Start by marking “Devastate (A Love After Loss Novel)” as Want to Read:
Devastate (A Love After Loss Novel)

Devastate (A Love After Loss Novel)

They always say to expect the unexpected. Little did I know the unexpected also meant the unthinkable.

No longer a wife or a mother, what was once a full and meaningful life was now obliterated; leaving me with nothing but darkness in its place.

Until him.

Blazing bright and determined to bring me back to life, Lior came knocking on darkness' door. Gentle, yet fierce; he w
Kindle Edition
Published (first published May 25th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Devastate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devastate

warhawke
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-love
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Type: Standalone
POV: First Person - Dual
Rating:

Evie Wright thought family life would take her happiness to the next level. Instead, it became the very thing that crumbled her apart. Left with a broken soul, she was content with just surviving instead of living. Even when Lior Spencer came into her life, she was oblivious of his good intention, but he was determined to make sure she saw the light.

The title and the blurb were calling my name. It definitely lured me to m
Alex ♈
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
“I think the hardest part of losing someone,
isn’t having to say goodbye, but
rather learning to live without them.
Always trying to fill the void,
the emptiness that’s left inside
your heart when they go”
Christine~justlovemybooks.com blog~
Shelves: arcs
5 Stars! to Devastate by Marley Valentine.

Evie and Lior.......

Wow!
I wasn't even past the first few pages and my heart was breaking! In those few pages, I knew what was going to happen and the consequences as a result of it. I felt powerless to stop it!

This book is appropriately titled. I was absolutely devastated! And this after only a few pages.

Devastate could not have been an easy book to write, and yet is was beautifully written. I felt every emotion. I wanted to jump in those pages and take
Tre Talbot
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 beautifully bright stars. Within the first few sentences in the prologue I have my hand over my mouth with tears in my eyes completely absorbed in the words. We're taken through some tragic events that Evie has lived through, she's viewed as a fragile and delicate woman and considering all that's happened in such a short period of time it's no surprise that she has become a shell of a woman. Elliot has Evie's best interest at heart and he truly believes he's helping her but it's not until her ...more
Sybil aka Lala
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From it's shocking start, this book is saturated with beautifully melancholic moments, some teary smiles and instances that will make you want to both shake these characters and hug them. Marley Valentines deals with some heavy subject matter but she must be commended for handling this with the brevity and respect these situations deserve.

Her writing is stunning and descriptive. Even for someone who has had no experiences like the heroine, every single emotion and action is completely relatable
Denise
3.5 "I've forgotten to be me" Stars

When tragedy strikes not only once but twice, where does your life go? What path will you take, and how much will it change who you once were? The most devastated tragedies either make who we are, or break who we are. And that is what happened to Evie.

Evie became a shell of her former self. The people she has lost have formed her to be distant and miserable. She would rather live in pain, knowing that the pain is the only way she'll never forget. Almost like
Maïwenn  B
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have no words, I am left speechless after reading this book.

I know if I write my review now, I won't do justice to this story and it deserves so much praise. But now, I just can't do it. It's too raw.
Marley Valentine has shattered my expectations and delivered there a real gem.

Full review to come.
Michelle Trzecinski
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I was given an ARC of Devastate, Marley’s debut novel, in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

This book started out on an extreme high for me. The most depressing, captivating high imaginable but still, it sucked me in. The prologue was filled with so much emotion and pain. I had to keep reading to find out where this stemmed from.

The star of this book, Evie, is at an all-time low of her life. As a childless widow, she’s lost most of her motivation to live. As the story progresses, she slo
Tamara Harrington
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From the first page, I knew that I was going to love this book and that there were going to be a lot of feels being caught. By the end of the prologue I already had tears in my eyes and could not put this book down. Evie has been through so much and it takes meeting Lior and having friends be there for you and help you find your way back to yourself in order for her to grow and accept what has happened. Lior is just way to close to perfect. He is what dreams are made of and it definitely gave it ...more
Tamara
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Based on the cover and the blurb, I thought/hoped this book would break my heart in two. Unfortunately, it didn't. I would have loved the author to show me more instead of telling me about the relationship or the things that happened. I also felt like there were parts missing, especially towards the end. It felt a little rushed to me once Evie opened up to Lior.
I think if those things, without spoiling anything, would have been fleshed out a bit more and if the author would have gone a bit deep
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Marley's exquisite writing brings us characters that you can't help but to fall in love and want to be friends with.
Devastate is the kind of story you don't just read...you live it.

While she made me feel like I was right there, experiencing Evie's pain while she tried to cope with her past, and hope when she meets the devastatingly kind Lior Spencer. She also managed to make me laugh so hard at the humor she unexpectedly threw our way, and swoon with lines that were written from the heart.

What h
KFForever
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
kfforever

Reviewed by Donna on behalf of #KFF

This is a debut from Marley valentine and right from the prologue I’m dragged into the story. Totally sucked in with my emotions running deep from the words alone.

This is about Evie who has endured tragic events in her life. She shares her apartment with Elliot and I wasn’t sure what the relationship was there at first. Evie seems closed off, just existing and I wanted to find out why. What is evident is that Elliot is there for her in a comfortable
Big Joe  Rossi
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it

I really liked this book. The story centers around Evie who has lost a lot in the last 2 yrs. A child and a husband. Her grieving is severe. She has a Ph D yet now works in a retail store needing to keep her body tired and not her mind. She exist. She isn't living. That is until two people start to push her out of her doldrums. Her coworker, Courtney, who starts to get her out of her apartment and Lior, her brother in laws coworker.

Lior meets the mysterious Evie and feels a connection to her ri
Ann Batty
Evie is existing, putting one foot in front of the other and living from day to day. Elliot is always there shadowing her to make sure she doesn't fall, never touching her soul but always there. One day she sees his best friend, not knowing he even had one, there eyes lock and instantly there is a connection. Sensing this Courtney, her co-worker, decides it's time she renters the world of the living.
The is great story well written. You can feel the heartache of Evie and her longing to be normal
Kylee
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The title of this book is so accurate, the book will devastate you due to the heartache that one woman has suffered. From the first page this book will have you hooked and tears in your eyes. Evie's story will show you how devastation in your life can cripple you and totally consume you. This is her journey after two years of allowing herself to not live but just to exist and to push the people away who are suffering just as much as she is, along come two people who will bring her from her shell ...more
Konny
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Devastate by Marley Valentine is a stand alone romance novel.

Meet Evie and Elliot.
Both bear tragic losses. They are a kind of friends and roomies. Elliot cares for Evie. Evie is grieving, she has deep deep issues, she drowns in her grief.
And then comes Lior. Slowly, very slowly he manages to pull her out of her darkness.

Devastate is a heart wrenchingly story about loss, death, grief, pain, healing and second chances in life.
Devastate is well thought out, well told and well written. I love the ch
Cj Loves Books
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Devastate has affected me on a personal level. I haven't felt like this after finishing a book since I read Slip of the Tongue by Jessica Hawkins. Marley Valentine has touched on my emotions, emotions that I leave buried deep within myself.

The loss that has been experienced by the main character, Evie, is a loss that I have experienced in my life. I cried and cried some more throughout the entirety of this well-written, courageous story. Writing such a story takes major GUTS!! Marley has created
Teresa Lara
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was raw emotional and very well written.Grabbed my heart and wouldn't let got till I finished it.Evie and Lior story was real.I hope Theres a book 2 cause theres more story here,Highly recommend.
Julie Gustafson-Monk
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
Devastate went from a heartbreaking tearful beginning to a beautiful and joyful ending. I was so happy to see their life complete with an HEA.
I loved everything about this book.

This book definitely deserves more than 5 stars.
Sonal
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Just an okay emotional (finding love again after tragedy) story.
Mette
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Devastate by Marley Valentine is the heartbreaking tale of Evie's return to the world of the living. It is filled with breathtaking emotions like grief, despair, anger, concern, love, passion, hope, desire but most of all its filled with warmth. It filled me with so much warmth and hope that it was almost impossible for me to let go of it when I was finished. I found myself clutching my kindle to my heart and smiling happily.

Evie has lost everything that made her life worth living, and she is no
Dawn Nicole Costiera
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Devastate by Marley Valentine. It totally tugged at my heart from start to finish. Some parts were actually heartbreaking... But in between the heartache there was tenderness and it was filled with hope.

Poor Evie tragedy struck her life, leaving her to endured way too much loss for one person. Everything she held dear was taken away. Leaving her a shell of her former self. She's existing not living... My heart broke for her! Luckily the people in her life refuse to give up on he
Vanessa When Vane Reads
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Version español/inglés
Me gustó mucho esta historia.
Es la primera que leo de la autora, pero les garantizo que no será la última. Es una historia sobre amor, pérdida, dolor, angustia, y sobre todo nuevas oportunidades. El prólogo me dejó con un vacío en el corazón y lágrimas en los ojos, quería abrazar tanto a los personajes y ayudarlos a manejar su angustia, meterme en el libro y ayudarlos a soportar su dolor, fue tan angustiante, me dolió tanto por ellos que inmediatamente me enganché y no pud
Katrina
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a strong title for such a heartbreaking read. Devastate is the first book I have read by this author and it certainly wont be my last and a Debut novel to boot this lady surely kicked some booty with this one ! Or should I say caused a few tears along the way.

She ripped my dam heart out !! Such a brilliant writer .. Her way with words gets into your soul and drags you under till you have read that very last page. Seeing the sunshine after the darkness.

Devastate is a story of loss , and de
Ebru
Shelves: favorites
All I can say is, I am an emotional mess after reading this book. I went through all emotions while reading this book, from sobbing mess to an ear-to-ear smiling goof. It’s beautifully written, gripping story. It draws you in from the very first page. But before I get more into the story, I want to say, just look at that cover work!! Wow… Isn’t that just beautiful??!!

Devastate is a devastatingly beautiful story of Evie, a woman who’s lost everything she ever loved, and Lior, a man who’s determin
Louise Roach
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Can I start by saying this COVER - I absolutely love it! Stunning!

I was lucky enough to read a short story by this author in an anthology of bloggers that Marley Valentine was involved in. I enjoyed that story immensely, so to actually get a full length debut novel is superb! And it DID NOT DISAPPOINT!! I absolutely loved it, and could not put it down, starting last night and finishing this morning...

Right from the very first pages of the Prologue I was hooked. The raw emotion that spilled from
Lu
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Wow... this is a beautifully written debut novel. Marley Valentine did an amazing job writing it. It's raw and heartfelt. This is a story to be experience. The characters are well developed and I really liked them. Evie has had tragedy happen to her and she's still dealing with it her own way. She's in a dark place. Her grief was so real that I was able to feel her pain. Then Lior comes into Evie's life and brings light to her. From the the first moment they met, he saw something special in her. ...more
Lisa Sylva (The Book Bistro)
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Story That Reaches Deep Into Your Heart!
5 Stars On The Menu

I believe it's true that everyone in life goes through tragedy at some point, some worse than others. I also believe that everyone grieves in their own way as well.

This story made quite an impact on me, with my head and my heart - so much so that the pain is still raw from what the main character went through.

"Please. Put your faith and trust in the way I feel about you, because that’s never going to change.”

This story had a powerful p
Carolina León
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where have you been my whole life Marley Valentine?
To say I'm surprised with this talented author, is and understatement.

Imagine my face, when I finished reading Devastate and realized I FELT DEVASTATED because it was over.
Yeap, I even want to re-read it just to transport myself to that very first moment when I knew, this author was gonna change my world forever.

I WON'T give any spoilers about the story and how it progresses, but what I do want to say is, that it's impossible not to feel drawn
Cheril Olmsted
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm speechless!! I have been trying to figure out how to word my review for over an hour and I'm still coming up empty. Which should show you just how great Devastate was. I'm in awe of Marley Valentine's writing ability and commend her for writing a story so heartbreaking that it couldn't have been easy to write, yet she portrayed the words beautifully and to the point where I was able to feel every emotion that all the characters felt. This book had me tearing up from the prologue and continue ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Ripple Effect (Ripple Effect, #1-4)
  • Punched
  • Wanted Woman (Cascades Concealed #3)
  • Grand Passion/Absolutely, Positively
  • Making Thyme (Thyme Trilogy, #2)
  • Dead Run
  • Lotus Effect
  • Goodbye Caution (Lost & Found, #1)
  • Matched in Heaven
  • Then I woke up
  • Jersey Six
  • Unchained (Hogan Brother's #3)
  • Love Corrupted (Obscene Duet #2)
  • Appalachian Prey
  • A Real Man: Volume Two
  • Royal Treatment (Royal Scandal #3)
  • The Prize (The ICON Trilogy #3)
  • Simple Faith (Pagano Brothers, #1)
Marley Valentine comes from the future. Living in Sydney, Australia with her family. When she's not busy writing her own stories, she spends most of her time immersed in the words of her favourite authors.

Sign up to my newsletter to keep up to date with all my news: http://eepurl.com/df9oBr

And follow me on all the following social media

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorMarley...