Start by marking “Miracles” as Want to Read:
Miracles

Miracles

In this text, Lewis attempts to show that a Christian must not only accept but also rejoice in miracles as a testimony of the personal involvement of God in his creation. He challenges the rationalists, agnostics and deists on their own grounds.
Published February 4th 2002 (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Miracles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miracles

Start your review of Miracles
Manny
Most people here on Goodreads will have had the experience of meeting an intelligent, witty, well-informed person who holds views that you absolutely do not agree with, but who defends them with imagination and force. This can often lead to extraordinarily enjoyable discussions, even if, at the end, your beliefs (at least, the ones you are aware of) have not been changed at all. Well, reading Miracles was rather like that for me, which is why I'm prepared to give it three stars. Lewis presents a ...more
Tim
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My inveterate hatred of magazines began during my sophomore year of college. I was at a friend's apartment, waiting for him to get out of the shower, when I noticed a TIME magazine on his coffee table. It had a big picture of Jesus on it, with the headline "What Do We Really Know About Jesus?"

At the time I was an atheist or, more accurately, an agnostic. But I'd spent quite a bit of time in class that year reading and discussing significant portions of the Old and New Testaments, as well as tran
K.D. Absolutely
May 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
I must admit that I think I did not fully understand what this book was trying to tell me. However, I am happy to say that I gave this book a chance: I read each word slowly and carefully even if I had more engaging fiction books in my currently-reading folder.

You see, I earlier read and liked his two later works, A Grief Observed (1961) and Mere Christianity (1957) before reading this earlier book that was first published in 1947. So, I invited some members of our book club to read this with m
Kurt
Aug 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a clear 5-star book. I was flat-out stunned by how wrong my prior expectations were for this book. I imagined this to be a less formal discussion on what miracles meant to Christians and maybe why God uses them, etc.

This is a philosophy book. It is the most intellectually challenging CS Lewis book I've read and it is totally worth it. This book uses logic and clear language to present a case for Divinity in general and the existence of the Supernatural. It then describes how miracles are
Cindy Rollins
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I am trying to read through Lewis's Canon which is extremely fluid in places, not quite as canonized as Shakespeare. This book is pure Lewis. He takes a subject and logically works his way through it. We do not always understand what he is saying but he says it so well we do not care.

I always feel sad while reading Lewis that he is dead and not sitting across from me at the Bird and the Baby.
Brittany Petruzzi
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, non-fiction
Miracles is dense; more so than any Lewis book we’ve read this term. The entire book is a somewhat stealth exercise in Lewis’ presuppositional apologetic. By that I mean not that Lewis argues with the non-Christian from some imaginary set of shared presuppositions, but that he deftly dismantles the non-Christian’s presuppositions, leaving him standing there, naked, ashamed, and in desperate need of the Gospel. And he does it all before the non-Christian knows what’s happened.

It’s kind of like on
John
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Miracle" has become a dirty word in modern society. People generally view miracles as being, by their very definition, things that cannot possibly occur; therefore, anyone who argues for their existence is demonstrably an idiot. In this book, though, Lewis argues that miracles are only impossible so long as people consider Nature to encompass the entirety of all existence. He then capably demonstrates that Nature actually doesn't, thereby opening up an extensive range of fascinating possibility ...more
Douglas Wilson
May 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Excellent. Went through it again in March of 2016. Richer each time.
Barnabas Piper
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lewis is so brilliant.
Anna Maria
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must say that I have been trying to read this book for a long time but somehow I kept on strolling through the chapters with slight interest. Eventually one day I took this book with me while I had a visit and started reading with more interest and I finally understood that it was worth the read.
I was reading where he describes the incarnation of Christ and the book had all my attention. The content is very interesting and I highly recommend it.
Ryan Hawkins
I thoroughly enjoyed this. I admit I was skeptical of the book at first, simply because I am not that interested in the philosophical debate on whether miracles happen or not, and because Lewis can be unpractically heady sometimes. But the book was much more than this.

The best way I know how to describe the book is to say that it is very similar to the apologetic works of Francis Schaeffer—yet more philosophical and I would say less clear than Schaeffer. His insights, critiques, and reasonings a
Carol Bakker
I slogged through the first ten chapters, plodding onward because it was C.S. Lewis. Then the door cracked open in chapter 11 and by chapter 14 I was illuminated and enthralled. It seemed that his audience for the earlier section was readers without faith. But once he started describing The Grand Miracle (the incarnation of Christ) and several other classes of miracles, my attention was fixed.

I have added a new Goodreads bookshelf: Terminal DX. There are several titles that I would like to read
Sharla
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dense, complex and worth the read.

I have been trying to finish this book for a long time. Finally I brought it with me on a train and read it to the end.

The arguments and flow of logic are good but you really have to concentrate as you read to follow Lewis's thought process at points.

I am curious what individuals who aren't Christian would think of this book. Anybody want to tell me?
John Anthony
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Defeatism strikes again!

Another one given up on. Life's too short....

2* based on what I managed to read. I don't think this has aged well.
Jasmine
Jun 15, 2020 added it
Shelves: harpercollins
Okay this is another book I remember DISTINCTLY finishing, cause I was flush with victory. Don't remember anything about it, but I remember finishing this.
Bailey Marissa
This book is Lewis walking through each argument against miracles and explaining why miracles are possible despire said arguments.

Again, I do necessarily agree with everything but that's ok. This is still a good book, even though it is very hard to get through.

Recommended 14+
Rachel
Oct 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
I hate to say that this was not my favorite C.S. Lewis book so far. Without a class discussion, I’m not sure I could have waded through half of the arguments Lewis brings up. It was intended for those who are skeptical of miracles, and that subject was definitely one that I have wondered about.

I am a Latter-day Saint, and I believe in miracles. But I have always been under the impression that God would use natural laws to govern those miracles, and they are miraculous because we do not understa
Emma Brown
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, christian
In this book, Lewis presents a curious blend of simplicity and deeply intellectual thought that requires one's whole attention to fully comprehend his meaning. I preferred taking a long time to sift through the material instead of rushing through, due to the heady concepts portrayed.

Oftentimes, I forgot that he was specifically addressing the plausibility of miracles, so I cannot say for certain how well he defends their possibility in this book; I was more caught up in the gems of insight that
Doug
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Already one of my favorites of C.S Lewis' books. The arguments for the existence of the supernatural (and hence, God) are much more thoroughly expounded in this volume than in the classic "Mere Christianity." As with his other books that I've read, there is much in this one that is simply beyond me. I try to follow the reasoning and get lost somewhere along the way. Or sometimes I just have no idea what he's talking about. But in the parts I can understand and grasp, I discover many priceless tr ...more
Lisa
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I am not even going to try to sound like this book made complete sense to me. I felt like I needed a PhD in philosophy and religious studies to wade through all of the arguments and off-chutes of arguments that C.S. Lewis makes in the case of miracles. However, in my slow and read out loud methods of trying to understand his arguments and presentations, I made my own mental diagrams and connect-the-dots to help me understand his philosophical deductions regarding the necessity of belief in mirac ...more
DD
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very difficult read for me but I'm glad that I was able to read it.
Kendall Davis
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this. I was surprised at how much he addressed broader issues about how our reason can work at all, defining natural vs. supernatural, understanding the human mind, etc. But I think a lot of this was necessary for his argument. The final third of the book is definitely the best part. Some of the abstract philosophical discussion at the beginning is quite difficult to get through. All in all, a good critique of naturalism and naturalist assumptions.
Peter Rapp
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The subtitle of this book, "How God Intervenes in Human Affairs" is a more precise description of what this book is actually about. Lewis does a wonderful job sorting out the interface between "Nature" and "Supernature", and I found myself continually surprised, refreshed and excited by his framing of the various issues. He is scientifically very sensitive as well. Great book, a must read for believing scientists.
Esther
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, read-2020
Superb. Lewis is able somehow to give me story grip with even his non-fiction works. This is a really helpful work both in the areas of philosophy and piety. The end of the book had me in laughter just by the sheer joy of it all.
Benjamin Goff
Reading Lewis is like watching a chess player.
MC
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most mocked aspects of the Christian faith is the existence of miracles. In fact, the very heart of the Christian faith is based on a miracle. How can one believe in Christianity unless one believes in miracles, or at least is willing to allow for their existence? The simple answer, according to C. S. Lewis, is that they can't. In his book, Miracles, Lewis defended the logic of believing in such supernatural events.

In a fashion that those who have read his other Apologetics works wil
Jeremy
Dec 15, 2015 marked it as to-read
The book includes the topic of miracles, but it's more of an argument from reason. The early edition of Miracles was criticized by Elizabeth Anscombe, a philosopher who debated Lewis in the only public debate that Lewis ever lost. A revised edition of this book, according to this article (cf. here), addresses Anscombe's concern, but essentially uses it to reinforce Lewis's original opinion. Chapter 3 was the revised chapter.

See Jacobs's The Narnian for a challenge to the common way of talking ab
MM
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity
I loved the first few chapters of this book. His whole philosophy on logic's place in naturalism was pretty darn brilliant. In fact, if he had just left it at the first four or so chapters, it would've been great. It wasn't until he got into Christian miracles that I started getting bored.

The problem is that he starting waxing lyrical. It became less about the truth and more about what sounded beautiful. Personally, I don't enjoy the concept of a suffering God, but it clearly mesmerised him. His
Amy
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5, rounded up because it is Lewis
Brilliant. Beyond me. Some of his arguments felt over my head, yet it didn't take long for me to pick up his train of thought. Perhaps the greatest part of Lewis's genius is his ability to make the complex understandable. Miracles looks broadly at worldviews and is as much an argument for Christianity as for the existence of miracles. In fact, that is probably inescapable, as so much of Christianity depends on the miraculous.
A very profound book that is fun b
Morgan Djuna Sorais Harrigan
I really enjoyed Lewis' logical arguments. He is such a brilliant writer. Cosmo and I were laughing and I even teared up at one point, so it was a great read.
“It is a profound mistake to imagine that Christianity ever intended to dissipate the bewilderment and even the terror, the sense of our own nothingness, which come upon us when we think about the nature of things. It comes to intensify them. Without such sensations there is no religion. Many a man, brought up in the glib profession of som
http://www.supplementsoffer.com/miracle-bust 1 2 Jul 25, 2017 10:43PM
Course In Miracles 1 3 Apr 22, 2017 03:24AM
Black Coffee: January BB: Miracles 43 27 Feb 16, 2015 05:56PM
The Filipino Group: This topic has been closed to new comments. Miracles by C.S. Lewis (with K.D., Louize, Dante and Cary) Start: June 25 88 63 Jul 18, 2012 07:28AM

• The Everlasting Man
  • Knowing God
  • Confessions
  • Jack's Life: The Life Story Of C.S. Lewis
  • Orthodoxy
  • The Day the Revolution Began: Reconsidering the Meaning of Jesus's Crucifixion

Clive Staples Lewis was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge