Start by marking “Eating Robots: And Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Eating Robots: And Other Stories

Eating Robots: And Other Stories

Step into a high-tech vision of the future with author of Quantum Confessions and Fluence Stephen Oram. Featuring health-monitoring mirrors, tele-empathic romances and limb-repossessing bailiffs, Eating Robots explores the collision of utopian dreams and twisted realities in a world where humanity and technology are becoming ever more intertwined.

Sometimes funny, often uns
Published May 31st 2017 by SilverWood Books

To ask other readers questions about Eating Robots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eating Robots

Lin
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Alright these short stories really got me intrigued and scared! Yes this is correct the last word is SCARED, but not that kind of scared when you read a horror story or you think you saw and heard something moving in the dark right in front of your bed and then you freak out and cover your self with the blankets, no this is not the case. (I guess most of the people do cover themselves with the blanket when they are frightened aren't they?)

The type of scared I was, was the type when you know that
Susan
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Robot-driven redundancies, antibiotic-resistant bacteria, rogue algorithms, fake news, driverless cars, the insatiable demands on our already-depleted planet… Stephen Oram’s new collection of short stories captures our waking nightmares.

The stories are brief, some less than a page — perfect bite-size anxieties. Their immediacy makes them compelling, as though they were ripped from tomorrow’s headlines.

“The Downward Spiral of the Disenfranchised Consumer” takes the proposal of a universal basic i

Clair
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bite sized visions of dystopian futures. The book contains 30 very short stories featuring robots, AI, electronic credit systems, radical body modifications and more. Marvellous snippets that make a big impact on you as you read. At the end of the book are a series of responses to the stories from robotic experts which were an interesting addition.

These were powerful stories that stay with you long after you close the book. The fascinatingly eerie takes on the near future were well-crafted to gi
C.R.
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
‘Imagine being a hedonist forever’…

Eating Robots is a collection of 30 short stories, offering bite-sized future visions based on technological advances, while holding up a mirror to our current social tendencies.

Most often I find compilations of short stories a bit hit and miss: there are powerful pieces, but hidden among weaker ones. As such I end up stalling, and taking much longer than usual to complete a book. Eating Robots is not like that at all. It is a strong collection with no weak li
Inderpreet Uppal
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Eating Robots is a short story collection about fantasy, science and robots, a future where the robots are a part of each and every aspect of our lives. The author has penned the stories of varying lengths and they cover so many different aspects science fiction.

The blurb mentions, “health-monitoring mirrors, tele-empathic romances and limb-repossessing bailiffs, Eating Robots explores the collision of utopian dreams and twisted realities.” The stories are definitely twisted, surprising and sati
Maggie Milledge
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Instructions for administration;
Keep book available
Read sparingly
Savour each story
Insure contemplation time between readings.

Beware of side-effects;
Thoughts provoked causing unexpected bouts of daydreaming was standing in queues.
Shift in perspective when encountering day-to-day experiences.
Urge to read entire book in one go, see above the administration instructions.

Not a string of pearls as each story is so different. A garland of gems. Oram is perfecting the art of the micro story and characte
Fatima Alsuwaidi
May 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Eating Robots and other stories by Stephen Oram
Review by: Fatima Ahmed Alsuwaidi

In a futuristic world where science and technology and humans are entwined beyond separation. The future is dark and mentally disturbing I have to admit some endings made me get out of my seat and shut the laptop so I can fully digest what happened.
Stephen Oram gives us thirty short stories about living algorithms, robots, non-eating humans and artificial parts. Some funny, some incredibly dark and some wit
Hemantkumar Jain
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The cover of the book says “Nudge The Future Volume 1” and it makes sense once you have read the book. This is unlike any other sci-fi short stories book that I have ever read.

While the total count is 30 stories spanning 125 pages, the fact is that there are only a few ‘stories’. Others are ‘situations’ of a future world. These so called stories are just about a few page in which Stephen introduces a futuristic real-world very-believable situation to you. You then pause, close the book and thin
BCS
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Volume one of the ‘Nudge the future’ series, Stephen Oram’s Eating Robots and other stories is a fun collection of thought-provoking short stories that hover on the boundary fence between science fiction and science fact. Oram’s stories mix science fiction with social comment, and are mainly set in a recognisable near-future, one which borders on being dystopian.

Some of the stories are funny - in a darkly humorous sense - while others are designed as cautionary tales, warning the unwary of the t
Rethi
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eating Robots & Other Stories by Stephen Oram is an amazing collection of sci-fi / dystopian stories.

Each story has been written with care and so much so that it is reflected in the stories themselves. All the stories as a collection is amazing, though when judging individually, I must say that I liked some stories more than the others. Sacred Waters, Logical Love and A Rude Awakening are my favourites. The title story, Eating Robots is a story that I am on the fence about.

The stories feel a
Gill James
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This volume holds a double delight for me. It contains 30 short stories, of various lengths, and Stephen Oram writes about possible futures. I personally am a big fan of the short story and I love any sort of speculative fiction. Oram also contains some responses from the experts. I’m glad to report that these are positive.
I have to confess to reading these stories almost at one sitting. That’s not really the way to do it. Short stories are economical. We should read each one in isolation and l
Elisa
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
What a fantastic collection of stories! All set in an eerily recognizable future, they seem like an uncomfortable warning. There are robots and physical enhancements to humans, but the changes to our current world are so subtle that they seem plausible. The descriptions are so realistic and complete, that it's like being there. Some of the stories are very dark, but they all have an undercurrent of optimism and ultimate belief in human kindness. The real threat seems to be the system and technol ...more
Atlassix
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This collection of tightly focussed stories by Stephen Oram reveals an ability for making you uncomfortable while also forewarning you about what might lie around the corner.

Showing a remarkable brevity, none of these stories outstays its welcome but many will stay with you for a long time after you've finished reading them.

Like sharp slivers under your fingernails these stories definitely hit a nerve. Stephen Oram has a talent for identifying seemingly small details that could easily make the f
Andy Pusey
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eating Robots: And Other Stories should be consumed with relish by the community that enjoy the popular "Black Mirror" view of the near future. Many of the short stories left me desiring more and that is only a good response. Stephen Orams capability to create characters that you resonate with immediately is a skill less found nowadays and this collection is a great addition to his portfolio.
This book made me question and wonder in equal measures on how this world could develop within even my li
Liz
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this is one of the most original collections of short stories I've read. The stories are set in a dystopian future, some of it not very far in the future at all! Each one is a bite size imagining of where an aspect of our life might go. And you really can't predict which direction each story will take. Some are funny, some heartwarming, many are sinister and frequently they are frightening in how close they are to where we are heading. Oram has produced another razor sharp, and ever so s ...more
Privy Trifles
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, review

I have read Fluence by the author and loved it to the core. Hence it was not a surprise when I decided to read his next work. Though I am not exactly a sci-fi fan his writing does make you think a lot. If you notice I have not attached the word fiction to the genre tag as these stories (30 in number) are not entirely stories or a work of fiction. Some of them are probabilities of the future.

Read whole review here: http://www.privytrifles.co.in/2017/05...
Neville Townsend
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good collection of stories well worth a read
Kathryn Parry
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it

This is a collection of 30 short science fiction stories. A lot of different stories that were interesting but a few I thought were too short. I did love this collection though.

I would have liked some to be longer than a few pages as as soon as you got into the story it cuts of sharply. A lot were fantastic though so this is worth picking up for those quick reads. The writing style was great and the stories flowed well so I would be happy to read more from this author.

I did receive this free fo
Melissa Lacy
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a free e-copy of this book for reviewing purposes. That said, all opinions given in this review are genuine and unbiased. Also, there are a few light spoilers for one of the stories ahead, so beware.

I’ll start with full disclosure - while I enjoy short stories, short-short stories usually do nothing for me. Making connections with the characters and story is quite difficult for me when there are only a couple of pages to read. If you enjoy ultra-short stories, then you might have a di
SantaFlash
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a fan of Science Fiction, I think that's what initially caught my eye. I enjoy stories set in a tech future, especially ones that cause the reader to pause and think for a moment. Eating Robots by Stephen Oram is a collection of Sci-Fi short stories that does just that. The best way for me to describe it is to imagine if the Black Mirror series were written in short story format. I think Stephen Oram's stories really come close to the uneasiness that Black Mirror gives the audience. The stori ...more
Pam Raven
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not normally a fan of short stories, but this book has gone some way to change my mind. Developments that we embrace, or don't really consider fully are challenged through plausible scenarios - such as the story about driverless/artificial intelligence cars with chilling consequences. In contrast, the Eating Robots story made me literally laugh out loud! Whatever your feelings about technology, AI and future developments, this book will make you think, smile and shudder in equal doses - high ...more
Thomas Jancis
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
(An ARC from NetGalley)

A selection of short stories concerning technology.

Each story is quite short, never more than 6 or so pages at most.
There is also notes at the end from scientists responding to some of the stories.
I enjoyed the fact the stories offer a brief glimpse into the worlds although that can be a little frustrating.
Worth a read.
Joy
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ereader
I’m on the fence with this book, the stories are all really creative and insightful but many are far too short to have any sort of deep impact. Lots of the stories were literally only one paragraph long, others were much longer, but nearly all of them left me thinking 'is that it?'.

Many of the stories were reminiscent of the TV show Black Mirror; weird and futuristic. Overall Eating Robots didn’t provide meaty enough stories for me to engage fully, but fun and thought provoking nonetheless, I’d
Purajit Malalur
A for effort.

Second half is much better than the first. There's a good diversity of stories in terms of themes/positivity/negativity, but way too many of the stories were just meh. I'd say it's still worth the read, since sci-fi short stories aren't really in high supply.
Bharath Kotha
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking. Makes one think about ethics, AI and future. A fun read.
Amie's Book Reviews
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Full review coming soon.
maggie millard
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is Oram's third book and the best. Read it in short bursts with time to consider the implications of his ideas. I look forward to his fourth book and the new ideas it will contain
Nick Wilcox
Mar 27, 2018
Dawn
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I chose to read this book after receiving a free e-copy. All opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased.

There's not one or two words I can think of that would describe these stories. I'd read one and think that it was interesting and then the next one would leave me with my mouth hanging open. Some of these stories will really make you think. For example, exactly how far is too far when it comes to technology?

Although I found some of the stories to be entertaining fiction, most o
Kirstie
Sep 04, 2017
I write novels and flash fiction that are designed set off small firecrackers of thought to light the world slightly differently inside your head!

I've been a hippie-punk, a religious-squatter and a bureaucrat-anarchist; I thrive on contradictions and am a great believer in being slightly askew from the crowd. There's all sorts of ways of doing that - by being on the fringes of society, by travelli