Start by marking “Write Characters Your Readers Won't Forget (Toolkits for Emerging Writers Book 1)” as Want to Read:

"I just don't care enough about your character."

Write Characters Your Readers Won't Forget is a toolkit for addressing that issue. Packed with 30 exercises, abundant examples, and practical strategies, this guidebook will help you write unforgettable characters who "come alive" on the page, create compelling dialogue, and chart more breathtaking emotional journeys for your characters.

S
Published April 2nd 2015 by Westmarch Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Write Characters Your Readers Won't Forget, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Write Characters Your Readers Won't Forget

Start your review of Write Characters Your Readers Won't Forget (Toolkits for Emerging Writers Book 1)
Noelle Brighton
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a gem! It's meant to be used, not just read, and it is full of insightful advice for writers on character creation as well as exercises that provide in-depth learning tools that can bring writers closer to their story in other ways. I highly recommend this author's work - he also writes compelling fiction.
Devon
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
I tend to not read books about writing, if only because they generally tend to not be that helpful at all. The help I'm looking for, the answers I'm seeking, aren't to be found. Even so, either because I'm stubborn, or naive, I keep looking, so I keep reading books on writing craft.

But, guys, I finally found the right one.

Stant Litore's Write Characters Your Readers Won't Forget is a small book, but densely packed with information and examples. You won't find meaningless filler here. He makes his points
Joy Pixley
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
For a short book, this packs in a lot of great insight into how to think about and develop your characters. I tend to start by thinking through a character's whole backstory and current predicament, so it was interesting to see that he doesn't get there until halfway through the book. Instead he starts with the heart of what will make readers "fall in love with" your character -- not what they look like, or their mannerisms, or what their background is, but who they are at a much deeper level, a ...more
Tintinrulz
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone who has a story to tell.
"Write Characters Your Readers Won't Forget" by Stant Litore is a slim, but incredibly focused intensive writing course concerning character creation. It's an excellent book filled with delicious writing wisdom. Included herein, are 3o writing exercises of differing difficulty levels. None of which I've yet attempted. They will challenge and encourage you to be thoughtful and honest in your character creation, two hallmarks of a true storyteller. I'm looking forward to applying myself.
TJ
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A no nonsense book. I hate reading 150 page plus, how to books of minimal useful information with filler that has no context. This book gets straight to the point with helpful exercises that can improve your writing instead of hindering it.
Alexandra Nichole
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Litore provides effective exercises and questions to boost writers’ knowledge of their characters’ lives, and he shines a light on nuances of character building many of us may not have considered.

This was a well-written and helpful text, and I would recommend it for writers of any skill level because there is bound to be something you haven’t considered about character-creation before.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well Litore knows his audience; I am guilty of what the last chapter discuss
J. Pinto
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you follow the practical advice in this book, your characters will come to life on the page. This book helps you think about why human beings act and feel the way they do and how their strengths, weaknesses, likes and dislikes, habits, secret fears, behaviors, and motivations are intertwined. Even as an author, you'll watch in amazement as your characters rise up off the pages of your book and live out the moments of personal power that will make them memorable to readers long after your stor ...more
David Lamb
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
From my current perspective as a begining writer, this is a very good book that teaches many interesting and important things about writing great characters. It would be a great book for me if I had reached a higher level of skill before reading it. For me, many the skills it teaches are aspirational rather than practical. Some of the exercises and ideas fit my current level of skill, so this is well worth the time for a beginner. Once I have mastered those, it will be time to return to the book ...more
Miguel Ángel Alonso Pulido
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: no-ficcion
Uno de los aspectos más importantes de toda historia, puede que el que más, son los personajes de la misma. Si no tienes personajes memorables para que el lector se preocupe por ellos, lo tienes crudo. En este libro podrás encontrar muchas claves para desarrollar tus personajes, hacerlos tridimensionales y potenciar su relación con otros elementos de la historia. Muy muy recomendable para todos los que quieran aprender más sobre el arte y ciencia de contar historias.
Carrow Brown
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like this as a resource when it comes to creating memorable characters. The author knows who needs to read the book and provides the insight needed to help his readers. Easy read, has a lot of insight when it comes to character creation. There are also exercises in this for the reader to toy with to help them understand character background, interests, and so on.
Ameerah Cooper
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great tools!

This book was very beneficial. I enjoyed all of the exercises. I was able to learn and understand how to fully develop my characters. I was able to learn how to connect with my readers. This book is highly recommended for inspiring and current writers. This gave me the motivation I need to become successful in my story telling and creativity.
Jamie Blankenship
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Helpful exercises

This book was nice because it had a lot of helpful exercises, that even if you didn’t actually write them down, allowed for easy application to my current work in progress. The most useful section I found was the section on settings and using settings to enhance emotions. Overall, quick and easy read that provided a lot of helpful insight.
Marie Pinkham
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wealth of information for improving your writing skills!

I loved the advice given in this book. Practical steps for improving your writing. Can't wait to practice these tips.
Dave Wagner
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Lots of great info. I took lots of notes...
Rachel
I read this for a class. It had some useful information, but I can't tell how much I got out of it or didn't.
Summer
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Writing characters

The author seems well read so offers good advice, a lot of focus on making emotions physical or visible which is important
Aaron
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some of the chapters here truly help reinforce good reading and writing habits that we often label as mere common sense. You'll thank yourself later if you decide to read even half of this informative book.
R.J. Seymour
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this as I have an ever growing collection of Non-Fiction novels on writing. This was a short book, to the point and full of exercises and examples. It helps I think that many of the examples come from books or stories that are very what I would call common knowledge to today's writers and readers. I didn't do all of the exercises, but I can see where the ones I didn't do would be useful, and I found several of the ideas/chapters very enlightening when looked at using a different angle tha ...more
Dean
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy reading and collecting books on books and books on writing. My newest is: Write Characters Your Readers Won't Forget by Stant Litore. A complicated subject which Stant manages to explain in understandable terms for any writer who is just starting out. Old pro's may also get some good from this one. Read it, do the writing exercises he suggests and you'll learn while having some fun throwing down words.
CL
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I've read on writing characters, period. It's probably not a beginner's book, but for someone who has a manuscript (or 5) to work with, it's packed full of eye-opening tips and techniques for creating characters you don't want to turn away from, focusing especially on their strengths and weaknesses that the author points out are often two sides of the same coin. Well worth a read and a highlighter!
Lois
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Exercises were Powerful

The character exercises were out of the box and insightful.
I finally understand the making of a character arc and now know where to go back and add reinforcements to show my protagonists drive.
Gwendolyn Washington
Did not enjoy... To abstract.
Francisca Todi
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-craft
Short, to the point and useful. Packed with great examples and exercises.
Jerry
Feb 04, 2019
A. M. Kimber
Dec 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Creating Life (The Art of World Building, #1)
  • Tamed (The Dark Necessities, #2)
  • Taken (The Dark Necessities, #1)
  • How to Plan, Outline, and Write Your Novel in Thirty Days
  • Salt & Stone (Fire & Flood, #2)
  • Merriam-Webster's Rhyming Dictionary
  • Hunger for Dystopian: Sampler
  • The Film Photography Handbook: Rediscovering Photography in 35mm, Medium, and Large Format
  • Getting Started in Photography: A Complete Beginner's Guide to Taking Great Pictures
  • Medium Format Film Photography
  • Fire & Flood (Fire & Flood, #1)
  • We Can Remember It for You Wholesale
  • The Professor
  • A Hidden Fire (Elemental Mysteries, #1)
  • A World Without Heroes (Beyonders, #1)
  • Clans of the Alphane Moon
  • Equal Parts (Supernova #1)
  • Time Out of Joint
Stant Litore is the author of Ansible, The Running of the Tyrannosaurs, The Zombie Bible, and Dante’s Heart. Besides science fiction and fantasy, he has written the writers’ toolkits Write Worlds Your Readers Won’t Forget and Write Characters Your Readers Won’t Forget, as well as Lives of Unstoppable Hope and Lives of Unforgetting, and has been featured in Jeff Vandermeer’s Wonderbook: An Illustra ...more