Start by marking “Disidentifications: Queers of Color and the Performance of Politics” as Want to Read:
Disidentifications: Queers of Color and the Performance of Politics

Disidentifications: Queers of Color and the Performance of Politics

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  587 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
There is more to identity than identifying with one’s culture or standing solidly against it. José Esteban Muñoz looks at how those outside the racial and sexual mainstream negotiate majority culture—not by aligning themselves with or against exclusionary works but rather by transforming these works for their own cultural purposes. Muñoz calls this process “disidentificati ...more
Published May 1st 1999 by Univ Of Minnesota Press

To ask other readers questions about Disidentifications, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disidentifications

Zeo
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbtqetc
A few weeks into their relationship, Sean proposed marriage to Pedro and Pedro accepted. In response, the show's other "star" presence, Puck, decided to one-up the queer couple by proposing marriage to his new girlfriend Toni. Puck stands as proof that not all counterpublics challenge the way in which the social is organized by the dominant culture. Puck's counterpublic is a juvenile version of rugged individualism; it represents a sort of soft anarchism that relativizes all political struggles
Gisela Zuniga
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: latinx-studies
I'm mad I didn't read this earlier!!!
Ayanna Dozier
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Disidentification is a "world-making" process for minoritarian subjects, Muñoz states in the closing chapter of his book (p. 197). This world-making process utilizes performance as a method in which individuals can create an environment where identities that do not conform can exercise freedom of being, which is to say that this process performs subtle subversions as a creative way to engage with a state of being. The mere concept of disindetification alludes to the "construction site" that is i ...more
ian
Aug 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
This one grew on me. Munyoz isn't the most lucid writer ever, and I've noticed that a lot of people spend a lot of time searching the theoretical introduction to this book looking for a clear definition of disidentification that is never forthcoming. Over time I've come to see that as a strength. Though Munyoz does have a clear idea in mind for the work he wants disidentification to do, he develops it through investigating the way disidentification works in the cultural productions of a handful ...more
Kate O'connor
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
An incredibly important book for any scholar of queer studies or those interested in queer of color critique. Where the book is weakest, however, is its repetitive cycles. Further, the book gives nearly a dozen definitions of disidentification and makes the very term seem almost meaningless. despite these critiques, it is a marvelous work which can be valuable to almost any scholar.
Karli
Sep 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This work inspires and re-inspires every time I pick it up. Muñoz formulates a concept of disidentification as a political/survival strategy for queers of color, and he supports his theory by examining the performances of queers of color as theory-makers in their own right. Muñoz effectively situates the political salience for queer performance and performance art.
nicole
Oct 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
oh my god. this is one of my favorite books. seriously.

munoz discusses the common phenomenon of disidentification as a strategic performance for queers of color in order to exist within/without a dominant discourse (white, heterosexual, etc.).
Peter
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
He can be slow in getting to the point in some of these essays, but when he does it is usually profound. The chapter on Pedro Zamora from the Real World is particularly masterful. Munoz carries the project of critical theory into the 21st century in dazzling form.
Ashleigh
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it

I won't recommend this for everyone because it's pretty dense. I'm not even convinced that I entirely got it. However, it showed me a lot about racism, white supremacy and gender identities in the pop art world, and about how creating a counter to counter-cultures helps fight those issues.
Holly Bee
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you would like to know more about queer performance artists of color, this is a great introduction and reference.
Christopher
Mar 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
very important.
Scott Neigh
Reviewed here.
Amy P.
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jose Esteban Munoz makes my heart do a queer performance...I wonder what he would say about that?
Mk
Feb 19, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: queer
This book epitomizes my problems with academia. Despite it being the title, he does not manage to define "Disidentification" until over 75 pages into the book.
Erin
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Muñoz is bae
Cecelia
I had to read it for a class but it was better than other things that were assigned.
P
Oct 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
jose munoz is brilliant and amazing. i've probably cited this text more than any other and it's one of the few titles that i strong-arm queers of color to read. they're better off for it.
Reem
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Such an important, compassionate, well written book.
Timothy
Nov 05, 2017
H Dar
Sep 02, 2014
Kate Mess
rated it did not like it
Nov 05, 2016
Mar 11, 2012
Daniel
Sep 10, 2015
  • Aberrations in Black: Toward a Queer of Color Critique
  • Queering the Color Line: Race and the Invention of Homosexuality in American Culture
  • Terrorist Assemblages: Homonationalism in Queer Times
  • Global Divas: Filipino Gay Men in the Diaspora
  • Impossible Desires: Queer Diasporas and South Asian Public Cultures
  • The Trouble with Normal: Sex, Politics, and the Ethics of Queer Life
  • The Queen of America Goes to Washington City: Essays on Sex and Citizenship
  • The Twilight of Equality: Neoliberalism, Cultural Politics, and the Attack on Democracy
  • Tendencies
  • The Archive and the Repertoire: Performing Cultural Memory in the Americas
  • No Future: Queer Theory and the Death Drive
  • Exile and Pride: Disability, Queerness, and Liberation
  • Bodies That Matter: On the Discursive Limits of "Sex"
  • An Archive of Feelings: Trauma, Sexuality, and Lesbian Public Cultures
José Esteban Muñoz is a writer and scholar living in New York City. He teaches in the department of Performance Studies at the Tisch School of the Arts, New York University where he currently serves as Department Chair.
More about José Esteban Muñoz