Start by marking “1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations” as Want to Read:
1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations

1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations

Over 1,000 journal pages presented in one beautiful full-color bookJournals offer their makers a safe place to dream, doodle, rant, and reinvent themselves. They offer viewers rich, visual inspiration. There is a fascination with these revealing and often beautiful pages of self-exploration and personal expression. Journals offer a tantalizing, voyeuristic view of an inter ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Quarry Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about 1,000 Artist Journal Pages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1,000 Artist Journal Pages

Journal to the Self by Kathleen AdamsThe New Diary by Tristine RainerLife's Companion by Christina BaldwinJournalution by Sandy GrasonThe Artist's Way by Julia Cameron
best journal books
24 books — 24 voters
1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse by Garth JohnsonFa la la la Felt by Amanda Carestio1000 Jewelry Inspirations (mini) by Sandra SalamonyBoho Style Jewelry by Laura Beth LoveLearning to Weave by Deborah Chandler
CREATE!
150 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Suzy
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Ta-da! It;s one-and-a-half years since I first started reading this book. It has been on my art-supplies table the whole time (it became a sort of coffee-table book). Meagan got me this quirky book--1,000 pages of art-journal pages from different artists. It's a little oversized, half-way between hard and paper back, and in full color. It is a full-immersion book, like walking through an art museum dense with paintings that are so intriguing they swallow you up. I spent a lot of time with this b ...more
Mejrmom
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Excellent prompts for new or seasoned art journaler in the beginning, then, literally an art-gallery of artist journal pages from all over the world.
Beautifully done with great color quality.
Love the layout.
Lots of new artists to check out!

(um, I have a few pieces in the book too)... But really, I would have bought and loved it just the same!

Elaine D
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i found this terribly inspirational. It was outstanding to find so much lovely art in one place and to think it came from personal journals. As I paged through it, I made notes of artists and techniques I wanted to try. I was a little disappointed I didn't know any of the artists though.
pure love.
Emi
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book is good
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
More an experience than a book- I took both pleasure and inspiration from it.
Chris
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Exactly what the title says! :)
Kevin Anderson
So much inspiration!
Erinn Batykefer
Feb 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: art, non-fiction, design
I liked this book as an intro to the concept of art journaling-- basically the practice of keeping a visual diary. The journal pages themselves occupy most of the book, and some are stunning. But many are kind of boring, and overall, the text didn't seem to know quite what it wanted to be: a guide to the practice? If so, there is only one page with some half-hearted getting-started suggestions, and that doesn't seem to really cover it. A catalog of journal pages? Well, that certainly occupies th ...more
Katy
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Personally I found this book bright colourful and interesting, various styles and techniques from various artists, it gave me quite a few idea for what to do for a sketchbook project during the break between collage and University.

Yet I also found the book to become repetitive their were a few stand out pages, but somehow many of the pages seemed to just blend together as if and to be quite frank sometimes I couldn't tell one artist from another.

I must confess that this book has been sitting u
Bgordonsgirl
Jul 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Thhis book is fabulous! If you are at all interested in keeping a journal, this book is full of inspiration. It consists of 1,000 journal pages from people all over the world. If you are interested in how people express themselves, this book will fascinate you. If you are interested in seeing how you "rate" as an artist, especially if you don't think of yourself as a full-fledged one yet, this is for you. Everyone I have shown this book to is impressed. It's a bit like a short-story book. One ca ...more
Sonya
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book!The perfect inspiration for new or experienced artists. I like the page of prompts at the front of the book. I have not used them yet, but they are great to see and think about what you may do with your pages or journal. I like that there are no rules and the book is not separated into categories of pages instead it is just a rich photo book for artists that work in all mediums. I strongly recommend this book for anyone, who loves beautiful artwork. I have had this book for about a ye ...more
Elizabeth A
Jan 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: art, 2015, non-fiction
I'm on a roll with creative, artistic books lately, and revisited this one again. It is a collection of journal pages from various artists, and is a good source of inspiration. I loved this book the first time I read it many years ago, but this time around, found that I merely liked it. Fun, and colorful, but not what I need anymore I guess. Maybe because there is so much available on the web today.
Pascale
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is probably a personal favorite among all published art journaling books. The author solicited artists from around the United States and even from as far as Brazil and Australia to send in examples of their journal art, and as a result, this full-color book is filled with great examples of absolutely amazing art journal pages. (My favorite pages are Art Velarde’s cartoon pages.)
Bea Turvey
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another compendium of artist's sketches from the US and Europe. It only notes the artist and country and it would have been nice to have had more info, but then the book would have been cumbersome to handle.
Another book to sit and gaze at in wonder...many hours are required to fully appreciate the work.
Rachel Ann Brickner
This book is full of beautiful and interesting journal entries. I find it most useful to open up to pages randomly when struggling with writing and journaling and seeing what happens from there. A friend let me borrow it, so unfortunately I have to give it back to her, but I have a feeling I will be purchasing / coming back to it sometime in the near future.
Ab
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book inspires me to artify my journals, in addition to just getting or making a journal/blank book to do up artsy style like these amazing pages!! I'm jealous of the creativity that just fills the pages ...
Rachel Weingarten
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was the book that finally fed my obsession with art journals. A wonderful collection of creative efforts from artists with different style and approaches. It made the idea accessible instead of something I wanted to try someday. Beautiful book.
Joe
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too small to view and appreciate

Pictures were entirely too small on an ebook. This presentation did not give each artists work a fair way of being seen. It became relentlessly boring after ten pages.
Jessie
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
perusing actually. it's a visual rather than a literary experience.

i loved looking through this & will likely get my own copy. it is really inspiring to look at the personal, graphical ramblings of other creative minds. it has inspired me to take up journaling again & use it in a new way.
Crystal
Jul 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
It's so inspiring to look through these pages! Definitely a great source for journaling ideas. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that a few of the pages are repeated, sometimes not even crediting the correct artist, which bothered me a bit. :)
Ann Diaz
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is like Sabrina Ward Harrison's book 'Spilling Open', but add hundreds more artists to it and hundreds more pages. Awesome inspiration for journal keepers.
Monica
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
An excellent collection of inspiration. Plus there's artist contact info in the back for every one of the artists!
Stefanie Girard
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally eye-candy and so inspiring!
Clarice
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
So many beautiful pages!
Mikaelyn
Feb 28, 2010 rated it liked it
I was really hoping this would kick start me into to keeping a journal again. Did not.
Ellen
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's a constant source of inspiration!
Judy
Mar 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
a lot of inspiration in a small space
Embee
Nov 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Yet another book I saw at the bookstore which fascinated me... I'm currently charged with the desire to be creative.
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks  Albums Made Simply Beautiful
  • True Vision: Authentic Art Journaling
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • 1000 Journals Project
  • Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring and Creating Personal Pages
  • Kaleidoscope: Ideas & Projects to Spark Your Creativity
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up & Create! Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • Artist Trading Card Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • Journal Bliss: Creative Prompts to Unleash Your Inner Eccentric
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • Altered Curiosities: Assemblage Techniques & Projects
  • Collage Unleashed
  • Art Journals and Creative Healing: Restoring the Spirit Through Self-Expression
  • Secrets of Rusty Things: Transforming Found Objects Into Art
Dawn DeVries Sokol is the author and designer of 10 books on doodling and art journaling, including Art to Start Doodling (Abrams, 2017), Doodle Zen (Abrams, 2016), A World of Artist Journal Pages (Abrams, 2015), Year of the Doodle (Abrams, 2015), The Doodle Circle (Abrams, 2013), and Art Doodle Love (Abrams, 2013). She has also illustrated and written a series of board books (Pet Palooza™, Gibbs ...more
“saying, with a metaphoric hand wave to the future, ‘Hey,” 0 likes