Start by marking “Between Ghosts” as Want to Read:
Between Ghosts

Between Ghosts

In 2003, journalist Connor Regan marched through London to add his voice to a million others, decrying the imminent invasion of Iraq. Eight months later, his brother, James, was killed in action in Mosul.

Three years on, Connor finds himself bound for Iraq to embed with an elite SAS team. He sets his boots on the ground looking for closure and solace—anything to ease the p
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 210 pages
Published March 12th 2016 by Riptide Publishing

Call Me By Your Name by André AcimanThe Song of Achilles by Madeline MillerMaurice by E.M. ForsterBrokeback Mountain by Annie ProulxThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Best Gay Fiction
1,749 books — 2,442 voters
Hot Head by Damon SuedeCut & Run by Abigail RouxTry by Ella FrankDivide & Conquer by Abigail RouxFish & Chips by Abigail Roux
hottest m/m love scenes
568 books — 239 voters

More lists with this book...

Gigi

Hurt/Healing/Comfort between military men? SIGN ME UP!

Connor Regan is a journalist who lost his brother, James, when he was killed in combat during a mission in Mosul, Iraq. Conner's brother was part of an elite and very secretive team in the British Army called SAS, Special Air Reserve. (As a side note, when I searched for images to make my pretty cast collage above, almost all pictures of real SAS members have their faces blurred out.) Because of the secret nature of the mission, Conner never
Sheziss
I love Garrett Leigh and I liked the book. But I wasn’t feeling this.

I read it with pleasure because I love her style and her writing, her characters are interesting and more than they seem at first sight. She’s engaging and that’s why I kept reading. But the love story lacked passion, IMO.

Connor is a journalist, or a hack, as people keep calling him. His brother James died during service three years ago and he still has questions. He knows little to nothing about how James died, but what eats h
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

Military books can be hit or miss for me. Especially if they are too heavy on the military and too light on the romance. And while I think this one was a bit more focused on the military aspect, there was a enough romance to keep me satisfied.

I found the depiction of the military aspect to be very realistic. Or at least what I imagine being on a tour would be like. Needless to say, this wasn't a "sweet" romance. It was intense, it was gritty, it was at times bloody.

After the death of
Simone
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"You all must have been through so much before you even came here. It's scary, really."
"Don't let our ghosts scare you. Most of them aren't worth it."
"Every ghost means something, Nat."

Somehow I always have a bit of a guilty conscience when I love a story that deals with the cruelties of war. With the senselessness and intractability. With hopelessness and exhaustion. With loss and grief. Especially if the war is real, like in this story.

Of course, the love story between Nat and
Alisa
I freely admit I'm a big fan girl of this author. I like everything's she ever written. But that being said I think this was her best work. This is gorgeous. Unlike some, I have no desire to be a writer. I like reading and I'm happy with that. But every once in awhile I read something so good though that I think "If I could write I would want it to be this book". That's how I felt when I finished this book.

Connor is a journalist who has been an anti-war protester in the past. After his soldier
Cadiva
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Superbly researched, brutal and complex romance

This book is a brutal depiction of the frustrations and realities of war - in this case the 2003 and onwards invasion of Iraq as part of the so called War of Terror.

A mindless conflict which achieved nothing but cost so many British, and other countries, lives both military and civilian, Garrett Leigh places her two MCs firmly in the centre of Special Forces operations three years later in 2006, as SAS patrol CO Nat and journalist Connor meet in the
Adam
My ratings for Garrett Leigh are all over the place - I've given her 5 stars, 4, 3, and also just 2. I rate based on my enjoyment of the plot and romance, but what always remains consistent is this author's writing. 'Between Ghosts' is poignant and emotional. I could very clearly feel the regrets and sadness that Connor and Nat lived with. I could also easily immerse myself in the dangerous environment of Basra, Iraq.

The relationship development was well paced. Connor and Nat go from strangers,
Jewel
I'm beginning to think that Garrett Leigh can do little wrong. I love military stories. Especially when we get to see the vulnerability of the soldiers. While Connor was with Charlie-3, we see them through his eyes and they felt so real. The laughter, the gruffness, and just how they all carried themselves. These men are dedicated. And they're also human.

Connor Regan is a journalist who used to do fairly fluffy pieces about current entertainment. But after his brother James is killed in action,
Vanessa North
This was an absolutely gripping military romance between an embedded journalist and the CO of the squad with which he's embedded.

There's a sense of grim fatalism, of taking comfort and passion in a moment because it could be gone tomorrow. It's raw and ruthless, and it made me cry more than once.

I want to give a shout out to Leigh's handling of Nat's bisexuality.It was treated as a matter-of-fact aspect of his character, mentioned a few times in passing. There was no casual misogyny, no dismissi
Ele
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
It was ok but there was a lot of military stuff for me. And I'm not sure I buy the coincidence. But still a decent read because Garrett Leigh.
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
Between Ghosts is a thought-out, well-rounded military read with a side of sexy. Connor Regan, brother to the deceased soldier James, has decided to rearrange his life. No longer a kid with certain ideals, he is now a reporter working within an elite team in the military to get the real story of war.

Nat Thompson has lost one of his best friends to the day-to-day grind that is war. He has no time or inclination to deal with bureaucracy and risk any more of his team to drag an untrained civilian a
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
War romance, so sad yet so good.
Lelyana

*** 5 stars! ***

OMG ! I was so happy when I've got this book, it's Garrett frickin' Leigh !
But then I realised this is a war story. In Iraq. Dammit !
I have a hate - love - hate - relationship about this one.
I lost my loved one in the same country .
That's why I felt giddy and chicken out before I started this. But like almost all of you guys, I'm a masochist, and I read.

Yeah, fuckin' awesome. I read and I was right 'there' with Connor and Nat.
I hate that they're lost someone they loved. I hate
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
3.5 Stars

This is my portion of a co-review (Gay Guy / St8 Girl). On the blog OJ and I go into a more in-depth discussion with a back and forth Q & A session. Click the link below to see the whole review and more.

INITIAL THOUGHTS

I enjoyed the read, but it lacked the teeth I had expected. I was surprised to find this so…romantic. I know, I know, this is male-male romance, but the setting led me to believe there would be more impact, more grit. To be fair there are a few action scenes, but i
Giedre
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A really interesting idea, but a mediocre execution at best: the pacing was off, characterisation was flimsy, the plot was both disappointing and predictable, and the romance wasn't much better either.
Karen
This one wasn't easy but it was worth it...

'Between Ghosts' makes the fourth book that I've ever read which was set during a war. Two of those books were written by Greg Iles and anyone who knows me, knows he could write a recipe book and I'd read it cover to cover, the third book was by Amy Lane and it was set during WWII as were the Greg Iles books so this book is even more unique in that it's set in modern times and that's something I really would rather avoid in my stories because the fac
Diana
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arc
Connor Regan is a journalist embedded with an elite SAS team, Charlie 3. He is still mourning the death of his brother, James, who was also in the SAS. Connor needs to know the “why” he died, not so much the how. He has trained for years getting ready for his assignment. Physically he is ready. Mentally might be a real problem, especially when he meets the person in command of Charlie 3.

Sergeant Nathan “Nat” Thompson has been hardened by war. Over the years he has seen death and destruction. He
Alona
4.5 stars.
I truly loved this story!
I love this author's books, some more then others, this one was definitely one of the ones I love more.

I must say that the two MC's relationship was sort of instant and felt like it comes from nowhere. I would have loved to see it build and transform more deeply, to have more "foundations".
But, as soon as I overcame this little bump, I felt a true connection between the characters and I was rooting for them.
I loved how they cared for one another and wanted them
JR
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love great stories
Journalist Conner Regan wants answers about the death of his older brother James in Iraq. He devises a plan to travel with some troops, providing an insight to the war, but perhaps he will also get an answer about his brother.

Nathan "Nat" Thompson has been fighting in Iraq for several years now. He commands a group of harden, weary men. What he doesn't need is a civilian that will bollocks their missions, but the higher ups think it will be good PR.

This book is now at the top of my list for 2
Ariana
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ariana by: Christelle
Shelves: lgbtq
Garret Leigh simply has a way with words.

It hits you straight there - where it matters most. I am not necessarily into military books, but this one really got to me. Although probably nowhere near the real horrors that soldiers have to endure (not sure if the average punter could cope with that), it brought home what these men do in the most harrowing circumstances day-in and day-out, what they sacrifice and what they lose by just doing their job.

One thing's for sure - they change, just like Nat
Tess
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was intense and engaging. I don't read too many military stories, but most of the ones that I read tend to take place back home afterwards. Between Ghosts is different in that almost all of the story occurs in the war zone in Iraq in 2006. Connor is an imbedded journalist trying to make sense of his brother's death three years before. He's assigned to Nat's unit. Nat has been hardened by years of war and haunted by memories of the friends he's lost. There's an attraction simmering
Karen Wellsbury
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was quite apprehensive starting this, as I don't relate well to war stories, but it was a glorious book. The balance between melancholy and hope, past and future is done so delicately, and the relationship between Connor and Nat- was beautiful , as was every single relationship in the book. There wasn't any dialogue or human circumstance that didn't ring true. So while the situations may have been alien, the reactions weren't.

One of the best books I've read this year
Rachel
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't find the right words to express how much I loved this book, my heart is equally broken and bursting with different emotions and I'm sobbing as I'm writing this. Hmmm think I'll come back and write something else when I'm a little more coherent <3
Natasha
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

Really great! Solid writing, clean dialogue. Not too long, and no elements that I felt were filler.
Lovely ending.

Enjoyed this a lot.
Aerin
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
It's been a long time since I've read any military MM books, especially ones that are set in a war zone. I knew this wasn't going to be a traditional romance because that wouldn't be very believable given the circumstances. But I love Garrett Leigh and so I HAD to read this! I'm so happy I did, because this was a very lovely book, realistic, and a definite eye-opener when it comes to our troops and their experiences while deployed.

Connor is a journalist who lost his brother, James, 3 years prior
Ula'ndi Hart
Overall book review: 4.5
Audio book: N/A
Book Cover: 3.8

I really have a thing for Garrett Leigh’s books. She is one of those authors that I’ll go wondering around too see what she’s up to sometimes.

I really really enjoyed this book, as I’ve got a thing for soldiers. So it ticked my boxes in lots of ways. I loved the idea behind the whole thing and the feel of it all. I found it to be realistic in that way. It was very much involved with the war side of the story and even though there was little
Angie Elle
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to RIPTIDE PUBLISHING and Netgalley for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I really went back and forth on how to rate this book, as I didn’t feel the romance here was as solid as it was in my favorite Garrett Leigh book, Misfits. However, when I went to make sure I had the genre posted correctly and saw that this wasn’t even marketed as romance, it made it a whole lot easier. This book was a strong four stars for me. Though to be honest, I’m not sure Myster
Christy
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars ~ There are many things that attracted me to this story, mainly the fact that it takes place during the first few years of our war in Iraq. Since the United States had quite a bit to do with why we were in that debacle to begin with, I wanted to see it from the viewpoint of a British author. Plus the blurb caught the romantic in me and I needed to see Connor and Nat play out.

Connor has spent the past three years, ever since his brother's death in Mosul, training and negotiating to be a
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, bgirls, mm

Review by The Blogger Girls.

Connor is a journalist who goes on assignment with a team deployed in Iraq in search of clues about his brother’s death. While there, he is assigned to a team led by Nat, who is still reeling over the loss of his best friend, who also happened to be Connor’s brother, though the two don’t make the connection until much later in the story.

Connor and Nat have an immediate attraction and quickly become friends. Connor revives feelings in Nat he thought he had lost forever
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥

I love Garrett Leigh and her writing style. I’m no stranger to her books. I think she writes with so much passion and emotions that it’s easily conveyed across the pages. I liked this story, but it lacked so much that I’ve come to enjoy from this author. The love and romance wasn’t there. Listen we are dealing with two people that are dealing with their ghost. I think I liked each character separately but in this setting I never connected with them. For the military aspect to be such a
  • Unhinge the Universe
  • Tempest (Playing the Fool, #3)
  • Until September
  • Trailer Trash
  • Love is a Stranger (More Heat Than the Sun, #1)
  • Running Wild (Havoc, #1)
  • Selfie (Bluewater Bay, #13)
  • Patchwork Paradise
  • Latakia
  • If The Seas Catch Fire
  • Basic Training
  • Blueberry Boys
  • The Other Side of Winter (Santuario, #2)
  • Fast Connection (Cyberlove, #2)
She/Her

Bonus Material available for all books on Garrett's Patreon account. Includes short stories from Misfits, Slide, Strays, What Remains, Dream, and much more. Sign up here: https://www.patreon.com/garrettleigh

Facebook Fan Group, Garrett's Den... https://www.facebook.com/groups/garre...

Garrett Leigh is an award-winning British writer, cover artist, and book designer. Her debut novel, Slide, wo
“Anyone can break you physically. Mentally, it’s up to you. You are as strong as you let yourself be.” 1 likes
“The noise of the air base became a dull roar, and he fell asleep dreaming of James—his laugh, his smile, and the pine box he’d come home in.” 0 likes