Start by marking “Between Ghosts” as Want to Read:
Between Ghosts

Between Ghosts

WINNER of the 2017 EPIC Award for Contemporary Romance

In 2003, journalist Connor Regan marched through London to add his voice to a million others, decrying the imminent invasion of Iraq. Eight months later, his brother, James, was killed in action in Mosul.

Three years on, Connor finds himself bound for Iraq to embed with an elite SAS team. He sets his boots on the ground
ebook, 1 edition, 226 pages
Published March 14th 2016 by Riptide Publishing

Start your review of Between Ghosts
Gigi
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it

Hurt/Healing/Comfort between military men? SIGN ME UP!

Connor Regan is a journalist who lost his brother, James, when he was killed in combat during a mission in Mosul, Iraq. Conner's brother was part of an elite and very secretive team in the British Army called SAS, Special Air Reserve. (As a side note, when I searched for images to make my pretty cast collage above, almost all pictures of real SAS members have their faces blurred out.) Because of the secret nature of the mission, Conner never
Papie
Jul 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book completely blew me away. I normally lose interest when there is too much military stuff, or too much anything that isn’t the romance, but something about this book completely hooked me. It was heavy on the military and light on the romance, but yet I needed to know everything about Irak, and the life of the people and the soldiers in that horrible war zone.

Nat and Connor? I loved them. Loved everything about their romance, the angst, the passion, the fear of losing the other, the fear
Sheziss
I love Garrett Leigh and I liked the book. But I wasn’t feeling this.

I read it with pleasure because I love her style and her writing, her characters are interesting and more than they seem at first sight. She’s engaging and that’s why I kept reading. But the love story lacked passion, IMO.

Connor is a journalist, or a hack, as people keep calling him. His brother James died during service three years ago and he still has questions. He knows little to nothing about how James died, but what eats h
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
Shelves: male-action
4.5 Stars!

Military books can be hit or miss for me. Especially if they are too heavy on the military and too light on the romance. And while I think this one was a bit more focused on the military aspect, there was a enough romance to keep me satisfied.

I found the depiction of the military aspect to be very realistic. Or at least what I imagine being on a tour would be like. Needless to say, this wasn't a "sweet" romance. It was intense, it was gritty, it was at times bloody.

After the death of
Bev
Well this was just fabulous! Truly. The author captured the absolute horrors our forces endure in their fight for our safety and freedom. Dear god, do they endure - appalling conditions, risk to their lives constantly, losing their brothers, you name it. Yet these men do it .... for us and for each other.

Leigh has such a knack with her characters, and Nat, Connor and their boys are some of her best - strong, resilient, protective and tireless in their fight for Queen and Country.

The best GL boo
Simone
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"You all must have been through so much before you even came here. It's scary, really."
"Don't let our ghosts scare you. Most of them aren't worth it."
"Every ghost means something, Nat."

Somehow I always have a bit of a guilty conscience when I love a story that deals with the cruelties of war. With the senselessness and intractability. With hopelessness and exhaustion. With loss and grief. Especially if the war is real, like in this story.

Of
Alisa
I freely admit I'm a big fan girl of this author. I like everything's she ever written. But that being said I think this was her best work. This is gorgeous. Unlike some, I have no desire to be a writer. I like reading and I'm happy with that. But every once in awhile I read something so good though that I think "If I could write I would want it to be this book". That's how I felt when I finished this book.

Connor is a journalist who has been an anti-war protester in the past. After his soldier
Diana
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arc
Connor Regan is a journalist embedded with an elite SAS team, Charlie 3. He is still mourning the death of his brother, James, who was also in the SAS. Connor needs to know the “why” he died, not so much the how. He has trained for years getting ready for his assignment. Physically he is ready. Mentally might be a real problem, especially when he meets the person in command of Charlie 3.

Sergeant Nathan “Nat” Thompson has been hardened by war. Over the years he has seen death and destruction. He
Cadiva
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Superbly researched, brutal and complex romance

This book is a brutal depiction of the frustrations and realities of war - in this case the 2003 and onwards invasion of Iraq as part of the so called War of Terror.

A mindless conflict which achieved nothing but cost so many British, and other countries, lives both military and civilian, Garrett Leigh places her two MCs firmly in the centre of Special Forces operations three years later in 2006, as SAS patrol CO Nat and journalist Connor meet in the
Jewel
I'm beginning to think that Garrett Leigh can do little wrong. I love military stories. Especially when we get to see the vulnerability of the soldiers. While Connor was with Charlie-3, we see them through his eyes and they felt so real. The laughter, the gruffness, and just how they all carried themselves. These men are dedicated. And they're also human.

Connor Regan is a journalist who used to do fairly fluffy pieces about current entertainment. But after his brother James is killed in action,
Adam
My ratings for Garrett Leigh are all over the place - I've given her 5 stars, 4, 3, and also just 2. I rate based on my enjoyment of the plot and romance, but what always remains consistent is this author's writing. 'Between Ghosts' is poignant and emotional. I could very clearly feel the regrets and sadness that Connor and Nat lived with. I could also easily immerse myself in the dangerous environment of Basra, Iraq.

The relationship development was well paced. Connor and Nat go from strangers,
Vanessa North
This was an absolutely gripping military romance between an embedded journalist and the CO of the squad with which he's embedded.

There's a sense of grim fatalism, of taking comfort and passion in a moment because it could be gone tomorrow. It's raw and ruthless, and it made me cry more than once.

I want to give a shout out to Leigh's handling of Nat's bisexuality.It was treated as a matter-of-fact aspect of his character, mentioned a few times in passing. There was no casual misogyny, no dismissi
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
War romance, so sad yet so good.
Tanja ~ KT Book Reviews
Between Ghosts is a thought-out, well-rounded military read with a side of sexy. Connor Regan, brother to the deceased soldier James, has decided to rearrange his life. No longer a kid with certain ideals, he is now a reporter working within an elite team in the military to get the real story of war.

Nat Thompson has lost one of his best friends to the day-to-day grind that is war. He has no time or inclination to deal with bureaucracy and risk any more of his team to drag an untrained civilian a
Lelyana's Reviews

*** 5 stars! ***

OMG ! I was so happy when I've got this book, it's Garrett frickin' Leigh !
But then I realised this is a war story. In Iraq. Dammit !
I have a hate - love - hate - relationship about this one.
I lost my loved one in the same country .
That's why I felt giddy and chicken out before I started this. But like almost all of you guys, I'm a masochist, and I read.

Yeah, fuckin' awesome. I read and I was right 'there' with Connor and Nat.
I hate that they're lost someone they loved. I ha
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
3.5 Stars

This is my portion of a co-review (Gay Guy / St8 Girl). On the blog OJ and I go into a more in-depth discussion with a back and forth Q & A session. Click the link below to see the whole review and more.

INITIAL THOUGHTS

I enjoyed the read, but it lacked the teeth I had expected. I was surprised to find this so…romantic. I know, I know, this is male-male romance, but the setting led me to believe there would be more impact, more grit. To be fair there are a few action scenes, but it
Karen
This one wasn't easy but it was worth it...

'Between Ghosts' makes the fourth book that I've ever read which was set during a war. Two of those books were written by Greg Iles and anyone who knows me, knows he could write a recipe book and I'd read it cover to cover, the third book was by Amy Lane and it was set during WWII as were the Greg Iles books so this book is even more unique in that it's set in modern times and that's something I really would rather avoid in my stories because the f
Ele
Aug 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
I would have loved for a more solid ending, but having "met" Connor and Nat in Soul to Keep, I didn't mind much. I'm glad this one popped up in my feed, I had completely forgotten its existence. ...more
Alona
4.5 stars.
I truly loved this story!
I love this author's books, some more then others, this one was definitely one of the ones I love more.

I must say that the two MC's relationship was sort of instant and felt like it comes from nowhere. I would have loved to see it build and transform more deeply, to have more "foundations".
But, as soon as I overcame this little bump, I felt a true connection between the characters and I was rooting for them.
I loved how they cared for one another and wanted them
Saint Monique
3,5 stars

This book was ok and I liked Connor and Nat together but I can't say that the story swept me off my feet exactly. Some special charm was missing. It was also my first military romance and I'm glad I tried sth new but I think it's not really my thing because I soon became lost in army jargon and then got bored of it.
JR
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love great stories
Journalist Conner Regan wants answers about the death of his older brother James in Iraq. He devises a plan to travel with some troops, providing an insight to the war, but perhaps he will also get an answer about his brother.

Nathan "Nat" Thompson has been fighting in Iraq for several years now. He commands a group of harden, weary men. What he doesn't need is a civilian that will bollocks their missions, but the higher ups think it will be good PR.

This book is now at the top of my list for 2
Karen Wellsbury
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was quite apprehensive starting this, as I don't relate well to war stories, but it was a glorious book. The balance between melancholy and hope, past and future is done so delicately, and the relationship between Connor and Nat- was beautiful , as was every single relationship in the book. There wasn't any dialogue or human circumstance that didn't ring true. So while the situations may have been alien, the reactions weren't.

One of the best books I've read this year
Ariana
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ariana by: Christelle
Shelves: lgbtq
Garret Leigh simply has a way with words.

It hits you straight there - where it matters most. I am not necessarily into military books, but this one really got to me. Although probably nowhere near the real horrors that soldiers have to endure (not sure if the average punter could cope with that), it brought home what these men do in the most harrowing circumstances day-in and day-out, what they sacrifice and what they lose by just doing their job.

One thing's for sure - they change, just like Nat
Tess
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it

This was intense and engaging. I don't read too many military stories, but most of the ones that I read tend to take place back home afterwards. Between Ghosts is different in that almost all of the story occurs in the war zone in Iraq in 2006. Connor is an imbedded journalist trying to make sense of his brother's death three years before. He's assigned to Nat's unit. Nat has been hardened by years of war and haunted by memories of the friends he's lost. There's an attraction simmering
Kathleen

Here's what I wrote about the book back in 2016:

"Atmospheric, great world building, well developed characters, well written, gritty story with an unlikely romance. The British slang in the dialogue repeatedly drew me away from the story, but after awhile I just started to grin every time some obscure-to-us-Americans word or phrase popped up. I got over it. Being married to a retired airman who was part of the intelligence community probably gave me a slightly different perspective than
Rachel
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can't find the right words to express how much I loved this book, my heart is equally broken and bursting with different emotions and I'm sobbing as I'm writing this. Hmmm think I'll come back and write something else when I'm a little more coherent <3 ...more
Ula'ndi Hart
Overall book review: 4.5
Audio book: N/A
Book Cover: 3.8

I really have a thing for Garrett Leigh’s books. She is one of those authors that I’ll go wondering around too see what she’s up to sometimes.

I really really enjoyed this book, as I’ve got a thing for soldiers. So it ticked my boxes in lots of ways. I loved the idea behind the whole thing and the feel of it all. I found it to be realistic in that way. It was very much involved with the war side of the story and even though there was little
Denise H.
*** 10 stars for this gripping tale of war ! *** British SAS, Special Air Services, are soldiers in Basra, Iraq, collecting Intel, studying landscapes, patrolling, mapping, searching, and surviving anyway they can. The language is very British. Nat is the leader of his squad.

He's rough, tough, and fierce. A journalist is assigned to him and he'll be in the way. When Connor, the good looking writer shows up, Nat is surprised.

Connor is smart, savvy, and fits in well. This story is astoundingly
Natasha
4.5 stars.

Really great! Solid writing, clean dialogue. Not too long, and no elements that I felt were filler.
Lovely ending.

Enjoyed this a lot.
Aerin
Shelves: m-m
It's been a long time since I've read any military MM books, especially ones that are set in a war zone. I knew this wasn't going to be a traditional romance because that wouldn't be very believable given the circumstances. But I love Garrett Leigh and so I HAD to read this! I'm so happy I did, because this was a very lovely book, realistic, and a definite eye-opener when it comes to our troops and their experiences while deployed.

Connor is a journalist who lost his brother, James, 3 years prior
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Coddiwomple
  • The Murder Between Us (A Noah & Cole Thriller, #1)
  • Not So Sincerely, Yours (For Him, #2)
  • Latakia
  • The Endgame (Atlanta Lightning, #1)
  • Bossy
  • Love Always, Wild (For Him, #1)
  • The Night Of
  • Unguarded (Vino & Veritas #10)
  • Line Mates & Study Dates (CU Hockey, #4)
  • The Jock
  • Beautifully Unexpected
  • Goal Lines & First Times (CU Hockey, #3)
  • Headstrong (Vino & Veritas, #3)
  • Aftermath (Vino & Veritas, #5)
  • Enemies of the State (The Executive Office #1)
  • Down Low (Down Home #1)
War
LGBT > Gay
See top shelves…
She/Her

Bonus Material available for all books on Garrett's Patreon account. Includes short stories from Misfits, Slide, Strays, What Remains, Dream, and much more. Sign up here: https://www.patreon.com/garrettleigh

Facebook Fan Group, Garrett's Den... https://www.facebook.com/groups/garre...

Garrett Leigh is an award-winning British writer, cover artist, and book designer. Her debut novel, Slide, wo