Start by marking “Leaf” as Want to Read:
Leaf

Leaf

‘Leaf’ is the first collection of poetry published by Joanne Van Leerdam. Often metaphorical and always unashamedly honest, these poems are expressions of her own experiences and observations about life and human nature.
Published May 18th 2016 by Xlibris AU

To ask other readers questions about Leaf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaf

Gina Briganti
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Leaf" is like a box of fine chocolates; you want to savor each one but end up gorging on them. At least that's what happened to me!
Van Leerdam is a credit to the poetry and prose genre. Her book is expertly edited and paced. Highlights were "Lies and Manipulations" which told a compelling story; "Passing," a poignant portrait of a son and husband saying goodbye to the woman they love; and this romance author's heart was warmed by "The Lovers".
Looking forward to the next release!
J. Schlenker
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each word to be savored. One of my favorites was "Weapons of Mass Destruction," an unexpected segment of the book. It was the raw truth of the words. But each selection was an inspiration to me as a writer. I look forward to reading more of this author.
S.K. Wee
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful through and through. Many touched deep, my absolute favorite from 'To Tame The Tongue'
The mouth is used to love and kiss
To sing and praise, smile, admire;
Yet tongue and lips will still conspire
To injure, murder, hate and curse.

This being just one small taste of a full buffet. Loved it all.
Lou
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Leaf' is a gorgeous collection of poetry; words are strung together so eloquently, in a way that touches the soul.
From the moment this book was in my hands, I couldn't stop flipping through the pages, engrossed in the honesty and truth of it all.
Joanne has made me fall in love with poetry, all over again.
I found that the poems were enriched with emotions we all have, but so few of us express.
'Leaf' has already changed my perspective on the challenges of life, and I felt a sense of inner pea
Aliya DalRae
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
True confession: I’m not much into poetry. I’m probably not the first reviewer to admit this, and I’m certain I won’t be the last. That being said, I found the verses in Leaf to be heart-touching and compelling.

Van Leerdam has taken tiny bits of her soul and used them to paint words of such intensity that even the hardest of hearts can’t help but be moved. Her poetry is real and now, and it speaks to everyone on one level or another.

So even if you don’t think poetry is “your thing”, maybe give L
Eva Pasco
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Collection of Poetic Vignettes

Not the most ardent fan of poetry because I crave compelling characters wending their way through convoluted plots within the confines of a novel, Joanne Van Leerdam’s diverse poetry anthology, LEAF, diverted my way of thinking. Just as every leaf on a tree collectively embodies the main organs of photosynthesis and transpiration, every poem in LEAF embodies an emotionally-laden vignette played out in life as attested by words spewing raw honesty and realism.

Ms.
R.M. Gauthier
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Leaf by Joanne Van LeerdamLeaf by Joanne Van Leerdam

The cover of this novel stood out to me, a simple colorful leaf among black and white pebbles, I think, is befitting this book of poetry.

Now, I'm no poetry expert, but I must say that, Joanne Van Leerdam, really has a way with words. This book is well organized, nicely put together and the poems are spectacular.

I normally don't read a lot of poetry, but I'm sure glad I gave this book a chance. It was a refreshing change of pace from the novels of epic story lines, an
Lyra Shanti
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This well-written poetry collection is filled with love, loss, betrayal, sadness, and ultimately, rebirth. My favorite poems included are The Artist, Observations of a Traveling Pluviophile, Misery, Pharisee, and Old. Best line from Pluviophile: "There are no rainbows without rain." Love that.

Many gems can be found in this lovely collection. I recommend it for anyone who likes melancholy, deep, thought-provoking poetry.
Nicole Gale
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book artfully expresses aloud, the things that others tend to think in secret and leave unuttered. Joanne's rawly honest, witty and courageous writing, gives voice to our forbidden thoughts. It has the profound impact of reaching out to its readers with a the powerful message that they are not alone. They are travellers on a well trodden path, amid the company of a chorus of survivors who are now wiser than they once were and who can echo the encouragement "You're going to be ok".
Joanne van der Schoor
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of poetry l had read in years. I loved it. I savoured some, as l read them out loud to myself.
Sarah Northwood
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beneath this beautiful cover is a unique and deeply emotive collection of poems, with something for everyone. The pieces avoid clichéd lines and sweep together, beautifully expressed.
Dr.
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ahar
This was good exposure to a different type of poetry book for me. I had a chance to examine why we go through the various types of emotions. We are not always happy people and this book brought that to light. I know that it is the type of book that each time I pick it up I might experience a different range or level of emotion. The book was well written and formatted. This might be a good book to help people process different types of hurt that they are experiencing.
Laura Kehoe
This was such a beautiful and heartfelt collection of poems. I truly enjoyed reading them.
Fiona  Cooke Hogan
With this collection, the poet offers us a glimpse inside her thoughts. At times intimate and raw, Leaf has a dreamlike quality that resonates with the reader covering themes of love, loneliness, disappointment and despair.
In 1.37 -" But sadness whispers its cruelest lies, when I'm alone in the dark for too long".
The Tree - " The tree is drawn in fine grey pencil, the noose is drawn in black, An empty chair sits underneath the, knotted rope that's hanging slack". Van Leerdam's poetry is beautif
Joanne
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
These poems offer thought-provoking perspectives on a variety of feelings or moments in time. There are contrasts between simple contemplation and thoughtful exploration of ideas, and between gentle expression and more sophisticated rhythms and images.

I think everyone should buy a copy of this book.
But I would think that... I wrote it!
Geeti Priya
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Some commonly felt emotions uncommonly expressed with a delightfully deft but light touch by a Pluviophile so that you will see both ends of a bright rainbow and also feel pain. I highly recommend this little gem as like all good poetry it whispers back to you after you have finished reading it.
Robert Stanhope
Yasmine
Jan 03, 2017
Chloe
Jan 15, 2017
  • Forest of Ancestors (The Guardians #1)
  • The Rainbow Serpent
  • Gods of Egypt
  • The Path of the Child
  • Annabelle Thong
  • Where Nothing Ill Can Dwell (The Bard Nebula Book #1)
  • Devour (Olivia Wolfe #1)
  • The Missing Butler and Other Life Mysteries
  • The Sheikh's Convenient Princess (Romantic Getaways #4)
  • The Celtic Curse: Banshee
  • Twice Born
  • The Keeper of Portals
  • Manifested
  • Forgotten (Josh Haman #4)
  • Sweet Vengeance (Jessica Sweet Trilogy, #1)
  • It Starts Like This: a collection of poetry
  • Hush
  • See You Then
Joanne Van Leerdam is a poet and author of short stories. Her body of work consists of aix poetry collections, one general short story collection, a play, four collections of horror short stories, and a contribution to several anthologies.

When she's not writing, Joanne is a teacher of English, History and Drama/Production. She is an active member and performer in her local theatre company.
Her ho