Start by marking “Playing by the Rules (Portwood Brothers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Playing by the Rules (Portwood Brothers, #2)

Playing by the Rules

(Portwood Brothers #2)

Payton always had one rule she lived by, no boyfriends until after college. No one seemed to agree with her, even her own mother who had her at age sixteen. Returning to school after an accident that flipped Payton’s world upside down left her feeling out of control. Holding on to her rule seemed to be her only lifeline.

Josh had been letting the past rule his life for too
Paperback
Published August 25th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Playing by the Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing by the Rules

Lynn Reynolds
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-reading
Payton Whitmore seems to be having a really bad day. She has a few insecurities that seem to add to her vulnerability which also affects her emotionally. Josh seems to be having a bad day as well. It’s interesting to watch these two skim around each other’s space before they truly come into contact with each other. The author makes Payton strong enough that she can feel comfortable enough around Josh that she finally has the courage to share some of herself with him. But she also shows the frust ...more
Tina Morgan
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a 4 star read from me. It is a cute romance book. The story flows well too it doesn't lag at all. I was halfway through the book before I realized it. Payton is a product of a teenage pregnancy and saw how much her mom struggled her entire life. So she decided no boyfriend's until after school was completely over. And it worked for her until her junior year of college and she meets Josh and he breaks down her walls. But she's still hiding things from him. Josh has been leet in the past a ...more
Candi Gabbart
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
* Received a copy in exchange for an honest review that being said.
When I began this book it took me sometime to get into. It was slow at first but then all of a sudden it took off.
You will fall in love with Payton and Josh story. Payton never had a boyfriend before then she meets Josh and he isn't going to give up on her yet. With their past and obstacles in there way can they find a Happy ending.
Naomi Connor
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***ARC provided in exchange for an honest review - Naomi / Scandalous Book Blog***

I loved the whole feel of this book. Somewhere along the way I felt like I, the reader became part of their world. Emily's writing is compelling and brings endless hours of fun.

Payton and Josh are 2 great characters on their own, however when they come together they are electrifying.
College life is never easy and with the insecurities they both hold finding there way is a bumpy road.

Payton is really having a rough
Cynthia
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The portwood Brothers are something else. This books can be read as stand alones, but honestly? You'll want to meet the whole family.

Josh is a really good guy. He's trying to get over his horrible ex when he meets Payton. He likes her instantly and starts trying to get her to go out with him.
Payton has rules. Lots of them. She has no time for dating until after college, that way she won't end up as her mom pregnant at a young age.

Payton is quite the character. After a car accident she has memor
Amy Stephens
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so blown away with Playing by the Rules! Emily Robertson has created this amazing cast of characters that makes me want to go back to college and be friends with all of them. I am literally begging for more.

I am a huge lover of college romance stories and this is one of my favorites. I immediately fell into this story and felt a connection with Payton as she struggled with returning to her junior year of college after suffering from a rather painful summer. I wanted to be that best-friend f
Toula
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 2 in the series . Contemporary Romance . Hero is Josh . Heroine is Payton .
Josh and Payton go to the same school .
Payton mom is in a coma from a car accident. Payton blames her self for the coma . But Payton didn't get off Scott free either . Payton has wicked headaches, her memory comes and goes . Payton needs to talk to the dean at school and that is where she meets Josh.
Josh wonders who she is and why was her time with the dean more important than his . But Josh likes the look of Payt
Sheri Bishop
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more books I read by Emily Robertson, the more I begin to love her writing style. She really pulls you into the story and makes you feel what each character is feeling. Then she throws in a few twists and turns just to keep us on our toes. Nicely done, Ms Emily.

Payton - girl you were so uptight when this story started. But we loved and rooted for you anyway. And as we watched you grow and come into your womanhood, we just loved you more.

And Josh - I loved you from page one. The way you over
Leyns
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh.

I read this book based on all the high ratings it’s received, but unfortunately I didn’t particularly enjoy it. It wasn’t a bad book, the writing and the characters were okay. I just didn’t really care for the heroine and I don’t know why the hero (and his twin) were so into her. It seemed like Josh was only so into her because she was hard to get, and Jax maybe because she’s off limits. The characters were quite immature IMO, but I think they are around 19-21yrs old, so I guess it’s approp
Julie Jackson
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed for SNS

This book was very intense and emotional. Payton hasn’t been the same since the accident and things are spiraling out of control. When she meets Josh, she dismisses him but soon finds that she cannot get him out of her head. She agrees to one dinner but that turns into so much more. Her family, his family, and a lot of raw and very vivid emotions are present. Josh only wants her to be free of her nightmares and stay with him. Can he hold onto her or will she push him away for goo
Jennifer Richey
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recieved a voluntary copy of this book! Wow the cover of this book I love it and from the first page to the blurb I'm hooked! Wow this story had me glued I didn't want to put it down I really loved Payton and Josh chemistry!!! She got in a bad wreck and her mama too The only thing is her mama is on life support and she survived! Payton pushes Josh away a lot but will she finally let her walls down some what? I loved how we see Addison and Bryce engaged and still together!!! Loved this story!! ...more
Spunky N Sassy
Spunky N Sassy Rating: 4.66

~~~~~~~~~~Tracy's ★★★★★ Review~~~~~~~~~~

Payton Whitmore has been set to not repeat her mother's mistakes and she is determined to not have any relationship until after college and when she can devote the time they need. Unfortunately Josh Portwood didn't get the memo and he will do anything to capture Payton's attention. Josh is out from under his twin's shadow for the first time or so he thought. Things in Josh and Payton's lives get more chaotic as the world around t
Belinda
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emily Robertson writes great relationship stories. She has you invested in the characters and gives them many layers to peel away. Josh and Payton each have their baggage and it is interesting to see how they each came to deal with them and still come together. Payton's story is so sad and heart-wrenching. Their friends and family were written with such realism. I can't wait to read the next installment with Josh's twin Jackson. I received this book as an ARC.
Rachael
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emily Robertson's "Playing by the Rules" is a cute, sweet romance with a lot of character. As I was reading, I felt like I was watching friends from afar and feeling for them and rooting for them. I was able to relate to both main characters on some level, and that plus the great writing kept me engaged throughout the book. Emily Robertson has a lot to be proud of for her debut novel.
Bookish Addict
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! The book was well written with indepth character development and engaging plot. I felt a lot of emotions reading this from happiness to anger to frustration, but overall I felt hopeful. Payton went through many struggles throughout the book and it takes a lot of patience and determination that Josh had to help her through it. It's a wonderful read.
FeeMac
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Playing it Cool I wanted to know more about the dynamic band of brothers that are the Portwoods. This book did not disappoint. The storyline with all its drama made turning the pages ever so easy
Pat
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great storyline with well developed characters that hooked me right into their story from the very beginning and kept me totally enthralled until the very end!

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.
Paula Genereau
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my!!! This book was amazing. It had me wanting more. It's well written and you will love Payton. I know I did.
Crystal
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Playing by the Rules is a beautifully written, emotional and simply captivating story. I couldn't put this book down. The characters Josh and Payton were true and I really liked them. I love the Portwood family! Can't wait to read Jackson's story.
Allison Michaels
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Payton Whitmore has one rule--no boyfriends until after she’s earned her college degree. She’s determined to not follow the same path her mother traveled when she had Payton as a teenager. This resolve is further cemented as Payton struggles to keep up with her schoolwork after a tragic car accident leaves her with a brain injury that compromises her short-term memory. With her mother in a coma, she vows to keep her nose to the grindstone in order to atone for the falling out they had shortly be ...more
Eunice Lan
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Title: Playing by the Rules

Author: Emily Robertson

Genre: New Adult

Publication Year: 2015

Got the Book By: Arc was given for an honest review.

Rating: 3 Stars

Blurb

Josh ha
Laura Hampton
This is Emily Robertson's debut novel and I think she did a great job with it. Her writing engages the reader and has you feeling what the characters are going through. The story line flows well and is well written. The characters and their life stories are believable.

Payton has just returned to college after an accident that has left her world a mess. Her mother still is in the hospital in a coma and Payton would rather be there with her than anywhere else. At the prompting of her grandparent'
Laura  ~Swoon Worthy Books~
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-tour-review

Chantal
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Emily is a new author on the scene and to me, but she definitely has a hit on her hands with this series. She writes with passion and heart. This book is the first in the series. Its about the Portwood brothers and their journey's to finding love.

Payton is sophomore in college studying Business Administration. She wants to get her MBA and own her own business. Patron was in a horrible can accident the summer prior to starting her sophomore year and it affects her studying and memory due to a hea
DreamsAndScrems Bookaholics
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
***** April's 5 Star Review ***** 5 Dreams and Screams

April Johnson
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Josh had been letting the past rule his life for too long. Finally being at school, he’d become his own man, and he’d been putting all that behind him. Just when he thought he h
Melissa Mendoza
Received a copy in exchange for an honest review

“As he held her and watched her sleep, he noticed the first rays of sunlight coming through the window, and his last thoughts before finally drifting off were how this was the perfect start to his day.”

5 beautiful, romantic stars!! This book was such a cute and fun little read! I loved the characters and the story was so much fun!

Shameca Smith
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

Payton has always had the rule, no boyfriends until after college. When she is rocked by something that can change her life forever, she finds that she doesn't know how to move forward without feeling guilty. With the help of her grandparents, they push her to go back to college to try and move on with life. She is not very interested in meeting guys; that is until she meets Josh. Josh is just returning back to school after he found his girlfriend cheating on him. He finally wants to move
Tracy
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
When i began this book, i was slightly mislead because it took a while to warm up. But the more i read and the further into the story i got, i am happy to say that it actually turned into a good book!!!
Josh is studying sports and enjoying school and spending time with his friends. His ex plays him like a fool and really messes with his emotions. Its not until Payton comes into his life, that he compleately removes the ex and sets his sights on 'his future'...
Payton is suffering since her acciden
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

Playing By The Rules by Emily Robertson is a heartfelt story about trust, love, and overcoming life’s obstacles.
Ever since the accident, Payton has been going through the motions. Class, homework, study, and repeat. Lately she’s been forgetting things she normally wouldn’t and headaches have been killing her. Payton trudges on determined not to let it affect her studies. Then she meets Josh. Josh was handsome and seemed to really l
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Bishop Witches (Bound by the Craft, #1)
  • Trapped (Blood Rose Tales #1)
  • A SEAL's Proposal (Uniformly Hot SEALs, #6.4)
  • The Secret of Black Ship Island (Heorot #1.5)
  • Rolling in the Deep (Hawaiian Heroes Book 2)
  • The Backup Plan
  • Animal Attraction (Hot in Hollywood, #2)
  • The Wedding Gamble
  • How to Seduce a Bad Boy
  • The Possibility of Us
  • Taking Care of the Target
  • A Goose Creek Christmas (Tales from the Goose Creek B&B #3.5)
  • Courted by her Cougar (Cougar Creek Mates, #3)
  • Among the Poppies
  • Warrior's Seal (Tox Files, #0.5)
  • The Heat is On  (Summer of the Burning Sky, #2)
  • Midnight on the Mississippi (Secrets of the South Mysteries #1)
  • Ruck Me (Irish Rugby #2)
Emily Robertson’s creativity started early in life on stage. Now instead of theatre, she spends her time creating worlds on the page for others to enjoy. As an avid reader, she enjoys reading New Adult and Contemporary Romance as much as she does writing them. When her dog isn’t keeping her company in her office, she might be anywhere. She’s recently learned all about baseball when her son took up ...more

Portwood Brothers (5 books)
  • Playing it Cool (Portwood Brothers, #1)
  • Playing with Fire (Portwood Brothers, #3)
  • Playing for the Win (Portwood Brothers, #4)
  • Playing for her Heart (Portwood Brothers, #5)