Start by marking “Abstract Algebra” as Want to Read:
Abstract Algebra

Abstract Algebra

Widely acclaimed algebra text. This book is designed to give the reader insight into the power and beauty that accrues from a rich interplay between different areas of mathematics. The book carefully develops the theory of different algebraic structures, beginning from basic definitions to some in-depth results, using numerous examples and exercises to aid the reader's ...more
Hardcover, Third Edition, 944 pages
Published July 14th 2003 by Wiley (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Abstract Algebra, please sign up.
Recent Questions

Start your review of Abstract Algebra
David
Dec 28, 2010 is currently reading it
Going on 6 years of "currently reading."
Nishant Pappireddi
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am a student at UC Berkeley who is studying mathematics. Nine months ago, my friend sent me a pdf of this book because I was interested to see what kind of problems were being assigned in her Algebra class. Ever since then, I have become more and more enamored with Algebra, and this book has been critical in allowing me to discover its beauty and power.

As a general note, the layout of the book (in terms of aesthetic appearance) is actually among the best that I've seen in math textbooks. The
Justin
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
Wow. Another page turner. This is a wonderful text for anyone looking to learn abstract algebra. No wonder it's called the algebra bible! David S. Dummit weaves in tons of juicy examples for basically all the stories. He doesn't really leave a lot of things as a mystery for the reader. Everything is pretty crystal clear and up front. If you're looking for a mystery novel, this is not the choice for you. Sometimes I wish he left even more proofs as exercises for the readers. That would have ...more
Terran
Nov 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-serious
If you're going to study Abstract Algebra on your own, from texts, this is absolutely the place to do it. Thorough, clear, readable, in-depth, and yet not "concise" in that sense that mathematicians mean "readable only by experts in the field".
Harris
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolute monster. After reading this for almost two years, I feel comfortable saying I've 'finished' it. Everything after the Galois Theory section is a blur, but the main sections on Groups and Rings add so much to my basic understanding given to me by Gallian. The Modules and Vector Spaces section clearly illuminate a unification of what I thought were essentially disparate fields of mathematics, and the chapters on Galois theory bring it all home. I just hope Representation theory starts ...more
John Hammond
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: algebra, math
Excellent book on Algebra.
Qubitng
Mar 11, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
Had to use it for undergrad algebra decades ago. Can't see the tree because there are too many leaves. Not recommended as the primary text at the undergrad level but maybe as a source for exercises.
Chris
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I used this for self-study over the course of a year or so. In that time, worked the problems in chapters 0-14 and 18-19. From a learner's perspective, this book is very, very good. The text is clear, thorough and humble, and the exercises are excellent. The longer, multi-part exercises often help the reader to an interesting, non-trivial result in manageable steps. I'm very thankful for this wonderful book.
Wissam Raji
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mathematics
A self-contained book in abstract algebra with a wide range of topics. Very well-written, easy to read, textbook with introductory and advanced topics. Recommended for undergraduate and graduate students.
Hyung Mook Kang
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: unfinished
Although a book of abstract algebra, this book lacks the rigor when it comes to the explanation of definition and proof. Especially in the part of tensor product and exact sequence, the explanations are terrible af.
Chu Uyen Dinh Diệp
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My Bible for Algebra
Owen Tanner
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bit of a bible for people working in abstract algebra. Has everything in it that you need.
Shiwani
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Angm81
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
I certainly wouldn't say I liked this book, but I wouldn't say I liked any advanced math textbook. It did help me survive a 600-level Abstract Algebra class, though. The book itself was frustrating in a lot of the typical math textbook ways (i.e. using "clearly..." and "obviously..." in proofs to avoid explaining yourself; if it's clear and obvious, then it should be easy enough for you to state it, so do so!). I found it beyond annoying for another reason, though: the blatant disregard for use ...more
Une
Oct 18, 2014 added it
AJ
Jan 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
This book is certainly, as it proposes, thorough (as far as group theory, I can vouch) and certainly attains a readability that Hungerford lacks and an adherence to standard notational conventions (in the more advanced algebraic regimes such as Lie algebras) in which Lang is deficient. However, their style is slow.
For independent study at a leisurely pace, of group theory, this book is a good first source. It has a good collection of exercises overall, and these should be worked out instead of
Dan
Jun 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like abstract algebra
Shelves: maths
This book is dense and huge. So you know it has a ton of information.

I don't know if it is the best treatment of the material, but it is thorough (maybe even TOO thorough.)

But all in all it was the best algebra textbook I've ever had.

Used it all year in a graduate algebra course, and fortunately my torrid love affair with it has come to an end...

What I learned from this book:

commutative algebra, field theory, representation theory (sort of,) galois theory, and algebraic geometry.
Ming
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Used this book for Group Theory, Ring Theory, Module Theory and Galois Theory for the Honors Algebra Sequence in UChicago. Pretty good book - some very basic exercises, some suitably challenging ones; the exposition is relatively lucid and organised, the pacing comfortably slow (you don't have to do too much filling in of the gaps when it comes to proofs of important theorems and results). A pretty decent introduction to fundamentals of Abstract Algebra.
Waffles
Jan 20, 2011 rated it liked it
It's a math text, so I didn't enjoy reading it, but it is a good comprehensive overview of algebra. I'm glad this was the text for my algebra sequence.
Jovany Agathe
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book.
Natalya
Jul 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mathematics
Eww, I have bad memories of Professor Shariari now.
Sofi Ullah
Mar 22, 2016 marked it as to-read
it is very good for student.
César Carranza

• Algebra
  • Algorithm Design
  • Algebraic Topology
  • Introductory Functional Analysis with Applications
  • Calculus On Manifolds: A Modern Approach To Classical Theorems Of Advanced Calculus
  • Functional Analysis
  • Mathematical Analysis
  • Fourier Analysis on Groups
  • Real Analysis: Modern Techniques and Their Applications
  • Linear Algebra and Its Applications
  • Introduction to Real Analysis

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »