Start by marking “Decorating Small Spaces” as Want to Read:
Decorating Small Spaces

Decorating Small Spaces

How to apply basic principles for enhancing small spaces.

Room-by-room details for living areas, dining spaces, kitchens, bedrooms, baths, workstations, and more.

Ideas to arrange furniture, manage clutter, create illusion, convert for several purposes, and use color, pattern and texture effectively.

Whole-house tours showcase decorating principals that work in small spaces.

Published January 6th 2004 by Better Homes and Gardens Books

To ask other readers questions about Decorating Small Spaces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Decorating Small Spaces

Start your review of Decorating Small Spaces
Edith
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people interested in design, home improvement
Things I Learned: Dark paint can help a wall or ceiling recede, thus making a space appear larger. Mirrors reflect light and make a space appear larger. Opening up a floor plan, either with dividing walls, cutouts or knocking down walls altogether, will give a small room more space. Storage space can be found vertically, in unused corners and under furniture.

Comments: For some reason, I retained the information in this book better than the other design book I read ("The Apartment Book").
Kathleen
Nov 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: home-decorating
I think the book is worthwhile...even if just for the photos...in the case of those that have some concept of how to put things together or make those photos come to life. I was inspired by several pictures that I plan to implement. However there may be those who find the book is lacking in detail as to how to create some of the purposed ideas...so in that respect it may be frustrating. The book doesn't focus enough in my opinion on small spaces...as much as it does on being more organized & ...more
Darby
Aug 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
I didn't find this book an easy read at all. I don't feel it was really a book for utilizing space in small rooms rather a book of utilizing space in any/bigger size room/house. The book didn't have details in how to create some of the purposed ideas. The layout of the words of the book was confusing to follow. But I found some of the photos in the book inspiring. And even a few might be worth while to implement in a future house but won't work in our current house. The book offers some ways to ...more
Pam
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was about decorating a small space within a bigger space (like a den or kitchen nook), therefore, it was not that useful to me. Some of the ideas were dated and/or not my style. I would recommend this book to an older person with more traditional taste in design/decor.
Susan
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-decor
This work has a good combination of written and pictorial examples. It discusses a variety of small space sizes and goes into some detail as to the importance of using every little inch.
Priscilla