Start by marking “Elyora” as Want to Read:
Elyora

Elyora

When Jo, Hal and Benny arrive in Elyora the absence of takeaway coffee is the least of their problems. At each other's throats and without transportation, phone service or somewhere to stay, they accept the hospitality of the enigmatic Lazarus at the original Elyora homestead.

As day turns to night, the sanctuary of the rambling house becomes a terrifying alternate reality
Published February 14th 2017 by Emergent Publishing (first published April 12th 2013)

Pauline
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. It has 99 pages.
This book started off well with a group of three musicians traveling to a gig when their van breaks down. When they go for help it looks like they have gone back in time to the 1970s. After that things start to get very confusing. I found myself rereading pages because I was lost and had no idea what was going on.
Michael
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jodi Cleghorn's 'River of Bones' is a fast paced tale of horror set in rural Queensland. As an American working in this part of the Great Artesian Basin, I know the mentioned landmarks and recognize the imaginary dangers due to not knowing the history of places where I've stopped for directions, petrol, Lamingtons, or overnight accommodations. Like Zepp's album, 'In Through the Out Door' there's something creepy about entering these places with no understanding of the central stories.'River of B ...more
Bandit
Nov 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pleasant surprise from a totally unknown (to me) australian author. Better than expected from an average free kindle read and certainly better than a regular female genre writer. Starts off in a wholly unoriginal scenario...trio of youngsters (a band in this case) whose van stalls forcing them to take a detour in a small town that time seemingly forgot (or did the town forget the time, read to find out). But from that point on Cleghorn makes the story completely unique, very much her ...more
Kevin Powe
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! It evokes such a strong feeling of place, that's reinforced by the style of writing. Transitions well from the opening to, well... things getting complicated and messy.

Definitely going to check out more of Jodi's work.
S.B. Wright
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
River of Bones was previously published by the Australian Review of Fiction under the title of Elyora, the name of the town featured in the novella. I read it back in January and by a stroke of good fortune happened to read Dr Lisa L Hannett’s article, Wide Open Fear: Australian Horror and Gothic Fiction at the same time. Hannett introduced me to the concept of unheimlich, a term that roughly translates to an object, situation or place that has a quality of being familiar yet foreign at the same ...more
Lukasz
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow! Pleasantly suprised with this one! For a light read it was quite tense, imaginative and actually packed an emotional wallop. And it was to the point! No never-ending boring passages just to fill the pages. Also i can't agree it felt hurried, it had a nice pace, picking up when it needed. Of course you could have more backstory to the characters but this is not action-packed thriller, it's more of a gothic romance almost and it works perfectly as it is.

ps.
they could a make a decent script f
Avardsin
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading... It's an interesting enough concept, but i personally thought it didn't deliver.

I could not relate to the characters in the story, also I thought the characters all came off as one dimensional and they wasn't really anything different one character from another, they all felt pretty much the same.

As for the plot, well you could get most of that from the synopsis. Some people may enough this book, but it wasn't for me.
Dave Versace
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I understand Jodi Cleghorn's River of Bones was originally written as a novella named Elyora. I like the evocative sound of Elyora, the name of the haunted country town in which the story is set, better than the generic spooky title the story has ended up with, but that's my last major complaint. And anyway it's not as if River of Bones is misleading in any way.

River of Bones is the story of a band falling apart on the verge of breaking in. At least, that's what's happening when their tour van b
Chris Fellows
The blurb was fascinating. The cursed town stuck in 1974 is a great idea. I was excited to find when I started reading that the cursed town is on the New England Tableland, 4 km from the New England Highway and about 5 hours from Brisbane. Because, you see, I live on the New England Tableland, just outside a village that is 4 km from the New England Highway and rather farther than 5 hours from Brisbane but I probably don't drive as fast as three young musicians in a van.

So as a geography pedant
Delia Strange
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intense Atmosphere

The mood in this book is very well done. The reader finds themselves cemented in the town of Elyora. Descriptions are vivid and also written in a literary manner (but never self-indulgent), that feeds the imagination. There were many sentences in this novel that I highlighted in my e-reader... they were simply so gorgeous and impactful that I could appreciate the craftsmanship of the writing itself.

I feel that the protagonist accepted some of the early freaky things a little to
Rob Cook
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'River of Bones' is contemporary Australian Gothic at its spine-chilling best. Jodi Cleghorn writes a taut, tense supernatural thriller that merges lyricism with a fast pace and perfectly captures the particular beauty and underlying menace of the Australian landscape alongside the small bitternesses and old secrets that drive small-town life. She casts a wide net - 'River of Bones' has secret government shenanigans, river spirits, weird architecture, temporal slippage, sex, murder and music, pl ...more
Patrick O'Duffy
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's not a lot I can say about 'River of Bones' without spoiling it, other than that it's damned good - a claustrophobic, feverish rush of horror; a morass of bad memory, sexual threat and the harsh Australian bush. Nothing is what it seems and nothing goes in the direction you expect; everything is false, reality falls apart to reknit itself and the storm is coming. Coming fast.

If I have any complaints, it's that I wish the story had been a little bit longer, just to explore the space of Ely
Amie McCracken
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
For a chiller with completely unexpected twists, this book hits it spot on. I couldn't stop. And even when I had to, I started having nightmares associated with the story. Jodi does a wonderful job of making everything seem so normal. The characters fly off the page with distinct personalities and beautiful back stories that the reader seems to know by instinct alone. With each little promise, each moment of uncertainty, the book ramps up to a complete and total disaster. It's a beautiful mess o ...more
Novita Raini
May 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
*A free copy of this book was received through Goodreads giveaway.

The premise of this book is good, and I was so excited when I get it. But it was hard for me to get into the story because I can't quite grasp of what the hell is happening. Everything seems to be rushed since the very first page and the writing makes me really hard to distinguish each narratives. I also feel like I was reading a summary instead of the whole story. There are so many parts that I really want to get more into so I c
Francene Carroll
Fascinating horror story set in Australia. I was very drawn in by this one and read it quickly. I plan to read it again before writing a full review. It's a novella so it was a fast read. I was left wanting more Australian gothic horror in this style. An added bonus of reading this book was that another reviewer drew my attention to Lisa Hannett's great article Wide Open Fear: Australian Horror and Gothic Fiction.
Kelly Erickson
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
River of Bones by Jodi Cleghorn is the ultimate, creepy, keep-all-the-lights-on book. A near ghost town in the middle of nowhere in Australia, Elyora is a town outside of time hiding secrets only hinted at. This book is suspenseful, mysterious, and terrifying. Often all at the same time. I was biting my nails the entire time I was reading it.
S.G.
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read River of Bones in its original incarnation as Elyora. At the time I really wanted a satisfying horror to sink my teeth into, and this didn't disappoint. The story is fast-paced and intriguing, the characters realistic and the situation Jo finds herself in is terrifying. Australian horror is going from strength to strength. Highly recommend!
R.A. Holmes
I really couldn't finish this...
Amanda Bridgeman
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully descriptive writing, in a spooky tale that has you turning the pages to find out what's going on Elyora.
Rick Keuning
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Review: River of Bones
By Jodi Cleghorn

Super Natural thrillers (or horror stories) are not my thing. However, I’ve met Jodie a few times and some people I know highly recommended this book, so I decided to give it a go. I’m glad that I did.

This review is a bit long in coming; I read the book months ago. It’s one of a number of books I read, and want to review, last year. The good thing about ‘River of Bones’ is that the story is still very clear in my mind. That is, the story is memorable, i
Kate Sherrod
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doing another short fiction round-up on my blog; review there soon, but the way it's coming out, it resists breaking up into individual reviews.
Kathryn
Mar 10, 2019
Evelyn
Sep 13, 2014
Simona
rated it did not like it
May 29, 2018
rated it it was ok
Jun 02, 2014

• Sunvault: Stories of Solarpunk and Eco-Speculation
  • One Small Step: An Anthology of Discoveries
  • The Last Cheetah of Egypt: A Narrative History of Egyptian Royalty from 1805 to 1953
  • Vile Blood
  • Engineer in Heels
  • The Briton and the Dane: Birthright
  • The Stuart Vampire
  • Spalding's Scary Shorts
  • Love Like a Dog
  • Nyx
  • West of Paradise
  • Agony (Debt Collector, #2)
  • The Evolutionary Journey of Woman: From the Goddess to Integral Feminism
  • Neurotica
  • The Gate: 13 Dark and Odd Tales
  • Birthright (Mercia Blakewood, #1)
  • Britain by the Book: A Curious Tour of Our Literary Landscape
  • Badass and the Beast: 10 Tails of Kickass Heroines and the Beasts Who Love Them
Jodi is an author and poet (former editor and publisher) with a penchant for the dark vein of humanity. She is the editor of 7 anthologies and publisher of a further 5. Her short stories and poems have appeared in local and international publications.

"Elyora" (also published as "River of Bones"), an Australian gothic horror set in the New England Highlands, is her debut novella (short listed for a