Start by marking “A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates” as Want to Read:
A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates

A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates

A product of Rand's work in computing, as well a testament to the patience and persistence of researchers in the early days of Rand.
Published October 23rd 2001 by RAND Corporation

Start your review of A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates
David
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cryptography
Just like the title says, this book contains one million random digits. It was anything but predictable. In fact, I didn't know how it was going to end until the last page.
Will
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A classic. I especially liked 31415.
Dan Kauppi
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Some books are the toast of the town - praises sung to the heavens by the literati elite - yet fail to satisfy.

In contrast, this one delivers - big time. It's not without reason that the Rand Corporation named this little baby A Million Random Digits (feat. 100,000 Normal Deviates).

WARNING - SPOILER!

Here's a taste of page 117:

"05800 23930 04508 62244 35048 50242 67999 31536 25407 71989 45433"

If you want more (and surely you do!) go get yourself a copy - wherever Rand Corporation publications are
Pteresa Zoe
Jun 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Luke
Jun 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
This is a book of 1 million random digits. Seriously. That's all.
Joe
Mar 09, 2007 is currently reading it
It's gotten off to a rollicking start, but I don't know if they're going to be able to sustain the energy....
Dave Harlow
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A gripping story, well developed characters and some very quotable writing. I particularly like 3976897 and his friend 976887. Surprisingly repetitive at times, however - there are only 9 or so distinct themes in the entire book. The authors skill lies in his ability to combine them.
Tim Clouse
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: policy-analysis
It is what it is. I use it for illustrating what a probability ot 1/1,000,000 actually looks like.
Huyen Chip
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm blown away by how much creativity is in this book. Not one moment I was bored because I never knew what was going to happen next.
Donkeyballs
May 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs access to more than 900,000 but fewer than 1.1 million random numbers.
This book is a list of random numbers.

They are not truly random, though. But it was as close as they could get at the time.

It can be quite contemplative. In a weird way.
Jacob Adams
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A unique book and a unique plot. Parts of the book remind me slightly of the movie "And then there were none". except the plot is much more complex and intricate. You truly cannot tell how many there will be at any point in time.

Here is a tip if you want new take on an old classic. When you get to the 5848394382..... part rotate the book upside down and read the pages in sequence but upside down. That way the overall plot is the same, and there are the same original 9 characters but you get an
Jeffrey Gao
Nov 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is just random numbers jumbled together! How could this piece of wood wasting garbage POSSIBLY get a 4.37 rating?! There's no rhyme, no reasoning, no intrigue, NOTHING about this filth that deserves such praise!
And don't counter by saying "you didn't get it" or "you're missing the point." I DID get it and the phrase "you're missing the point" is absolutely condescending and intolerant. It would be more literally phrased as "your opinion stinks because I don't agree with it." There.
Eliaspallanzani
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Certamente la pi
Adolfo
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
very interesting...
Stacy
Sep 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Nominally useful though I prefer a generator to give me a more specific range.
Michael
Micah Gafford
Jun 06, 2010
Chau
Apr 02, 2019

• A Mathematician's Lament: How School Cheats Us Out of Our Most Fascinating and Imaginative Art Form
  • Category Theory
  • Zen and the Art of Mixing
  • Shiva: The Wild God of Power and Ecstasy
  • Beneath the Wheel
  • Understanding the I Ching: The Wilhelm Lectures on the Book of Changes
  • En Islam Iranien (Tome I)
  • Bütün Şiirleri