Start by marking “The Game: One Man, Nine Innings, A Love Affair with Baseball” as Want to Read:
The Game: One Man, Nine Innings, A Love Affair with Baseball

The Game: One Man, Nine Innings, A Love Affair with Baseball

A game between the Iowa Cubs and the Nashville Sounds provides the lens through which the author explores the game of baseball and the meaning of life, in a testament to the everlasting wonder and magic of a great American pastime.
Published May 7th 2001 by Tarcher

To ask other readers questions about The Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Game

Start your review of The Game: One Man, Nine Innings, A Love Affair with Baseball
Susanna Natti
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Fans of Robert Benson's writing (I was unfamiliar with him, but he is known for his work on spirituality and faith) and of baseball may find more in this book than I did. It is gently written and I gained some insights into the joys of baseball, and insights the game offers into a life well lived. Benson writes in a patient, sometimes folksy, way. I was grateful that it never became "Chicken Soup for the Baseball Lover". But I was somehow never grabbed by the book. It may be the right cup of tea ...more
Michael Sclafani
May 18, 2020 rated it liked it
A lovely, simple book. I worried at first it would be a little Tuesday's with Morrie, but it lacked the pretension. Some chapters resonated more than others, and I think ideally it would be read as a series of stories. I also think the metaphor of tying it to a single game was a little stretched at times, but I still enjoyed the book.
Brian
May 22, 2011 rated it liked it
As someone who thinks that baseball is the purest form of sport (at least when it's played properly and PEDs aren't involved...but I digress) I very much enjoyed Mr. Benson's simple tribute to the game. Like Mr. Benson, I like going to a minor league park nearly as much as I enjoy going to a major league one. There is something that's just so small town America about going to a minor league game, whether it be the carnival-like games played between innings by children or the fact that it doesn't ...more
Jennifer Lindsay
Oct 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: baseball
11/12: Good read. Loved all the references to the Chicago Cubs and Wrigley Field. Appreciated this man's love for all the nuances and details of baseball and the reverence he held for his baseball memories. His memories of going to a certain ballpark for the first time were like my memories. I loved the detailed way he wrote about baseball memories and the games and his life. This book reminded me of all the reasons I love the experience of watching baseball games live, on the TV, and through th ...more
Nathan
Oct 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: franklin-library
A bit sentimental, as the title might suggest. Benson is a simple man, with simple pleasures, and he simply wants to tell you about them. I enjoyed his old-fashioned approach to the game; he appreciates the tradition and the symbolism of baseball, without moaning over the more modern and moneyed aspects of it. But he's also careful not to wander off into tangents on what baseball stands for; he just likes the game for what it is.

He isn't the best writer; he's a generically good writer. His pros
Kevin
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Robert Benson brings things back to why fans fell in love with baseball in the first place. Describing the scenery and actions surrounding a regular evening's minor league game, the author makes comparisons and metaphors from the game of baseball, relating them to his personal life and life in general. While this book may not teach you, the reader, anything you did not already know, it is a great reminder as to why baseball is such a beloved sport around the world.
Shannon Hyde
Jun 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I fell in love baseball as I've watched my 13 year old son play this game over the last five years. It's a sport I never cared much for before, but now I can't seem to get enough . . . summertime, sunflower seeds, a smooth catch and throw or the solid crack of the bat: Benson does a fabulous job of highlighting the sounds and sights of this precious pastime and most interestingly of all, it's unique way of teaching us valuable life lessons.

Kbg503
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So many wonderful moments to follow; baseball's traditions, the current box score, memories of attending a MLB game, following a minor league team, passing down skills to your children, and quotes from Bart Giamatti.
Joe Swearingen
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is excellent baseball book that reinforces how great the game is. It is an easy & quick read but loaded with real baseball history from someone who shares my love and passion for the game. If you are a fan or do not understand why people are you should read this one. I loved it. ...more
Gary Allred
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Delightful! Anyone whose ever been to a baseball game, and especially with children, will love this book. And, if you've ever played the game, you will be taken back to the crack of the bat, no matter how long ago, or in what setting, it occurred.
Myles Kahn
An easy read but some editorial errors which I find annoying.
Sandy
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I connected with this story on so many levels. A fun story with a baseball game inserted between chapters. A book to read at the beginning of each baseball season.
Melissa
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read this a while ago. Great book!
Tim Hoiland
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
A short, enjoyable book about baseball and life by a great writer and a true fan.
Michelle
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Enjoyed this book. I can't wait to make some more baseball memories with my guys!
Mike
Mary Beth
Nov 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Great and Glorious Game: Baseball Writings of A. Bartlett Giamatti
  • The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures
  • Praying Our Goodbyes
  • Openings: A Daybook of Saints, Psalms, and Prayer
  • Desert Solitaire
  • Speaking Christian: Why Christian Words Have Lost Their Meaning and Power - And How They Can Be Restored
  • The Strange Career of Jim Crow
  • Roll, Jordan, Roll: The World the Slaves Made
  • American Slavery, American Freedom
  • Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith
  • Nutrition For Dummies
  • The New Better Off: Reinventing the American Dream
  • Still: Notes on a Mid-Faith Crisis
  • Everybody, Always: Becoming Love in a World Full of Setbacks and Difficult People
  • Jesus and the Disinherited
  • How to Be an Antiracist
  • X-Men: Grand Design - Second Genesis #2
  • X-Men: Grand Design - Second Genesis #1
Robert Benson has written more than a dozen books about discovering the Holy in the midst of our everyday lives. He is a lifelong churchman, a graduate of the Academy for Spiritual Formation, a member of the Friends of Silence and of the Poor, and has been named a Living Spiritual Teacher by Spirituality and Practice. Benson lives and writes, pays attention and offers prayers at his home in Nashvi ...more

News & Interviews