Start by marking “The Screenwriter's Problem Solver: How to Recognize, Identify, and Define Screenwriting Problems” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  261 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
All writing is rewriting. But what do you change, and how do you change it? All screenplays have problems. They happened to Die Hard: With a Vengeance and Broken Arrow-and didn't get fixed, leaving the films flawed. They nearly shelved Platoon-until Oliver Stone rewrote the first ten pages and created a classic. They happen to every screenwriter. But good writers see their ...more
Published February 17th 1998 by Delta

To ask other readers questions about The Screenwriter's Problem Solver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Screenwriter's Problem Solver

Suzie Quint
Feb 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Though the focus of The Screenwriter’s Problem Solver by Syd Field is to find and fix problems in scripts, much of it can be adapted for novels. It’s also geared toward the story as a whole. That doesn’t mean you can’t make use of this if you’re currently on chapter 3 of your WIP--problems are best fixed as quickly as possible after all—but sometimes you can’t see the problem until the first draft is finished.

Because this book is written for screenwriters (and you’re reminded of that on virtuall
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-books
For the first time in my life I was introduced to the Re-Write. Probably the most scorned and hated part of writing (by most authors, and all together feared by myself), until I realized it was part of the process of writing. A valuable lesson for me. This book is like having a Screenwriting Coach and Editor wrapped up in one. It offers excellent advice, amazing step-by-step instructions that help you ferret out your problem areas while providing you ways to write a tighter screenplay. I think i ...more
Georgie Penn
This book was rather helpful, however, I think it could have been half its size. He had several good points that he just kept repeating either using a different example, or changing the wording around a bit. The result? I thought several times of not finishing the book, and when I finally did, I was rather bored with it.
J.D.
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: screenwriting
I've written all over this book and refuse to lend it out to anybody, so that definitely qualifies it as a very useful book in my eyes. I would highly recommend this book for the rewrite stage - and even sooner. I've learned that if I breeze through the highlights before I write, I tend to avoid some of the mistakes before I even make them.
Mike
Nov 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Took a long time to finish reading this - it has a lot of really good information, and yet the author's constant belaboring of previous points/lessons makes for a very tedious read at points. I finished faster when I started to skip & skim when I saw the material re-treading itself. Upshot is you can resume reading after a year or more and not be lost.
Bathsheva Gladstone
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Syd Field is the man!
Juan Espinoza
Mar 01, 2010 rated it liked it
El perfecto apéndice del primer libro (The Screenplay), pero algo reiterativo. En momentos de dudas es mejor recurrir al otro libro. Sin embargo los ejemplos de este están mejor explicados.
Christopher Ryan
Jul 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Offers good insight into craft.
Mukesh
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
My first book on writing. Loads of tips. I wished, i had seen all the movies mentioned in the book.

cheers,
Mukesh
jahanara
Oct 20, 2016
  • How to Write a Movie in 21 Days
  • Lew Hunter's Screenwriting 434
  • The Hollywood Standard: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to Script Format and Style (Hollywood Standard: The Complete & Authoritative Guide to)
  • Writing Screenplays That Sell: The Complete, Step-By-Step Guide for Writing and Selling to the Movies and TV, from Story Concept to Development Deal
  • The Screenwriter's Bible: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting, and Selling Your Script
  • Your Screenplay Sucks!: 100 Ways to Make It Great
  • Making a Good Script Great
  • Film Directing: Cinematic Motion
  • Psychology for Screenwriters
  • The 101 Habits Of Highly Successful Screenwriters: Insider's Secrets from Hollywood's Top Writers
  • Emotional Structure: Creating the Story Beneath the Plot: A Guide for Screenwriters
  • The Complete Book of Scriptwriting
  • My Story Can Beat Up Your Story: Ten Ways to Toughen Up Your Screenplay from Opening Hook to Knockout Punch
  • Essentials of Screenwriting: The Art, Craft, and Business of Film and Television Writing
  • How Not to Write a Screenplay: 101 Common Mistakes Most Screenwriters Make
  • Setting Up Your Shots: Great Camera Moves Every Filmmaker Should Know
  • The Tools of Screenwriting: A Writer's Guide to the Craft and Elements of a Screenplay
  • Save the Cat! Strikes Back: More Trouble for Screenwriters to Get Into... and Out of
Sydney Alvin Field was an American screenwriting guru who wrote several books on the subject of screenwriting. He also conducted workshops and seminars on the subject of producing salable screenplays. Hollywood film producers have increasingly used his ideas on structure as a guideline to a proposed screenplay's potential.
More about Syd Field...