Start by marking “Heart of Time (Ruined Hearts, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Time (Ruined Hearts, #1)

Heart of Time

(Ruined Hearts #1)

What would you do if you could control time?

In a world where magic is outlawed, Eona has been hiding her true nature all her life, only using it to make her circus performances even more spectacular. She's always known that her ability to manipulate time could make her a target, but she couldn't have prepared for being kidnapped, manipulated and imprisoned.

After weeks in p
Published September 30th 2017 by Peryton Press (first published September 25th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of Time

Frank Van Meer
Mar 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
This book is apparently a Reverse Harem book, and since I'm blissfully ignorant of most things pop-culture, I had to look it up:

reverse harem (plural reverse harems) A group of someone's boyfriends and/or husbands in a polygamous household. A genre of anime and manga in which a woman is the love interest of three or more men.

Well, I looked long and hard, but I fail to see how this is a reverse harem book. Except maybe two guys, no one has any romantic interest in her, and even then, one of them
SJ
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reverse-harem
I received a free advanced reader copy of this book and voluntarily decided to review it

I am going to be honest and say I found it hard to get into they first chapter, I have no idea why but I admit I can be a bit funny with anything that is fantasy related, that said, once I got over myself and started chapter two I could not read it fast enough, I was totally drawn into this magical fantasy world that the writer created. I was hooked and thirsting to know what happens next. So entranced by th
Kathleen Bruce
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow just wow! It was actually really interesting how it starts of with a tale that's actually deals with Eona's mother and her heart. Part of me wonders if thats the reason for Eona's ability to manipulate time. Plus each chapter start of with what seems to be an snippit of a history book from their world (yes i said their world it is a fantasy novel which i wS happily surprised about) and each chapter has a beautiful illustration which relates to each chapter.

Eona travels with the Ghorres fami
Christina
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great fantasy book! I was sucked right into the world and was able to casually read it and become immersed in the world. I didn't see it as slow at first at all. I felt like Skye did a great job at really setting up and describing the world and characters. It's not one I would pick up for a quick read...it's one I'd pick up to sit down on a comfy sofa with my coffee and a blanket and thoroughly savor and enjoy.
Anna
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in a new series and has a whole lot of world building in it. It really starts to pick up towards the end. I think it's going to be a good series and am excited to read the next book.
Heather Henkel
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

This was a very well done fantasy story. I like the world building and the characters. I enjoyed rooting for Eona!
Kayla
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This booked tangled me in it web from the beginning. It's a great fantasy read! I can't wait for book 2

The book does give you a lot of information in the beginning so make sure you really pay attention to it all. Otherwise it's written excellently. Skye has created a fantastic world for me to get lost in.
Tammy
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rh, kindle-unlimited
burn level = slow, story level = high
I did enjoy the story here, it was unique. I would say more, but I don't want to give any spoilers.

It wasn't a predictable storyline, but I also didn't feel the need to guess what was about to happen. The burn was slow, so it allowed for more character development.

I'm looking forward to book 2, really hoping it doesn't take so long that I forget what was established here.
Courtney Borgstedt
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It captivated me from the beginning and I found the main character to be genuine and Endearing. I can't wait to see where the author takes us next!
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really great

The book started off a little slow but once you really got into the meat of it I couldn't put it down. Really great read all around
Courtney Borgstedt
Good start to a new series

Raven Anne
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reverse-harem
This needs WAY more than 39 ratings!
C.E. Clayton
I’ll just come right off the bat and say this book is NOT a reverse harem story, so if that’s what you pick it up for based on the synopsis, you will be disappointed. The first book in the “Ruined Hearts” series is all about the set up. It’s about introducing the reader to Eona, who can manipulate time. It’s about her adopted family and how she is kidnapped and taken to a place where magic is both feared and coveted. It’s about how she learns to use her abilities and about her abusive past that ...more
Soobee
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was instantly drawn to the story from the prologue. I loved the backstory into how Eona was born and her life before the circus. I was absolutely devastated for her mother and what she had done. I actually became teary.

Skye has created a story that is not like one that I have ever read before. I love the originality of it and from the beginning I was intrigued.

I had heard of a peryton before but had no idea what to expect, not knowing anything about the mythical creature, I was intrigued, a
Taylor
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I received this book as an ARC.

Prior to having been given this book i had read the prologue and the first chapter. That first chapter was enough to get me hooked and excited to read the rest of the book. I went into starting this read with not a whole lot of expectations on where the plot was going to go, i just wanted to let myself read it without trying to guess what was going to happen.

Heart of Time explores the origins of Eona, an orphan who has been living with performing wanderers for mo
Christina
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I will not lie. This book took a long while for me to really get into it. The world building took some time and the way Eona was being manipulated bugged the hell out of me. Granted I know she was in a new place, terrified and had barely scratched the surface of her own magical abilities and there were other factors involved that we found out later but I couldn’t help but want to throw something at her.

Eona has had it really rough in life. It's made her smart and resilient but ultimately she ha
Erin
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was given an ARC copy for an honest review.

There is so much going on in this introduction that it can get a little overwhelming. The story starts with a heart rending (punny, you'll get it when you read it) background into Eona's family. Each chapter begins with a hit of history, geography, fable or folk song. It provides such a unique look at the world the author has created in this story. From the beginning you feel Eona's confusion and heartbreak, her fear. The insight into her development
Mom2three
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This one hooked me from the first page! It was probably because the story started out similar to a fairy tale, and I have always loved those. I was also fascinated with the different types of mythical creatures that were incorporated into the story. It was a very original idea, and a total win. Another thing I enjoyed was the amount of time spent on world and character development. I think world development is very important when a story takes place in a mythical land, and this one had the perfe ...more
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Eona's magical abilities are found out and she is kidnapped by the king's magician. She learns a little more about her abilities but is also being controlled and is fighting to maintain her own thoughts and feelings.

This was ok. It had a pretty interesting premise but the romance was thrown in as an afterthought it seems and really kind of ruined the story. Basically Eona at no point expresses any kind of romantic feelings or even a desire for those kinds of feelings. Then while locked up with a
Nicole
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Heart of Time really did give me a challenge, some great some not so great.

The story was amazing, the character were relatable, the setting was beautifully depicted.
The only issue I had with this story is there was a lot of info all at once, and normally that can be an awesome thing there was just something different with Heart Of Time and I can't put my finger on it.
I absolutely think it was the writing, IT WAS NOT BAD WRITING, it was just written differently then I am used to so it took me
Arizona Tape
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I managed to get my hands on a copy of Heart of Time before Skye MacKinnon published (the perks of a beta reader) and fell immediately in love with the story. The main character Eona takes you on a wonderful journey where you get to really know her as a person. With finesse, MacKinnon introduces character after character, weaving them all beautifully together in an intricate web. From cold, harsh dungeons to majestic creatures like Perytons, nothing is off limits in this wonderful story. If you ...more
Samantha
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The only reason I gave 4 stars out of 5, is that there is a lot of world building in this book. Which isn't a bad thing, necessarily. I just personally prefer when the world building doesn't take up the majority of book 1. When I got to the good stuff, I enjoyed it more. However, the good stuff was very close to the end and doesn't last long before the book is over. No cliffhanger though 😀

Overall, I would recommend this read to my friends with the warning to hold in there through the world build
Renée
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heart of Time is a well written fantasy story, with detailed locations, characters and events. The story is extremely engaging as you follow Eona’s difficult journey from her life with the travelling folk, to being kidnapped, development of being able to use the magic she has and so much more.
The beginning of this story reminds me of a Brothers Grimm fairytale. I love the addition extracts in the story from other “books” in this world.
Casey
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received and ARC of this book and voluntarily decided to review it.

The character and world building in this book is fantastic. I felt that the history that you learned through out the book helped understand the world the characters are living in even better.

The author does a great job of creating a world that sucks you in. I can't wait to see how the rest of the story unfolds.

I can't wait to see how the rest of Eona's story unfolds!
Amanda Showalter
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We learn about Eona and a little about her Mom in The beginning. Eona gets captured Because of what she can do. It makes for a really interesting start to the beginning of a series. I like the insight we have into their world and I do really Peryton. Keep in mind that this is a reverse harem book but that Eona is Attracted to female as well as males.
The author wrote a good start to this new world.
Margaux Espinosa
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Holy wow, this was an amazing and unique adventure. I absolutely loved it, I don’t even know what to say about it other than it is amazing, the characters are great, the relationship between Eona and her familiar is beautiful and heart warming. The poor creature goes through so much so quickly as does Eona. This is a wonderful story and I look forward to reading book two.
Andi
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Brooke Japhet
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book!

It was a little hard for me to get into, but I can partially blame that on a book hangover. What’s not to love about this book? Once I got into it, I couldn’t put it down. An amazing storyline and wonderful characters! A wonderful tale full of magic, and the hardships a young girl must go through to fight for her freedom, and fight for the ones she cares about!
Tanya
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
she can use magic but she has to keep it hidden as it was banned, so she would just use it to enhance her magic tricks. then he offers to train her in magic but can she trust him? where will he take her? can her magic be kept hidden? what will happen if she is found out? a must read for everyone to enjoy

Bunny
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This storyline is unlike any I have read before. I enjoyed the change immensely. I am happy that Eona finally found someone to show her that not all people are bad. It seems as though she is a magnet for the liars and power seekers. I look forward to reading the next book.

• Spearwood (Spearwood, #1)
  • Coven Of Magic (The Demon Hunter Trilogy #1)
  • Chantilly's Cowboy (Sisters of McDougal Ranch #1)
  • The Redeemable
  • Naughty List
  • Finding Cassilia
  • Shadow Reaper (Shadowlands #1)
  • Visions of Pain (Capissian Order #1)
  • Wicked Weekend (Pleasure Code, #1)
  • Mia's Men
  • Kicked
  • BORN IN VENGEANCE (Dacian Legends, #1)
  • The Blockade (First Salik War, #3)
  • Obsidian Wings (Soul of a Dragon, #1)
  • Curse of the Gargoyle (Cursed MacKinnons, #1)
  • Demon's Fall
  • Dark Fates (The Vampire Prophecy Book 1)
  • Rock n Roll Promises (Rock n Roll Paraphantasy, #1)
Skye MacKinnon is a USA Today & International Bestselling Author whose books are filled with strong heroines who don't have to choose.

She embraces her Scottishness with fantastical Scottish settings and a dash of mythology, no matter if she's writing about Celtic gods, cat shifters, or the streets of Edinburgh.

When she's not typing away at her favourite cafe, Skye loves dried mango, as much

Ruined Hearts (2 books)
  • Heart of Four (Ruined Hearts #2)