Start by marking “Two Badges: The Lives of Mona Ruiz” as Want to Read:
Two Badges: The Lives of Mona Ruiz

Two Badges: The Lives of Mona Ruiz

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  121 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
autobiography of gang member turned policewoman
Published September 1st 1997 by Arte Publico Press (first published January 1st 1997)

7BettyV
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
the book i just finished reading was "Two Badges" and i really did like this book it tells most of my life on lines. Im not one to say how i feel or explain what im feeling but here Dona made it seem as if i was her. She had a crazy life that went by so fast and with me my story starts off the same . As a youngster i grew up fighting for respect & to defend my family . Soon i come to see my family brakes over things me and my sister decide to do . Living in California can make you and brake ...more
529_Quincy Owens
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Two Badges by Mona Ruiz explores the dichotomy between the world of a gang member and police officer through first person. There is an abundant use of tone words of varying difficulty utilized as Mona relates her story. The simplicity of talking about being a gang member of a police officer is completely obliterated as she talks about being a part of both worlds at the same time. Fighting for legitimacy and respect from fellow gang members at parties only to put on a police uniform the next day ...more
Michelle Chavez
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The story Two Badges is based on a true tragic story. Ramond Sandoval, who is Romonas father, was raised in Santa Ana where all the gansters would always cause trouble. Ramond was the second child in his family. When he had his second kid he named her Ramona Sandoval, just like him. He gave her his name because he thought she'd be the most responsible one in the family just like he was. When Ramona would spend time with her father, her father always taught her how to always stay away from the g ...more
Ju
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookclub
Very well written. A true story that reads like a novel. Takes place in the 1980s but still valid today.
Naomig
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What attracted me to this book was basically what it said in the cover “The Lives of Mona Ruiz”. That surprised me because I assumed it was a story about an ordinary undercover cop, but it wasn’t just that. Also the book was recommended to me by one of my teachers.
Mona Ruiz grew up in the city of Santa Ana, California in the 1970s and 1980s. Mona grew up around gangs and violence. Her father always told her to stay of the gang life, but around Santa Ana it was nearly impossible. Ruiz spent mos
Ingrid Chavez
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to read drama and suspense
Shelves: 2011-2012
This is a Non-fiction book, I really enjoyed reading it. This book can reflect on todays world how many young girls are struggling in life and it also you can learn from the authors mistakes. Well this book is basically about a girl named Mona Ruiz, she grew up in the city of Santa Ana in the 1980s. Mona grew up in a poor neighborhood where you see violence and gangs. As a young child she was in a gang and her father told her to get out of it and had taught her to do good in life and become a po ...more
Christine
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Ruiz does an excellent job of not skirting the dirty details of life in a gang and the struggles to leave her gang "family" behind. Shunning the requisite happy ending readers expect, Ruiz reminds us that life is fluid and that life experiences - good and bad - shape who we have become only at this moment. "Two Badges" is perfectly set up to invite a sequel to Mona's inaugural novel.
Andrea
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am reading this novel with my high school students. While we have not finished it yet, the students (including me) are really enjoying this novel. I find it is something that my students can relate to and feel connected to in ways that inspire and make them want to be something better than they are.
Sandra Alvarez
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was too close to home literally. I teared up on many of her family problems because I could relate so much to them. it was so inspiring to read about Mona's triumphs although I didn't understand her decision to be with Frank from the get go. overall loved it so much!
Anna Mojica
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is difficult to put down. Ruiz gives an honest memoir from a gang member to a cop. You will live through her struggles and failures. She is an inspiration because she NEVER gives up on her dreams. She is determined and strong. It is a must read.
Mary Maclean
Apr 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I think the plot was very believable and very inspiring. This was a intersting book and I enjoyed it even thoug it was a homework assignment I would read it again.
Chapo 101
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
i read this book recently and i thought it was very good.i thought it was good because there was a lot of action. my favorite part was when they jumped people.
Melissa
Jan 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
The author used to attend the school I teach at, became a gang member, and then became a cop. A riveting read. I can see why my students like it so much.
Laurie
Nov 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
This was a choice for Woodland Reads. Mona Ruiz came to Woodland in October 2013. A fascinating life.
Joe
Feb 24, 2015
Nov 17, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Woodcuts of Women
  • Rethinking Columbus: The Next 500 Years: Resources for Teaching about the Impact of the Arrival of Columbus in the Americas
  • Black Mesa Poems
  • Zoot Suit and Other Plays
  • Red Hot Salsa: Bilingual Poems on Being Young and Latino in the United States
  • Loverboys
  • Nobody's Son: Notes from an American Life
  • Drink Cultura: Chicanismo
  • Critical Race Theory: An Introduction
  • The Manufactured Crisis: Myths, Fraud, And The Attack On America's Public Schools
  • Occupied America: A History of Chicanos
  • Declarations of Independence: Cross-Examining American Ideology
  • ... y no se lo tragó la tierra ... and the Earth Did Not Devour Him
  • The Circuit: Stories from the Life of a Migrant Child
  • Mexican WhiteBoy
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 18: Locas in Love
  • Family Pictures / Cuadros de Familia
  • The Cointelpro Papers: Documents from the FBI's Secret Wars Against Dissent in the United States