Start by marking “Showing Him the Ropes (Champions of Desire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Showing Him the Ropes (Champions of Desire, #1)

Read Book

Showing Him the Ropes

(Champions of Desire #1)

When a Gruff Veteran Meets an Irrepressible Rookie, Who Will Come Out on Top?

Chance “The Chancellor” Gerhardt – multi-time champion and respected veteran of the locker room – worries he’s entering the twilight of his professional wrestling career. All he wants is one more shot at a championship title run. Instead, his boss saddles him with mentoring a hot, young rookie, De
Published August 16th 2016 by Torlina Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Showing Him the Ropes, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Dale Zimmerman
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Christa Tomlinson Hello Beverly! Thank you for reaching out to me. I don't currently have any books for free on Nooks, but I often do giveaways. Showing Him the Ropes i…moreHello Beverly! Thank you for reaching out to me. I don't currently have any books for free on Nooks, but I often do giveaways. Showing Him the Ropes is a gay romance novel. Is that a genre you're interested in? If so, I can share with you where to find free books.(less)

Start your review of Showing Him the Ropes (Champions of Desire, #1)
Ele
Jul 24, 2016 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars*

I like Christa Tomlinson's books because they 're relationship and character driven, and the chemistry between the MCs is crazy hot. Unfortunately, I didn't love "Showing Him The Ropes" as much as I loved her other work. That said, I did enjoy it a lot, it kept me engaged, and I'm definitely looking forward to the next book in the series.

I don't like wrestling, which is practically a non-existent sport in my country. However, I found the details about it interesting enough, and althou
Amanda
4.5 'slow down' stars

This is quite a refreshing read because it centered on professional wrestling. Put two males wrestler together and is going to be some really hot grappling.

Chance aka Chancellor, 38, had been in the industry for more than a decade. He was burnt out and feeling rather lonely, due to his unsupportive parent and lack of social life. He had a serious and stoic no-nonsense persona and was respected by his peers. When he was task to look after a rookie, he was feeling less than w
Vallie
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it
This was my first professional wrestling novel and, unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll be a repeat customer.

Devin is a rookie and assigned to be mentor by the Chancellor, a 38 year-old wrestler with an impressive career. They go on the road together from show to show and room together. The attraction is immediate on both sides but Chancellor is reluctant to pursue it, mainly for professional reasons. Don’t mess with someone on your roster and all that.

Things I liked:

The wrestling: I had no idea
Viv
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really, really loved this book. For full disclosure, I love professional wrestling. I watched it when I was in high school (my fav was Shawn Michaels) and my 12 year old son is a huge fan now. We went to a WWE Monday Night Raw a few months ago and I loved getting a little peek at the behind the scenes. Another plus was that one of the MCs was from St. Louis. Who can resist a shout out to Imo's pizza!?!?

This book was really well written and I enjoyed the development of The Chancellor and Devin
Jaime
"You’ve convinced yourself you’ve got a crush on your teacher, when really you’re using me as a crutch.”

This is a really good book by author Christa Tomlinson which I have read and enjoyed in the past - however this book isn't her normal BDSM despite a very fun spanking and a sassy bottom. This story takes us deep into the world of professional wrestling, and if you have ever watched those sexy men bouncing around in the ring, with hardly any clothes on...well, it wasn't hard to imagine these ch
K.J. Charles
I think it is fair to say that professional wrestling romance is not going to be my new genre. I'm never big on sports romance, possibly because I just don't like the whole idea of these in-groups with special social rules to which everyone must conform, particularly if they're full of hazing and Men doing Masculine Man Things. This may be why I'm not a fan of army romance either.

From a total know-nothing perspective it seemed to me the book treated wrestling with a very good balance between lo
Chocalicious Love
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Having never read an MM romance featuring wrestling, I was happy to jump on this. It was different … Good different. Man, it was hot!

There was Chance, 38, who had been wrestling for at least a decade, and he was lonely. And then there was Devin, 26, and new to the industry. Excited and bratty.

Having been a fan of Chance since forever, Devin, was only too pleased to be mentored by Chance but the more time they spent together, his hero-worship developed into something more. Much more. But Chance
Jordan
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alphabookclub
Showing Him the Ropes was sexy, sweaty, and freaking hilarious! Initially, this book was on my "maybe" list, but oh am I so happy I decided to read it!

Chance "The Chancellor" Gerhardt has been in the pro wrestling game a long time. His veteran status has earned him a lot of respect both in and out of the ring, but his tenure with Frontier Pro Wrestling certainly doesn't help him pull any strings when his boss attempts to use his knowledge of the field to his benefit. Devin Jacobs is young talent
Trio
Free copy of book provided by author for honest review through MMRG's Don't Buy Me Love program

This turned out to be a really good love story. The MCs, Chance and Devin, have great chemistry and the author does a fantastic job of drawing out their attraction (no insta love here). Obviously they're going to get together, but Devin's persistence gradually ropes Chance in and when they get together, yeah it's perfect.

There was way more info on professional wrestling than I needed personally, but I
Jay
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars – It’s obvious from the start of Showing Him the Ropes that its author, Christa Tomlinson, must be a big fan of professional wrestling and that she’s not one of those deluded people who believe it’s real (*grin*). For a subject that is often heavy with on-screen dramatics, I was interested to get a peek behind the curtain, perhaps read things that fit a fantasy or two along the way, and get a story that translated some of the dramatics into the romance too. The first two happened, and ...more
Tammy
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: average-read
It took almost half the book for me to truly get into it but I was determined to get through it because I felt it had potential and it turned out I was right. It picked up once Chance stopped giving Devin the cold shoulder and the hot and cold act, I’m glad Ben who was a homophobe and bully got what he had coming. 😊 Overall good decent read.
iam
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia, favorites
Omg I absolutely LOVED this.

I've been meaning to read a romance set in the world of wrestling for a while now, so when I saw Showing Him the Ropes on sale I picked it up immediately. And I am SO glad I did!

I adored the characters, especially Devin. He's the rookie wrestler who newly joins Frontier Professional Wrestling, where Chance has been working for 13 years. Chance isn't thrilled when his boss asks him to show Devin the ropes, but soon realized he doesn't mind travelling and rooming with
Cadiva
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5*

I don't know the first thing about pro wrestling, it's not something I've ever really watched or followed much, but overall have to say I really enjoyed this romance.

Chance, The Chancellor, has been top of the game for ten years when rookie Devin crashes into his life and gives him something else but wrestling.

A few people know he's gay, but he's never played with someone on the same roster who he works with. Devin keeps pushing his buttons and they end up in bed together.

I loved the dynamic
Fani
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, safe
“Should I tear out a piece of paper from my kitten notebook, write Do you want to go steady? on it and pass it to you in the locker room?”

A few chapters in the book I thought that I couldn’t like this story, I felt that there wasn’t anything beyond physical attraction between David and Chance, no chemistry. What was missing for me was intimate moments for the main character where they would have the chance to be alone and get to know each other, truly communicate and form an emotiona
ReadingAllNite
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, arc-read
In the interests of full disclosure, I won a copy through a contest from the author.

This was a pleasant surprise from Christa Tomlinson both as the start of a new series and a different style of romance than I've seen from her before. It's a behind the scenes look at the world of professional wrestling, through the eyes of our couple, Devlin and Chance. Chance is a veteran in the ring and is assigned as mentor to Devlin, the new rookie at FPW, the company they work for. Chance, 38 years old, is
Jen Davis
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I generally enjoy a burly, strong, stoic hero and not only did I find one here, it’s in context of a closeted pro-wrestler who is finally about to find love.

Chance is has built his life around his career in the ring. He doesn’t have the time or inclination to find a relationship –and rarely even picks up a one-night stand on the road. Coming out could be disastrous for his reputation and it’s never been worth the risk. Until Devin enters the picture.

Devin is a young upstart wrestler who has been
Lisa
I was given a copy of this book free by the author in exchange for an unbiased review.

Way back in the late eighties and early nineties I loved to watch the WWF on the TV. I sat patiently waiting for the music of my favorite wrestlers to start and for them to run down the runway to the ring. I believed it all. No way was it fixed and planned ahead, it was a very long time before I actually believed it.

Reading this book took me back to that time. It was so like I imagined the heights of the WWF to
Tanja
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lovely story. It may sound a bit strange to say that about a story set in the pro wrestling world because the sport is anything but lovely. It is grueling as pro sports always is, with hard-set rules and no rest for the wicked. And yet I stay will my statement. I have read many sports novels but never one about pro wrestling. It is not really my sport, but this author managed to sway me. It gave me really good insight into what happens in the ring and backstage. Very interesting to re ...more
Jaymie
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
***A copy of this book was provided by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest and fair review***

He's known to the fans as “The Chancellor” and they love to hate him. As one of the most veteran wrestlers with Frontier Professional Wrestling, he's a leader and someone his colleagues look up to in and out of the ring. He’s getting tired though, after a decade being the "Chancellor" and the toll it's taken on his body, he's starting to think of the future. When his boss Alex announces Chance
Stacey Jo
I was given a free copy of this book by the author through the Don’t Buy My Love free for review program by the MM Romance Group on Goodreads in exchange for an honest review.

I grew up watching the WWF so I’m very familiar with the concept of the storylines that go with wrestling. That was one of the things I found very interesting about this story. I enjoyed seeing the inner workings of the wrestling association and how they worked. It’s been a very long time since I’ve watched wrestling, but
Diverse
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: august-2016
4.5 Stars

I wasn’t sure what to expect with this book. Wrestling isn’t something I gravitate toward and I went into this a bit nervous. I am so SO SO glad I went for it. Showing Him the Ropes is so much more than JUST a book about wrestling. As a matter fact it made me appreciate these guys and girls who go out there to entertain people. It’s not easy on them at all. They work harder than a lot of athletes.

So we have the whole wrestling thing happening. Chance, The Chancellor, is asked by his b
Ashley
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bb-review
HOLY SMOKES Y'ALL! I read this in one sitting and then started the next book in the series. That's how much I loved this.

So let me say this, you don't have to be a avid wrestler fan to understand what's going on. Tomlinson uses the terminology but does so in a way that you understand as your reading. If you don't, she added a handy little glossary in the beginning. I scanned it before reading but it wasn't necessary.

The story weaved around Chance and Devin was intriguing. Not only did you get
Ash
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because I really wanted to read the second in the series, In His Corner, but didn't want to miss out on any potential backstory. And I'm so glad I didn't skip this book!

There were lots of things I loved about Chance and Devin's story. The author is clearly very knowledgeable about professional wrestling and I learned a lot about the sport reading this. The romance was really well written, starting off slow and a bit reluctant on Chance's part, but once things got going, it
Mandy
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
So, I'm not one for writing a lot of reviews. Mostly I just use the star rating and keep going through, reading more and more. I think that's because I'm never entirely sure what to say in this, especially if I think the writer is reading this and thinks I sound like a goof if I say things like 'Oh, this was so good' or 'I really enjoyed this' (yes, I am just this paranoid).

But, I'm trying to step out of my comfort zone a bit and write a little bit on why I like books, especially if it's a book
Amy Dufera
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so glad to have discovered Christa Tomlinson.
I am hooked from the very beginning.
And I cannot wait to see what happens else happens in this series.

Picture the WWE wrestlers and their matches. That is the equivalent to the world that Christa has created in this series. I am not a wrestling fan myself, but I am more than familiar with the WWE as my husband and son love it. But, even if I could not easily imagine this world, I would have still loved this book.

Showing Him the Ropes in Book 1
Karen
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great story by Christa Tomlinson!! Loved it!

I went about this a bit backwards, reading the second book (In His Corner) in this series first and then going back to read Showing Him the Ropes.
It was a lot of fun to reconnect with the secondary characters from the other book and to see Devin and Chance interact with the other wrestlers, especially Tré and Brandon from In His Corner.

Devin and Chance are definitely a case of opposites attract. The young rookie with the open personality and
Xanthe
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I haven't ever watched wrestling and it's not something I'm interested in.
However, I really enjoyed this book! It is set in the world of wrestling but there's a lot more to it than that. The relationship really brings out the emotions between the MC's but also with the group of people involved with the wrestling promo group they are in.
Chance "The Chancellor" is the pro, having been on the circuit for a few years and Devin is the new talent on the team and Chance is put in charge of showing h
Milly Molly
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I know nothing about wrestling at all so I didn’t know if I’d be a bit lost reading this book but I really enjoyed it.
There is a glossary at the start with some common terms for us wrestling newbies and as quite a few of the scenes are set in the ring it really helped. The wrestling world was definitely part of the storyline but it didn’t overshadow the relationship developing between the two MCs. It was natural that it was intertwined into the story as wrestling is so much part of their lives,
Stellaria
3 star rating!

Although I did enjoy the book quite much, I was confused with some of the background of the character's actions. There were times I understood them and other times where I didn't. Especially Chance. He was the big question mark in the whole story.

First of all I love to read a book with athletes, no matter what the sport is. And when an author explains this and that, that make the story more powerful for me, more believable that the author knows what she/he's writing about.

There wa
Sarita Chapdelaine
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I love this book and it is always a win for me when a sports story gives a realistic and interesting portrayal of the sport. It is fast-paced, well-written, scorching hot and I could not put it down. There is a good balance of wrestling and romance and enough angst to keep me riveted until the end. Chance and Devin approach their personal lives and careers in very different ways. Chance is adamantly opposed to having a relationship with anyone that has ties to wrestling and because they are on t ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Replace Cover Image 8 33 Jul 29, 2016 09:30AM

• Tight Quarters (Out of Uniform, #6)
  • Squared Away (Out of Uniform, #5)
  • Call the Coroner (Staniel, #1)
  • Honeymoon for One
  • Virgin Flyer
  • Nailed (Four Bears Construction, #2)
  • Wheels Up (Out of Uniform #4)
  • Serving Mr. Chamberlain (Different Hearts, #3)
  • Dig Your Grave (Staniel, #2)
  • (Watch Me) Break You (Run This Town, #1)
  • Scars and Secrets (Loose Ends, #1)
  • Caring for Little Ollie (Different Hearts, #1)
  • Fixing Little Red (Different Hearts, #2)
  • Pop Star (Famous #1)
  • Kiss Your Scars (Loose Ends #3)
  • Full Circle: An Israel and Reggie Novella (Run This Town #2.5)
  • Rush: An X and Dima Novella (Run This Town #1.5)
  • Here We Go Again (Men of Fort Dale, #3)
Christa Tomlinson is an exciting up and coming author in erotic romance. Christa graduated from The University of Missouri-St. Louis with a degree in history. She loves to create stories that are emotional and lovely with sex that is integral to the characters' romantic arc. Her books include straight couples, curvy couples, gay, and multicultural couples. Love is love and everyone should have the ...more

Champions of Desire (2 books)
  • In His Corner (Champions of Desire, #2)