Start by marking “Re Entry” as Want to Read:
Re Entry

Re Entry

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  193 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Peter Jordan's vital, insightful teaching on the challenges and opportunities that await returning missionaries makes this essential reading for every short- and long-term out-reach participant and every local church and mission agency that sends out workers.
Published July 2nd 2013 by Wcl 3rd Party (first published December 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Re Entry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Re Entry

maggie
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
A light, quick read. Returning overseas workers, however robust, can be ambushed by a turmoil of emotions and alien attitudes. In this book there are some very practical and insightful directives but mostly it is quietly empowering - 'if you know what you want/need them don't wait for others, make it happen yourself.'
The other John
We got this book as a parting gift from our agency. 'Tis a book giving advice for former lao wai who now have to face the task of returning to live in their native culture. It's geared toward returning missionaries, though I would imagine it might be useful to other foreign sojourners as well. Judging from the book, it seems that the two big problems for returning missionaries is that a) few people have more than a cursory interest in their life overseas and b) pastors don't really appreciate ha ...more
EJ
May 28, 2007
David
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Required reading for all Christians!

No matter where you are in your journey of following Christ's call upon your life, you should read this book. Taking the Gospel to the world as a faithful witness is one of the primary purposes of the Church. Whether you are called to send and support or called to go, the insights contained in this short book will help you fulfill this calling.

For missionaries about to step into the field, the issues discussed here will alert you to the right questions to have
Susan Smith
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Not a bad book, but not overwhelmingly good, either. As a recently returned missionary, I found that so much of this book seemed aimed at those who go on short-term trips. Also, the book desperately needs to be updated -- brought into current times. There is no mention of being able to keep in touch and communicate via the Internet/Skype/FaceTime, etc.. Almost every missionary now has access to the internet, whether daily or on trips for supplies. There's some basic good info, but you need to di ...more
Annemarie Metcalf
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book includes a well thought out description of each season of missionary life as it closes and renters the missionary's home culture and church family. There are some great tips and ideas, as well as poignant true stories toward the end. It's not sugar coated and tactfully handles many common experiences that missionaries encounter that they'd probably not expect.
A fast read, I'd recommend a person read it as they approach heading back from the field or in considering missions and what to
David
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This title is the first I have read on the subject of what a person does on returning from a mission experience. The points are excellent, and would be helpful for just about anyone returning from the field. I may even recommend it to the people who join me on my next Russia mission trip, and to the youth in my church who are going to Haiti this summer. This book is definitely one to read and to use in transitioning back to the States after ministering abroad.
Sydney Drinkwater
A little dated, of course, but still an invaluable (and quick) read for any missionaries (from a 2-week project participant to a long-termer) traveling between home country and assignment country. Would even be good for family members to read through to better understand this type of culture shock.
Donovan
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
This was an excellent introduction to re-entry experiences but I was looking for more depth than this book offered. A quick and easy, sometimes even entertaining, read; this book is geared more for STMs and a tool like this should be part of every STM training and debriefing program. However, for long-term overseas workers, I wish it were more extensive.
Julie Mills
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I moved back to the USA in 1996 after living in Russia for 3 1/2 years, this book saved my life. Saved. My. Life. I wish I'd read it before I ever left the States; not after I returned. I was very prepared to embrace a new, different culture; I was totally unprepared to re-embrace my own. Thank you, Peter Jordan. You helped me feel like I wasn't going crazy! :)
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A straightforward, quick read that was way more helpful than I expected. He offers great self-evaluation questions and Biblical advice for both before and after re-entry. The perspective offered is really encouraging and validating, and at the same time I feel challenged to live out a higher calling. I'm really glad I read this before leaving the foreign field.
Seth Westhoff
Aug 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was quite informative for those making cross-cultural transitions. What I did not like however was the author's use of "home" to describe missionaries tranistion from another culture to the States. For certain people, the States are only home in the sense that where one grows up is home. It is not where they live, prefer or where their heart is.
Kjersti
Jul 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who has ever entered a foreign culture and is ready to come back
Shelves: books-i-own
I truly recommend this book to anyone going abroad for any length of time, be it for missions or something else. The author, having gone through quite a few transitions in his own life, knows what he's talking about, and offers very real advice and predictions. I definitely recommend this!
Liz
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Good book for missionaries who are returning to the US after short or long term trips. Somewhat dated in references and a bit cheesy sometimes , but good nuggets, and helpful pointers and questions to think through.
Stephanie
Some good tips, but felt that a lot of this won't apply to us. The chapter on families was a good one; too often I focus only on my own thoughts/feelings and fail to realize that our family will be simultaneously processing 5 sets of thoughts/feelings. Overwhelming for sure.
Sara Best
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, missions
very practical
Kiersten
Jul 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Quick read. Worth reading if you are returning from a missions experience, but mostly geared towards long-termers (6 months, a year, or more). Also a little dated.
Tiffany
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
quite a bit of fluff of analogies with astronauts, but some great pointers and practicals to cover in the going, and returning on missions - both short and long term.
Emeshea
May 26, 2010 rated it liked it
A great read for anyone returning from the mission field or going out on their first adventure! So many great ideas on how to process things and re-learn your own culture.
Brenda
Oct 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Brenda by: Bill M
Light, interesting. Must read for short term teams and people going to the US for the first time after an extended time overseas on a mission
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-read
Invaluable to someone like myself having just returned from mission! Quite dated but still some relevant stuff in there that really helped.
Lucía Ayala
Jul 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Nice little and quick read for people coming back home. The book is contemporary to its time of publication, so it can read a little outdated sometimes.
Deasy
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The only book written about re-entry, yet still relevant!
Judith
May 02, 2009 rated it liked it
an easy-to-read introduction to this subject; helpful as a first step for someone returning to their home country
Whitney S
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Book is a bit outdated and also is written to a different generation. A lot of the points make sense and I've heard them presented better from other resources.
Jenn
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Although I'm not a missionary, I got a few "nuggets" that I can apply to myself as I return back to the States.
Cory
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the best resources I've found that discusses the reasons for and challenges facing those who are returning from living overseas in a Missions context. Great book!
Grace
Aug 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who has lived away and is returning home
Recommended to Grace by: a friend
A great book on what you can expect when you return home after living away for a while.
Amy
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is a great book for people who are preparing to go back "home" after being in the mission field for a while.
Tiffany
Aug 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Friend Raising: Building a Missionary Support Team That Lasts
  • Foreign to Familiar: A Guide to Understanding Hot - And Cold - Climate Cultures
  • Daring to Live on the Edge: The Adventure of Faith and Finances
  • Ministering Cross-Culturally: An Incarnational Model for Personal Relationships
  • Ten Commandments Twice Removed
  • The Story of Redemption: A Concise Presentation of the Conflict of the Ages Drawn From the Earlier Writings of Ellen G. White (Christian Home Library)
  • Don't Let the Goats Eat the Loquat Trees: The Adventures of an American Surgeon in Nepal
  • Reckless Faith: Let Go and Be Led
  • From Jerusalem to Irian Jaya: A Biographical History of Christian Missions
  • The Father Heart of God: God Loves You, Learn to Know His Compassionate Touch
  • A Mind for God
  • Intimate Friendship with God: Through Understanding the Fear of the Lord
  • Complete Financial Guide For Young Couples (Christian Financial Concept)
  • Simple Spirituality: Learning to See God in a Broken World
  • Knights
  • Survival Japanese: How to Communicate without Fuss or Fear Instantly! (Japanese Phrasebook)
  • Missionary Methods: St. Paul's or Ours?
  • The God Of The Mundane