel real. Maybe the emotion just doesn't seem real. The mechanics of the story are decent but...
Nicki
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Listened to audio 5* narration. I prefer L.A. Witt more plot heavy books but the story was a little bland in comparison to my favourites by this author. I rec this for those who like a simple sweet contemporary romance.
Mysterious
2.5, rounded up. Probably as vanilla as m/m gets.

I don't like alternating first POV in general but I find it especially hard when both characters are the same gender and "sound" pretty similar. I lost track who was narrating a bunch of times. (Justin's use of endearments was the most reliable signpost.)
Monika

** - First time
** - Loved the MCs
** - Irritating at times
** - Didn't knock my socks off

This was just an okay read for me. I far from hated it but there were things I wish were handled differently. If you really like a slow, slow burn this may be for you, if not I'd give this a pass.
Lidia
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice story,Justin was very great character , Tyler though is been a bit slow to understand himself ,oblivious at every signs so busy to affirm his heterosexuality and his sick relationship with his wife.Finally Tyler wake up , and the HAE is assicurated.
Mark
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not my speed

I like L A Witt usually, but for me this was sap to the max. I struGgled with the internal monologues of self doubt and second guessing... If you want a read that explores every thought or feeling then this book is for you.
Mary Carmen
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Only thing to make it better would be more sex scenes

Needs more juicyiness but it has a very romantic storyline...and great character build up. You won't be disappointed, well except maybe not seeing Tyler and Justin really get into the heat of things until the end
Jaime
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Good book, and good storyline, wanted to give it more stars, it just fell short for me towards the end, story just fell apart, i just expected more.. the characters seemed to lack chemistry at the end.
Diane
Love At Last

Tyler and Justin were best friends for years. And then for five years they were nothing. Now Tyler is divorcing the wife who always distrusted his feelings for Justin. Maybe she was right...

• McFarland's Farm (Hope, #1)
  • First Season (Harrisburg Railers, #2)
  • Love Always
  • Every Other Weekend
  • Single (Single Dads #1)
  • If Only in My Dreams
  • The Straight Boyfriend (Loving You, #3)
  • A Soldier's Wish
  • Shrewd Angel
  • Jesse's Diner (Hope, #2)
  • Endless Stretch of Blue
  • Summerfield's Angel (The Christmas Angel, #2)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • Today (Single Dads #2)
  • Heat for Sale (Heat for Sale, #1)
  • Want Me (Extracurricular Activities, #1-7)
  • Return of the Chauffeur's Son (Movie Magic Romances, #1)
  • Test of Valor (Valor, #2)
L.A. Witt and her husband have been exiled from Spain and sent to live in Maine because rhymes are fun. She now divides her time between writing, assuring people she is aware that Maine is cold, wondering where to put her next tattoo, and trying to reason with a surly Maine coon. Rumor has it her arch nemesis, Lauren Gallagher, is also somewhere in the wilds of New England, which is why L.A. is ...more