Start by marking “A Stranger in a Strange Land” as Want to Read:
A Stranger in a Strange Land

A Stranger in a Strange Land

'a stranger in a strange land' speaks of loneliness, longing and love; of broken dreams, deep faith and family ties

judy croome’s poetry—stark and complex, profound and brutal—explores cats and cancer; race and gender; nature, technology and being vegetarian

this volume of poetry deals with challenging themes, but also contains an acceptance of life’s ups-and-downs
Published 2015 by Aztar Press

To ask other readers questions about A Stranger in a Strange Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Stranger in a Strange Land

Claire Robyns
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another stunning volume from Ms. Croome. These poems are vivid and absorbing and deliver a punch that will make you see, make you feel, make you understand even when you don't want to, but there's a good balance, enough to soothe your soul along the way. What I love about Ms. Croome's poetry is the beautiful written prose with bared intensity that doesn't shy from harsh realities and experiences. I always come out from the other side feeling slightly shattered and a lot more awake to my world an ...more
Angela
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book of poems...not my cup of tea, but was nice reading! Love to read more from this author!
Brendan
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a promotional copy through the First Reads program.

A lot of poetry here: 114 poems over 121 pages. It starts on page 1 (yay) and has excerpts from her other works at the back. It's a quick read - two sessions for me. There's some good material, more than enough for my spotlight section below. As for the not so good, she drifts into prose territory from time to time, and can be too vague and confusing. Two of my favorites are about her cat, and it's not because I'm a cat person; it's
Kay Buckley
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Judy Croome's 'A Stranger in a Strange Land' is a series of poems that shows her exploring what it is to be human. Judy Croome's heartfelt humanity and humility is shown in poems such as 'Gratitude' and 'Hey, We're Not All Bad'.

For me, however, it is in her lyric poems where she relates her own personal experiences with difficult mother-in-laws and childlessness that she is more effective. In these poems she uses form to capture the tension between mind and heart.

Certainly, this is
Naomi
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this volume because there is a large variety of poems covering different topics - many of these poems made me feel strong emotions. Either I cried, or I squirmed - the vegetarian poems will make most meat eaters squirm - or I laughed or I got angry, but whatever the poem was about, most of them I enjoyed. There were some poems I enjoyed less than others, but overall, the collection was moving and made me think about old topics in new ways. Although the poems are based in South Africa t ...more
Leonie Anderson-steinhauer
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another exquisitely crafted volume of poetry from Judy Croome, a Stranger in a Strange Land explores the whole range of human emotions and conditions, and a myriad of topical subjects that will surely touch a chord in every reader. Some poems are a joyful celebration of life; others a harrowing dissection of the soul. Each of the poems in this collection is a unique and sparkling gem in its own right, and as a whole, this volume makes for a riveting reading experience.
Joanne
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I really enjoyed most of these poems. Some of them were incredibly depressing and others were incredibly preachy (I will not be guilted for enjoying a burger every once in a while, dammit!), but even those ones were poignant and well-written.
Gabby Machell
April
Olimpia
Dawn Obrien
Jul 19, 2015
Judy Croome lives and writes in Johannesburg, South Africa. A vegetarian, Judy loves her family, cats, exploring the meaning of life, chocolate, cats, rainy days, ancient churches with their ancient graveyards, cats, meditation and solitude. Oh, and cats. Judy loves cats (who already appear to have discovered the meaning of life.)

Judy co-authored "Street Smart Taxpayers (Juta Law, 2017) with her