Start by marking “Indiana, Indiana” as Want to Read:
Indiana, Indiana

Indiana, Indiana

"In the center of the county in the center of Indiana in the heart of the country, and down a long, dark hallway," Noah Summers, a simple man who has led a far from simple life, sits before a roaring fire, drifting in and out of sleep. On this dark and lovely winter night, he will sift through the shards of his memories, trying to make sense of a lifetime of psychic ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Coffee House Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Indiana, Indiana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indiana, Indiana

Start your review of Indiana, Indiana
Brent Legault
May 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I am normally an ardent booster of Laird Hunt's work, but this one mostly irked me. I suppose it was due to its style, which has been aped by so many others. And also its dreamy, half-witted tone that reeked of MFA. There's good to be got from it -- I've never read a Laird that didn't have something brilliant about it. Perhaps it's just my own inner curmedgeon that won't let me fully enjoy what is probably a contemporary masterpiece.
Kira Henehan
Feb 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
I loved The Impossibly and The Exquisite by Laird Hunt, but was sort of disappointed with this one. I may have read it too distractedly; I'll probably try it again at some point because Mr. Hunt is usually worth it.
Eugene
Dec 31, 2007 rated it liked it
more straightforward than i expected. a familiar but not unaccomplished lyrical style and a comfortably-puzzling and fully-resolved plot... his afterward namechecks wg sebald, yourcenar, and ponge--but there's little of those folks' openness or difficulty or poetry. but there are some deliciously voiced sweet-sad characters. virgil and the saw musician two favorites.

reminded often of the lovers of The Time Traveler's Wife, just in that the couple here has a similar melancholy (but not,
Ellen
Aug 06, 2009 rated it liked it
I would probably have never come across this book but Buntport Theater has adapted it for their next production so I was curious. I have been trying to write a good review but, forgive me, I'm going to give up and blatantly steal from the book jacket: ""In the center of the county in the center of Indiana in the heart of the country, and down a long, dark hallway," Noah Summers, a simple man who has lead a far from simple life, sits before a flickering fire, drifting in and out of sleep. On this ...more
Sandra
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars. Faulkneresque. But less abstruse and more readable. A very simple, haunting and haunted story. A beautiful story of love and loss, the unfairness of life, the everyday simple joys in the everyday simple things, the tragedy. I loved this book, born and raised in Indiana... Knew people who ended up in Logansport.
Tammy
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
My Indiana is not farm Indiana, except to the extent that all Indiana is farm Indiana, but this peaceful, yet painful, portrait of farm Indiana resonated with me. I know these people. These people are my people, beautiful and sorrowful and broken. A lovely work.
Paul
Sep 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
I love Lairdo. For more reasons than just this novel, which is great. It had the curious effect of causing me to involuntarily remember dreams that I had many, many years ago.

I felt like the time mimicked very closely the time
Samuel Moss
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
very nice little novel
Sara
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Naropa dude. 'Nuff said.
Poupeh
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The beauty and pain of this book goes so deep inside, touching one with such soft intensity that not many books do.
Marisela
May 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Emily, Todd
Shelves: fiction
Poetic. The narrative structure is only revealed after reading several chapters since the story not presented in a linear timeline. I loved it. The lyricism of the writing really shone through.
Amanda Armstrong
Aug 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book which I'd highly recommend to readers who enjoy writers' tricks, word play, plot twists heightened by structure, etc.
Aaron
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Your Turn, Mr. Moto
  • What's in a Name
  • Flash Cards: Selected Poems from Yu Jian's Anthology of Notes
  • Poison, Shadow, and Farewell (Your Face Tomorrow, #3)
  • Nothing More to Lose
  • Poems and Fragments
  • Star
  • En ny tid
  • W.S. Graham
  • Har døden taget noget fra dig så giv det tilbage
  • The Fish Can Sing
Laird Hunt is an American writer, translator and academic.

Hunt grew up in Singapore, San Francisco, The Hague, and London before moving to his grandmother's farm in rural Indiana, where he attended Clinton Central High School. He earned a B.A. from Indiana University and a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing from the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics at Naropa University. He also