Jump to ratings and reviews
How much suffering can a man withstand before he finally breaks? A question I used to ask myself often. Now I know the answer.

As president of the Fallen Aces MC Fort Worth chapter, I’m looked to for guidance in times of crisis. I’m expected to set personal grievances aside and lead by example. Yet how can I do that when those grievances robbed me of my family, my life? My reason to be at the head of the table?

My father: murdered. My baby sister: killed the same day. And my other sister? A mystery. I’m drowning in my desolation and yet nobody seems to care. Or maybe it’s the fact I won’t let them close enough to help? Either way, my losses are my own, and I’ll deal with them the only way I know how—by punishing myself.

I’ve got it all figured out, at least, I thought I did. Until one woman, a traveller passing by, unravels the master plan. I see it in her eyes, the same distance, the same feeling that she doesn’t belong—that her time here is wasted.

One woman who mirrors me in every way, and suddenly I find a reason to hold off the reaper a little longer. A reason to stay at the head of the table. A reason to show those who’ve hurt me that, although they brought the beast to its knees, I won’t lay down to die without a fight.

ebook

41 books990 followers
Facebook -> http://bit.ly/2F4XrG3
Instagram -> http://bit.ly/2ruERF3
Newsletter -> http://eepurl.com/gchq5z

Born and raised in Canterbury, New Zealand, Max now resides with her family in beautiful and sunny Queensland, Australia.
L
ife with two young children can be hectic at times and, although she may not write as often as she would like, Max wouldn’t change a thing.

An avid lover of stories from a young age, she enjoys nothing more than to get lost in the pages while the characters dictate what direction she takes. Her favourite genre to write is young/new adult and the events in her stories may or may not be related to real life experiences (only she will ever know for sure).
I

n her down time, Max can be found at her local gym brainstorming through a session with the weights. If not, she’s probably out drooling over one of many classic cars on show that she wishes she owned.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
8 (3%)
1 star
3 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 64 reviews
Profile Image for Joelle.
1,279 reviews17 followers
May 16, 2017
What an enjoyable read for us we loved it from cover to cover.I loved the main characters Dagne and Hooch they made a great couple they were just what each other needed.I also have to point out that I loved the other characters as well and all their unique names .

A fast paced read that was filled with emotions,danger,love,healing deceit,loss and sorrow,intrigue and healing.The story had you engrossed from the very first pages.The characters were easy to relate to as well as love.

Favorite character is going to be Hooch as this man was just one great big mess.He had a coke addiction , battle depression, suffered from the pain and loss from the deaths of his sister and father.I choose him because this main was in so much pain you could not help but grieve for him for the misery he was in.My heart broke for him.I also love that he wasn't completely dead inside and was willing to reach out to Dagne for advice and comfort which was a major hurtle for this proud man.I loved his interactions with Dagne he teased was gruff and down right hateful at times he confused her to the point she thought he hated her .This was his way of covering up that he cared to much.I love a character like Hooch who was so broken yet one slip of a gorgeous drifter brings the man back to life by being nothing other than who she is.

An amazing griping heart felt story that we loved.Looking forward to reading the other books in its series to read which we already purchased.

5 stars from us
Profile Image for Donna.
1,225 reviews17 followers
April 13, 2017

Wow! Another awesome story in the series of The Fallen Aces. This book contains everything that it says on the tin. When two opposites collide but they are so right for each other that in the chaos they find a calm.

The chemistry is just something else and the more they have to fight, the stronger they become. I want to say so much more but I refuse to spoil this for anyone. The reader deserves to receive the punches as they are supposed to be delivered.

A Huge recommend from me. Max Henry wrote my book of 2016 and this one isn't far off it.
Profile Image for Le Ann Foster.
739 reviews5 followers
April 6, 2017
♡♡Reviewed for CherryOBlossoms Promotions ♡ ♡

I gave this book 4 stars!

This is book 4 in the Fallen Aces MC Series and can be read a standalone. I haven't read anything from this author and found that I could easily catch up on who was who. I defiantly will be going back and reading the others in this series.

We meet Hooch the president of the MC. Everyone is looking to him for him to take leadership after his father was murdered and his youngest sister was killed on the same day. His other sister is MIA and his mom took off awhile ago. He is a difficult man, he is lonely and hurt. He thinks he has everything figured out until he meets Dagne. She is a strong woman and homeless. Both of them sends us on a roller coaster ride of emotions and want to fight the good fight.

It took me a few chapters to find my groove in this book, but as soon as I got to the 3 chapter it was game on!!!
June 16, 2017
Another awesome read from a wonderful new favorite author.
This is the fourth book in the Fallen Aces Series, and is just as good as it's predecessors.

I don't read reviews or blurbs before embarking on a new book as a rule, but half way through I sometimes take a look... as was the case with this book. I was disappointed to find a review that was IMO anyway, really overly harsh on not just the story, but the author as well. And it contains a major spoiler that I felt should have been hidden. But anyway....

Yes this book contains a rape scene. it's going to happen at some stage, after all we are reading about a motorcycle group, a group of men who have their own set of rules. The author handles this part of the story very well, touching on the fact that this was not consensual, but left the reader to fill in the depth of the horror that the person involved went through. That is all I am saying on the subject.

Hooch has always appeared to be a really strong character, being the President of his chapter of the Fallen Aces he needs to be strong and in control.....but is that really who Hootch is? Inside we find a drug and alcohol addicted man, trying to keep his head above water, but not really sure if he wants to. He is about ready to give up on his presidency, his club and his life, when Dagne enters his life. With trying to accept the recent deaths of both his father and sister at the hands of Carlos, the last thing Hooch needs is the problems of a woman. But, as is always the way in our romance tales, fate has other ideas, and the reader of course expects a HEA.

I have loved reading this series, and now hope to go back and catch up with the Butcher Boys.
Profile Image for Joelle.
1,279 reviews17 followers
March 17, 2019

5 stars from us
April 19, 2017
Max Henry really did an amazing job with this book. I have loved every book that has been in this series but this one really touched my heart. She has touched on subjects that are not only sensitive but ones that need more awareness. She touches upon mental health, loss, abuse (both mental and sexual), addictions I mean she just does a beautiful job while including a story about the MC that is one that will have you completely engrossed.

Hooch, man how I wanted to hate him, the more I read about this man the more I not only loved him but my heart hurt for him. He has experienced such a terrible loss in his life and he feels so much guilt, add in having to be in charge of an MC and the man is drowning. He is ready for life to be done and has closed himself off from everyone close to him.

Dagne hasn't had it easy, she has taken up living like a free spirit but there is more under her surface that she keeps close to her vest. She doesn't trust people but she is getting desparate and takes Digits up on a ride, a shower and a meal before she gets back on the road again. She never expected to meet Hooch or to be so drawn to him. They are complete oppososites but their souls call out for one another.

I highly recommend this book. Your job will drop with this book and you will absolutely love it. Max has done another amazing job with this book and I can't wait to read more hopefully soon by her.
Profile Image for Christina  Fender.
404 reviews2 followers
April 6, 2017
Existential is the story of Hooch and Dagne. Two people that couldn't be more different. Hooch is the newly appointed president of the Fallen Angels MC, Ft Worth chapter. Dagne is a "free-spirit" as she calls herself and travels with no actual home.

We meet Dagne as she's trying to sneak out of a store with food she's forgotten to pay for. In desperate need of a shower, she literally runs into Digits. Digits decides to help the damsel in distress out and offer her a ride to a hot shower and clean bed.

Hooch, who has had much loss in his life having lost his father and sister on the same day has been thrust into the role of president. All he wants is to drink, snort, or shoot up until he feels nothing.

Upon first meeting Dagne he loathes her and gives her the tasks usually reserved for the prospects. Dagne never complains and completes each tasks perfectly.

Is it possible for two people who have felt so much loss to find happiness in each other?

This was my first read by Max Henry. I do feel I was missing quite a bit of the story by not having read the prior books in the series first. But, that being said, I did buy the box set of the first books in the series after finishing this one. I look forward to reading many more books by this author in the future.
Profile Image for A Book Lover's Emporium Book Blog.
2,814 reviews145 followers
April 17, 2017
Existential is a six book series that can be read as a standalone. The story is very easy to get caught up in and I was engrossed right away. It has an outstanding storyline and the characters were always supportive and always there for each other. I loved how Max Henry introduced each character and made them seem alive, as if I were part of their world.

Hooch and Dange meet when Digits and Crackers bring her back to The Aces MC Club. Digits and Crackers met her at a convenience store, where she was stealing from and saved her. Hooch was not to sure of her at first and thought of her as a free loader. His nickname for her was "Fairy" because she was a stray. He had her do a lot of menial work at the club house. After everything Dagne did for Hooch they became close and eventually fall in love.

I will definitely recommend this book to other readers and I look forward to reading the continuation of this series. Hooch and Dange snuck their way into my heart, but so did the other characters in the story. This one is a definite must read.
Profile Image for Jessica Alcazar.
3,861 reviews435 followers
March 9, 2019
The greatness that is the Fallen Aces MC continues with Existential without missing a beat. I've mentioned this before about this series but let me do it again ... this series is dark. It is not for the faint at heart. However, Existential is not just a dark romance, it is hopeful. SO fucking hopeful! To be blunt, Hooch and Dagne are both just two very disturbed, fucked up souls. But they are the light that each needs to rise above the depth of darkness that they both live in. Before they met, they were both just existential. Now they don't just exist, they LIVE

This book is going to take you thru a myriad of emotions. At least it did for me. I felt it ALL. I continue to look forward to reading the life of the Fallen Aces and any work by Max Henry.

Copy provided for blog tour review
Profile Image for Wendy Livingstone.
13.4k reviews118 followers
April 19, 2017
This is the fourth book in the Fallen Aces series, but can be read as a standalone. Hooch is the president of the Fort Worth chapter of the Fallen Aces, and his past has left him a broken man. Dagne is a drifter, who is just looking for somewhere she fits in. When she lands up at the MC, there is an instant explosive chemistry between her and Hooch. Can they heal each other and grow stronger? No spoilers, but you really need to read this amazing series for yourself!
This is a well written storyline, and I was hooked and captivated throughout. I have 1-clicked the first three books in this series. I recommend this authors work for all MC lovers, and cannot wait to read more of her work. Awesome job Max!!
I voluntarily read an ARC of this book!
Profile Image for KDRBCK.
5,464 reviews14 followers
April 1, 2017
Existential by Max Henry is the fourth installment in Fallen Aces MC Series and can be read as a standalone. For better understanding I recommend tead the series in order.
Met Hoooch, president of the Fort Worth Chapter of The Fallen Aces MC. He´s not a simple man with a difficult past. He´s lonely, hurt, sometimes hopeless- he´s drowning in his desolation but his brothers expect him to be their leader.
And there is Dagne, a homeless stray. She´s strong, so strong. I really liked her character.
Both are lost souls. Then they find each other and it was so beautiful to read how Hooch finds a reason to live on.
Favorite Quote: " It´s okay to say you´re not okay. "
Existential is not the typical MC book. It´s a emotional read that took me on a roller coaster.
4 Stars and Thank you Max Henry!
Profile Image for She Hearts Books.
2,079 reviews67 followers
April 24, 2017
I am such a fan of everything that Max writes and I couldn't wait to read Hooch's story. I have to say that one of the things that I loved is that Max gave us an MC President that had some serious issues which left him vulnerable. He suffered a great loss which he felt hard and used many things to mask the pain that he was feeling. What I also loved is that his brothers had their eyes on his the whole time and supported him when he needed it most. I loved Dee for him. A woman that could be everything to him at his lowest and stuck by him through it all. My heart broke for what she went through, but I also loved that Max didn't gloss over it and make Dee over it as soon as it was all over. She made it clear that Dee needed to work through everything. I loved also that Hooch returned the favor and stood by her just the same. I enjoyed their story and can't wait to read more in the series.

I give Existential 4 hearts!
2 reviews
June 6, 2017
Rape...the book contains rape.

The main female character is raped at 90%. It really p****s me off when I spend my time reading a book with no trigger warnings whatsoever to almost make it to the end and she gets raped. I will say that this author did a good job of writing it without detail and contained it to a few short paragraphs. I liked the book up until that part. I can even tolerate books when it happens in the beginning and is minimally described, but *newsflash* you can't bring two characters back from that in the 10% left of the book. So, at 90%, I DNF and wrote this review to warn others. I probably would have given it 4, maybe 5, stars, but for me, raping at the end (with no warnings that I could find) is a huge F*** you to the readers. So two stars for you and I will most likely not read any future works by this author.
363 reviews3 followers
April 16, 2017
Review of Existential by Max Henry

Review done for Hooked on Books & CherryOBlossoms Promotions

4 out of 5 stars

Hooch is drowning in his sorrow. His father and sister were murdered on the same day leaving him in charge of The Fallen Aces MC. He doesn’t know whom he can trust and can’t seem to get his act together.

When a desperate, homeless woman is brought to the club, something stirs inside Hooch. He isn’t sure whether is it the loneliness and desperation that they both suffer from or something else.

Dagne doesn’t have anyone left in the world she can turn to. After her father dies, her mother shuns her. She is just drifting from place to place. When she accepts the help from a stranger, she is taken to an MC clubhouse. This is an entirely different world from what she has experienced.

One incident after another pushes Hooch and Dagne together. Soon they find that there is a special bond between them as well as smoking hot chemistry.

This book was a little slow at the start for me. Around the halfway point, it really picked up and kept my interest until the end. It had all the usual hardcore violence and sex that a usual biker book has.

I would recommend this book for biker romance fans.
March 26, 2019
First things first, if you are expecting rainbows and unicorn farts you ain’t gonna find that here. But, what you will get is one of the most raw, intense and gritty pieces of writing I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading.

Hooch is a man consumed by his own internal pain – yet no one can hear his cries. Or, scratch that, he’s not prepared to let anyone breach his defences long enough to find out. Battered from all angles, he is man spiralling within the depths of his own mind. His position won’t allow for any show of weakness. That is, until her…

“I fall a little in love with her acceptance of things she doesn’t understand.”

Desperate times call for desperate measures, and the streets are an unforgiving place. So, can Dagne really turn down the offer of food and shelter from an unexpected source, even if it is a MC? Yet, what will they expect in return?

The unexpected can lead you on a path you never envisaged – towards a pair of brooding brown eyes. Dagne instantly recognises there is more to this man than meets the eye. She senses a calling from within that they are kindred, but nothing worth fighting for is ever easy. Can they learn to trust in one another enough to let down their guards?

“We’ve got the pieces, babe. We just need to figure out how they all work together.”

I loved this book. Was it easy to read at times? In a word, no. But it was real and honest, and hit me right in the gut. I’ve always believed that people come in to our lives for a reason. Hooch’s world had shifted off its axis and it took one woman, his fairy, to right his world again. Together they are stronger and can overcome unsurmountable odds.

“… he’s the place I’ve been searching for, the forever home that calls to my heart.”

Note: Copy kindly received from author in exchange for an honest review.
1,816 reviews44 followers
July 4, 2017
Max Henry never disappoints her readers and I can honestly say that this book was sensational.

Hooch, as president of the Fallen Aces MC, is fighting severe depression due to loss of family. He doubts himself at every step and loses himself in drugs and alcohol. Along comes Dagne, a drifter looking for that special place to hang her hat. This is their story, a lot of it isn't pretty but that's life!

I have to say Dagne is such an unusual name that I enjoyed searching Google for pronunciations! Love the uniqueness of it! Dagne is a strong character who isn't aware of her inner strength at first. She is such a likeable woman, very real, I love it when she gets sassy and feisty.

Hooch is a mess but a loveable one at that. Having read the previous books you do get a little insight into why he is such a mess. You don't actually need to read the other books but I recommend you do simply because they are terrific.

All of the characters weave a little magic to spin this tale, even the evil ones. I enjoyed the ending as I'm sure you will too. It is a fast paced book and the storyline is compelling with a little bit of everything included-romance and passion, humour, mystery and suspense-all balancing each other perfectly.

I am in awe of the talent this author uses to create such wonderful stories.
Profile Image for Julie.
2,005 reviews26 followers
July 13, 2017
The beast, Hooch, really has come to the end of the line, he's broken, drinking heavily and using drugs. He thinks he needs guidance, for himself and for the MC...he knows he does. But his brothers continue to stand by him and aid him in all he does and needs, except for his over indulgences, they have to stop. A guiding light appears for him in the guise of a a small woman, a lost woman who has no where to go and no one to see, she needs help, a home and someone love.
I always love seeing the deeper feelings these tough MC biker boys usually cover up, the tough, revenge they deal out, when one of their own has been hurt, not so much, but the bad guy know what will happen when they are caught. An amazing book, emotional, violence to the extent I'd call heart-breaking, lots of suspense, and love. A brilliant story, I loved every page. Ms. Henry is an amazing writing, I'm looking forward to her next book!
Profile Image for Milena.
478 reviews
July 19, 2017
Deep feelings here

Hooch touched my heart and Dagne sealed the deal. Having to live through some terrible things has both of them finding it hard to trust in the good things that they find in each other. The dark clouds hanging over Hooch have him making some choices that are not necessarily the best way to operate. However they lead him to bring his brothers back in. Dagne comes to trust in Hooch and the good things that he brings to her life. She gains a family, love and a place to belong. She is even able to bring closure to her scars through opening up to Hooch. This was definitely a great read!
Profile Image for Terri West.
1,612 reviews
November 9, 2022
Yet another enjoyable fast paced read in this series. The subject of Hooch's depression is well handled and yes there is a scene of non consensual sex here was written well making it apparent what had happened without the gruesome detail. I felt connected to all the characters in this book and I really hope they get more airtime. My only gripe is that we never really found out what happened when the guys all headed out for a meet as arranged by Digit, merely what happened shortly before then they all arrived back at the club house.
I look forward to reading more in this series.
Profile Image for Tersia Eloff.
480 reviews2 followers
June 24, 2017
This was by far the most emotional book I've read by Max Henry, book one to 3 was great, this one just grabbed me. When you read the first of the Fallen Aces books you get to know Hooch a little, just enough to make you want to know more. This book had it all, it was sad, it made me giggle at times. I loved it! Thank you Max for another brilliant MC book.
1,101 reviews3 followers
August 31, 2017
Totally in love with Hooch!!! We've got a lot in common and I think that's why I connected to him a lot. I loved seeing a man not so sure of himself and a woman, Dagne to help him through that in such a special way. There wasn't a whole lot of action or sexiness but there was an excellent story that I think a lot of people could relate to.
January 15, 2018
They get better and better

We started with King, then moved to way to sexy Sawyer and now we have Hooch. Sweet Hooch. It ain't pretty but it is love, the way they know it. It is a very quick read because you can't put it down. When it feels like the end, it is really the beginning.
40 reviews
January 14, 2021
Spellbound

Max has done it again. I didn't know what to expect with Hooch's book but it did not disappoint. I became hooked with the Butcher Boys but I have absolutely fallin in love with each and everyone of these men. Dang you sure know how to write a book! I cant wait for my next read. I will probably devour your whole library! Thanks for sharing them with us!
Profile Image for Stacey.
63 reviews
May 30, 2017
A little disappointed!

Not my favorite of the fallen aces books. Hooch is a character I've always loved and was excited he was getting his own book, however this book just wasn't what I was expecting. It wasn't exciting enough, not much of a love story either.
39 reviews
July 24, 2017
Hooch and Dagne, a completely unlikely pairing, that totally works! I loved Hooch, the way his humanness and vulnerability are juxtaposed with his violence and aggression.
I loved Dagne, her grit and determination making her a feisty match for Hooch.
I am even more of a Fallen Aces fangirl now!!
Profile Image for Deb.
793 reviews2 followers
September 2, 2019
LOVE!!

Love this series that followed the Butcher Boys!! Can't put it down!! Always exciting and never can predict the outcome! So much fun to read!!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 64 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.