Start by marking “Arts of Living on a Damaged Planet: Ghosts and Monsters of the Anthropocene” as Want to Read:
Arts of Living on a Damaged Planet: Ghosts and Monsters of the Anthropocene

Arts of Living on a Damaged Planet: Ghosts and Monsters of the Anthropocene

Living on a damaged planet challenges who we are and where we live. This timely anthology calls on twenty eminent humanists and scientists to revitalize curiosity, observation, and transdisciplinary conversation about life on earth.

As human-induced environmental change threatens multispecies livability, Arts of Living on a Damaged Planet puts forward a bold proposal: entan
Published May 30th 2017 by University of Minnesota Press

To ask other readers questions about Arts of Living on a Damaged Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arts of Living on a Damaged Planet

Start your review of Arts of Living on a Damaged Planet: Ghosts and Monsters of the Anthropocene
Kathleen
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every essay in here is worth a read, but this is from the especially brillaint “Shimmer: When All You Love is Being Trashed” by Deborah Bird Rose:

“To act as if the world beyond humans is composed of ‘things’ for human use is a catastrophic assault on the diversity, complexity, abundance, and beauty of life” (G55)

“The legacies of Western mechanism have manifested through repeated assertions of human exceptionalism—that man is the only animal to make tools; that man is the only animal with languag
Rogier Boers
I am enthousiastically reading a wonderful book called Art of Living on a Damaged Planet (Anna Tsing and others, 2017). It is an interesting collection of scientific, philosophical, as well as artistic, anecdotal and feminist essays on the impact of homo sapiens on life on earth, of which -of course- we are part.

I am happy with the book, but I do think the goal the book sets itself (by telling 'entangled histories, situated narratives, and thick descriptions' creating arts of living and eventual
Mel
This was a fascinating book. I really enjoyed it even though it was quite academically written and some of it probably went over my head. Fascinating topics and essays.
Makenzie
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Riveting collection of multidisciplinary, experimental essays about living in the late stages of earth as we know it. This is a beautiful book containing two volumes and full of illustrations and pictures. "Monsters" is about symbiosis, the microbiome, and parasites; "Ghosts" is more overtly concerned with destruction of the earth and it's systems.
Bonnye Reed
May 10, 2017 marked it as to-read
I received a free electronic copy of this interesting collections of essays from Netgalley, Anna Lowenhaupt Tsing, and University of Minnesota Press in exchange for an honest review. Thank you all, for sharing your hard work with me.

PUb date May 30, 2017
Jeff
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is really fucking sweet and is a must-read for anyone looking to grapple what caring about the environment can or should look like in the Anthropocene. It'll make you reimagine what's possible, and what could possibly be cooler?
leni
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Eye-opening and important. I think I will use this book for my master thesis.
Rhys
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting, even eclectic, group of essays that somehow suggest that not all ladders lead to humans.
Eliza
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although i read It almost by accident, this was a fascinating book. First, I devoured the excellently written double introductions (ghosts + monsters), as well as the wonderful double Codas. Then I surprisingly found myself reading most of the articles. I say surprisingly, because I am an architect, interested in the narrative reading of science proposed in this book, but theoretically not that passionate about lichens life-span, geology of mud volcanoes, or bacterial cosmologies in the human bo ...more
Daniel Casey
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
an exceptional anthology that moves in unexpected directions that are quite satisfying
Jess
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Collection of cross-disciplinary essays exploring the ‘monsters’ and ‘ghosts’ that have resulted from human impact in the environment. Style and topics cover a broad range but all essays are relatively quick Pulled a few quotes that stood out to me and that I think summarize these perspectives in the anthropocene well.

‘A world increasingly shaped by human activity but also increasingly outside of human control’ G171

‘Writers look for ways of reading landscape not as detached from humans but as d
Lucas Miller
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really loved this, even if I didn't really grasp every essay. Some of the entries were just beyond my background knowledge, but for the most part the authors in this collection go to great lengths to make specialized knowledge universally applicable.

This book assuages a lot of climate doom with curiosity and calls to action. It was fascinated and will leave me thinking about it for a long time to come.
Bridget Pitt
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant and thought provoking read on the condition of our planet, and ourselves within it. One to savour, and to read again and again. One of those books when you want to read every second sentence aloud to your best friends because it just so aptly captures the complexity of our world.
Zach
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An incredible (and honestly often mind-blowing) collection of multi-disciplinary essays on living fruitfully in our time, on a damaged planet. Poses questions worth puzzling over for some time to come.
Genevieve Lambert
This book is confirming!

Life is changing. Reading others' "noticing" is inspiring. We are not autonomous. In how many ways we are not autonomous, is why I will refer back to this book.
Fivel
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm not a fan of academic writing. And this book is an anthology of mostly academic work. However, I think the subject matter is compelling and a few of the essays stand out as powerful pieces. I hope a similar book comes a long that's more accessible for a wider audience.
Andy
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A weird and excellent book I bought on a whim. Very interesting design--it's double sided! Reading this felt like exploring new territory in landscape studies and ecology. Came at just the right time too, definitely informing my participation in my biogeography course this semester.
Olivia Funk
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I congratulate myself on the timeliness of this read, & brace myself as the sobering realities of our planet earth sink in ... lord have mercy ...more
Lynette Dooley
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved the chapter on collective behavior of ants and our ghosts of Chernobyl
Robin  Small
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book bridges the gap between science and fiction in new ways, so that both shed light on the other, and deepen our understanding of reality.
You have to read it.
See Wah
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Arts of Living on a Damaged Planet is a wondrous book. The anthology takes a multidisciplinary approach by weaving the social sciences and natural sciences together to postulate on how we can better live in a world that is increasingly damaged by the Anthropocene.

Mainly, we see a string of essays by anthropologists and biologists, though they are not limited by their field of study—indeed, the contributors (and editors themselves) are luminaries in the work that they do. Most, if not all, advoc
Thomas Riccio

• The Great Derangement: Climate Change and the Unthinkable
  • A Billion Black Anthropocenes or None
  • Whereas
  • The Undying
  • Entangled Life: How Fungi Make Our Worlds, Change Our Minds & Shape Our Futures
  • Gathering Moss: A Natural and Cultural History of Mosses
  • Figuring
  • The Seep
  • Ghostly Matters: Haunting and the Sociological Imagination
  • Prosper's Demon
  • Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants
Anna Lowenhaupt Tsing is Professor of Anthropology at the University of California, Santa Cruz. She is the author of In the Realm of the Diamond Queen: Marginality in an Out-of-the-Way Place and coeditor of Uncertain Terms: Negotiating Gender in American Culture.

News & Interviews