Start by marking “Transparency: How Leaders Create a Culture of Candor” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  148 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
In Transparency, the authors-a powerhouse trio in the field of leadership-look at what conspires against "a culture of candor" in organizations to create disastrous results, and suggest ways that leaders can achieve healthy and honest openness. They explore the lightning-rod concept of "transparency"-which has fast become the buzzword not only in business and corporate set ...more
Published May 1st 2008 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Transparency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transparency

Eugene Lee
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book - I highly recommend this to anyone in a leadership position trying to leverage transparency into their leadership style and create a culture of candor, or for anyone trying to influence their leadership to do the same.
Jillian
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
A great book that emphasizes why honesty is the best policy. My husband is a corporate engineering consultant who has to constantly give bad news, but due to his integrity, he is always respected for it. This book reconfirmed some truths about business that I've learned from him, and also gives whistleblowers the green light.
Johnny
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
The concepts are great in this book. Unfortunately all the digital examples (mostly around blogging) are so out of date given the rate of technological change, combined with political examples (also fast changing across the world and in the US), make the reading very difficult.

The book is segmented into 3 long essays. I recommend the middle one and skipping the others.
Jim
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
The idea of transparency might be more than one expects. Bennis, Goleman and O'Toole provide what in means to operate with candor and transparency in today's ever connected world.
Robert
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Warren Bennis, Daniel Goleman, and James O'Toole
Jossey-Bass

The co-authors are three of the most influential business thinkers in recent years and, with Patricia Ward Biederman, collaborated on this book that consists of three separate but related essays: "Creating a Culture of Candor" (Bennis, Goleman, and Biederman examine transparency within and in relationships between organizations), "Speaking Truth to Power" (O'Toole shares his perspective
Ian Smith
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Perhaps I came to this brief and eminently readable series of essays with exceedingly high expectations. Or perhaps I have been through many of the arguments already. For whatever reason, I was disappointed. Not in the quality of the writing, or the strength of the arguments, both of which are superb. But for two reasons. First, because this book will so quickly date, more of which in a moment. And second, and perhaps most importantly, because transparency is a moral and ethical imperative, a pr ...more
E
Feb 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Insightful collection of essays about business transparency

At 144 pages, you could finish this slim volume in an evening. Its three, smoothly written essays combine to make an engaging book. Authors Warren Bennis, Daniel Goleman and James O’Toole, writing with Patricia Ward Biederman, blend references to well-known events with useful new accounts of transparency and opacity, and their outcomes. The writers focus primarily on concept and character, but they also offer specific suggestions for act
Nick
Nov 30, 2008 rated it liked it
It took Warren Bennis, Daniel Goleman, James O'Toole, and Patricia Ward Biederman to write this slim volume on the purpose and perils of transparency in organizations. At 121 pages, it's a little book, really three articles put together, with a couple of time-tested insights. The blogging world and other Internet technology has made it easier than ever to force transparency on unwilling organizations -- even mainland China. The problems of whistleblowers have been around since Aristotle, who had ...more
Dianna
Apr 13, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: tall-texans
I listed to this on audio, and I just kept waiting for the meat of the book to start. When the closing credits came I was baffled, thinking "Wait, what the heck was this book about?".

The subtitle is very misleading. It should be "Transparency: Learn to deal with the culture of candor", because there are no tips in this book -- just endless examples of the inevitibility of transparency in this age, and a few good (and many bad) examples of transparency and candor at work.

I may have to get the tex
Danesh
Dec 14, 2009 rated it liked it
an important word, like diversity, that, at most times, is superficially understood and implemented. the book highlights good examples of good and bad transparency, the importance of it, and some steps to achieve it. organizational psychology majors might like this book. other than the case examples, it's nothing too exciting. it's a short read that could provide a new perspective or some decent party-conversation topics.
Donna
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent short book (120 pages) about the necessity of transparency in today's world.

Transparency is almost forced on us today with the digital age - camera phones everywhere, the blogosphere, email. The most successful companies understand and use transparency as a competitive advantage.

Keys to transparency in leadership today are: followers who are willing to speak honestly , and leaders who are willing to listen to unsettling information.

Highly recommended."
Mark Terry
Dec 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very good! The essays collected here point out that transparency is really no longer optional. With the advent of social media and the blogosphere, leaks of "secrets" are bound to occur. To build trust, leaders have to develop a culture that treats people and situations honestly - welcoming truth from all quarters and encouraging speaking truth to power. More about the need for transparency than how to go about fostering it, but well worth the time. Another winner from Warren Bennis.
Michael
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of 3 essays on transparency is a quick and good read. It's especially pertinent for all those in management who have the opportunity in various ways to create a "transparent" culture. I came away convinced that more candor and transparency in business and government is better, but the leaders must "make it so" in wise and humble ways. I especially enjoyed the middle essay by James O'Toole with his philosophical analysis of transparency.
May
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for both employees and managers. As far as I am concerned, you cannot have accountability within your organization unless you have transparency. Authors hit on a number of key features that I wish all organizations would pay more attention to--gaining and maintaining consumer and staff trust, open 2-way communication, ethical responsibilities, and moral convictions.
Syafiq Basri Assegaff
Aug 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Many issues and problems in this world caused by secrecy. By lies. Transparency clearly describes the powerful imperative for honest communication in this boundless world. A vital new book by reputable experts.
Nicole
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: professional-dev
The professional stories were interesting. However, I did not gain anything new from reading this book. Librarians by profession are very transparent and try to disseminate information as best as we can.
Samantha
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Quite good!
Linda
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Really thorough look at transparency and ethics in organizations. From a business and social perspective.
Janderson
Apr 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Sometimes I just don't understand why people need to write hundreds of pages on topics so obvious...
Terri Griffith
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Terri by: Eugene Lee
I assign Bennis' essay for my MBA courses. Leaders in all organizations should read this book to see the value that can come from great transparency and knowledge in organizations.
Marlena
Mar 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook on iTunes.
Excellent.
Supports what we learn in class.
Bennis and Goleman = like and support view of leadership
A. J.
Nov 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Great subject matter. Altough I agree with the authors, their personal biases/political positions come through a bit too loud.
Heather
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: shelved
A required read for my MBA class. Interesting read in these turbulent economic times. Not finished yet, but since it's "required" I'm sure I will before June 2010.
Matt
Dec 24, 2012
Cindy Dockendorff
Feb 22, 2015
Alex Lyashok
rated it did not like it
May 25, 2014
Summer
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Against the Odds: An Autobiography
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Business Law
  • Lucky or Smart?: Secrets to an Entrepreneurial Life
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • The Five Most Important Questions You Will Ever Ask about Your Organization: An Inspiring Tool for Organizations and the People Who Lead Them
  • Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow
  • Carrots and Sticks Don't Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of RESPECT (Business Skills and Development)
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Shine: Using Brain Science to Get the Best from Your People
  • Out of the Crisis
  • Power Listening: Mastering the Most Critical Business Skill of All
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • The Three Rules: How Exceptional Companies Think
  • Tuesday Morning Coaching ... Eight Simple Truths to Boost Your Career and Your Life
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation
  • The Leadership Challenge Workbook
  • Icons and Idiots: Straight Talk on Leadership
Warren Gamaliel Bennis is an American scholar, organizational consultant and author, widely regarded as a pioneer of the contemporary field of Leadership Studies. Bennis is University Professor and Distinguished Professor of Business Administration and Founding Chairman of The Leadership Institute at the University of Southern California.

“His work at MIT in the 1960s on group behavior foreshadowe
More about Warren G. Bennis...