Start by marking “Getting Started in Value Investing” as Want to Read:
Getting Started in Value Investing

Getting Started in Value Investing

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  87 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
An accessible introduction to the proven method of value investing An ardent follower of Warren Buffett-the most high-profile value investor today-author Charles Mizrahi has long believed in the power of this proven approach. Now, with Getting Started in Value Investing, Mizrahi breaks down this successful strategy so that anyone can learn how to use it in his or her own i ...more
Published November 9th 2007 by Wiley (first published October 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Started in Value Investing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Started in Value Investing

Joey
Aug 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A great starter kit to value investing (fitting title), but flawed in valuation methods. I spoke with the author a few times, and he's not a fan of DCF and this comes through in his book as he uses relies on EPS and somewhat arbitrary P/E multipliers to determine future value of stocks.

With that said, I have no complaints about this book for someone looking to wrap their heads about what value investing is and how to get started. It's easy reading, well-organized, not too technical, yet full of
Jason
Mar 18, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a good overview of what Value Investing is. He parrots himself throughout the book and at times you wonder how short the book would be if he only stated an idea once.

His method is not the only one out there to estimate the intrinsic value of stocks, but it gives you an idea of the things that you need to look into. Once you set up a spreadsheet, the method just becomes combing through the annual reports of the companies that you are interested in.

As a novice investor, this was a worthwil
Marshall
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: money, non-fiction
Value investing is like the Aikido of investing, using the volatile market forces to the investor's advantage. Simple in theory, difficult in practice. This book does a fabulous job at showing just how simple it really is, but also that it's not for the faint of heart.

I've read several books on value investing, and this is only book I've found that goes beyond the philosophy and breaks it down to the nuts and bolts. That said, it does repetitively hammer away on the philosophy.
Jonathan
Jan 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you're only going to read one book on investing, this would be a good one. Another older book with a great reputation (which I have not yet read) and on which this book is largely based is Graham and Dodd's "Security Analysis". Stock market investing will always be risky, but it can actually be much simpler and safer if you take a rational approach to it like these guys all do.
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dad
Shelves: finance
The first 8 chapters were interesting, but I felt like I either already knew what he was saying, or was being convinced of a theory to which I already subscribed. Chapters 9 and 10 though seem super useful. Now I just have to use what I've learned...
Neeraj Sharma
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is wonderful book having essence of multiple books, references with short and concise information. I admired the way Charles wrote it making relevant, resourceful and interesting at the same time.
Tom
Mar 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you want to learn about Benjamin Graham's style of value investing, this is a must read! Actually, if you want to learn a successful investing strategy, then read this book!!! It is well written and easy to read. I highly recommend this book!!!
Terrance
Aug 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is definately the first book to read if you're getting into value investing. Reading a Benjamin Graham or Warren Buffet book can be very confusing. This book will introduce you to the subject of value investing in an easy and noncomplex manner.
Julian Bu
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it
nothing wrong, but very basic material on value investing.
Dreamybee
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I think this is a great starter for anyone considering investing in stocks. Lots of good information that is easy to understand.
Derrick