Start by marking “Sam Tells Stories” as Want to Read:
Sam Tells Stories

Sam Tells Stories

3.22  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
This adorable character from SAM IS NEVER SCARED is back in another story preschoolers will identify with. Sam is so eager to make friends at his new school that he tells them a story that isn’t true. After all, he makes up bedtime stories for his little brother, who thinks Sam is the best storyteller ever! But when the truth catches up with him, Sam realizes the differenc ...more
Published July 16th 2007 by Clarion Books

Chance Lee
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-it
Sam is an adorable wolf pup (I think) who is also a damn liar. He lies to kids at school that is dad is an astronaut. He lies to his mom about how his clothes got dirty. And he lies to his brother when he tells him bedtime stories. By the end of the book, same learns the difference between "lies" and "stories." His school friends forgive him very quickly, and he never apologizes to his mom for lying and admits the truth.
Caitlin Olson
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: el230
I enjoyed this book. I think it is geared towards kindergarteners. It can be used to talk about how important it is to tell the truth. It can also be used to talk about the sequence of stories. You could ask the students to tell you about the characters and what happens to them.
Gerardo Mendoza-Tovar
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This story is about a character named Sam. Sam is going to a new school and making new friends. He tells stories that aren't true to his friends because he wants to impress them. He also makes up lies when his telling bedtime stories to his younger brother and he also lies to his mother. At the end of the book, Sam realizes that he should stop lying and telling the truth.
With the illustrations and creative plot, this book is great for young students to read! The grade range for this book would
Rochelle Sondae
My three year old cousin is just beginning to put together little stories for his pictures and block building endeavors. It's pretty cool getting a glimpse into the workings of his developing thoughts of the world. Again he was interested in the names of all the items in the illustrations and wondered how I knew the dinosaur toy on the floor was the inspiration for the dragon on the playground. We had to count all the eyes on the aliens and give actual names to Sam's little brother, father and s ...more
Veronica
Jun 09, 2013 added it
Shelves: manners
I'm working on creating a booklist for my local public library. This book was one in consideration for this list.

I am going to add this book to my list. It doesn't have to do with manners necessarily, but between choosing the right thing and the wrong thing, it definitely gives a positive example. I think it was spot on in what it was going for, that it was focused securely on the idea of doing what was right, of being honest.
Joanne Roberts
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Though this book has a moral, it is couched in a kid-friendly story with a realistic mc. His stories are actually lies. Sam doesn't escape the consequences at home or school, but he learns something wonderful about himself and his friends. Cute art with a lovely European vibe.
Mandy
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sam is the new kid at school and wants everyone to like him, so he makes up stores about his dad. The stories don't stop there, and pretty soon Sam is telling stories to his family too. Sam wishes he had just been himself but worries if he is truthful if anyone will still like him.
Robin
Jan 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Excellent tale about the perils of lying!
Kate Hastings
Feb 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preschool values lying
Simple story that will be a good starting point for discussions about lying and exagerating or telling stories.
The Library Lady
Sep 27, 2007 rated it it was ok
There's a little bit too much message here about not telling lies. But there's also a nice ending--Sam learns the things he make up make good stories.
Gretchen
Jul 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Helps explain how telling stories can become lying if you don't let people know.
Nesa
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is a cute book that tries to introduce the consequences of lying. For the most part it works, but my biggest issue with it, is that the biggest "story" Sam that tells, is never resolved.
Maria Lauzon