Start by marking “Redemption Accomplished and Applied” as Want to Read:
Redemption Accomplished and Applied

Redemption Accomplished and Applied

Murray explores the biblical passages dealing with the necessity, nature, perfection, and extent of the atonement, and goes on to identify the distinct steps in the Bible's presentation of how the redemption accomplished by Christ is applied progressively to the life of the redeemed.
Published December 12th 1955 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company (first published November 30th 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Redemption Accomplished and Applied, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redemption Accomplished and Applied

Start your review of Redemption Accomplished and Applied
Adam Calvert
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, favorites
Read this book, and read it again.

This is by far one of the greatest works I've ever read on the subject concerning the very heart of the Christian faith: redemption. Systematically going through the aspects of both the accomplishment of redemption and its application to the believer, Murray leaves the believer with nothing but a humble fear and an unquenchable joy because of the person and work of Christ the Savior.

The book is laid out as follows:

Part 1: Redemption Accomplished

1. The Necessity
Grace
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read the “accomplished” half for Doctrine of Christ. Murray’s care for precision and honoring the biblical text are an inspiration and rebuke.
Jordan Shirkman
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
60 years after its first edition, 'Redemption Accomplish and Applied' is a deep, beautiful explanation of Christ's work on the cross. I have a greater appreciation for what Jesus has done and the implications in my life after reading this. It's not a simple read, but the heavy portions are worth pushing through. A compelling case for penal substitution and the Reformed perspective on redemption and its application.
Samuel Parkison
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is amazing. Murray does a great job at offering the bare bones arguments for definite atonement, but more importantly, he does so in a deeply doxological way. This is theology at its finest because it isn't stoic, it's exuberant. I'm so glad that at the cross, Christ didn't merely die to make salvation possible, he died to save.
Madison
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book certainly isn't for the faint of heart in regard to the heaviness of the content, but it is a beautiful overview of the atonement in the view of the Reformed tradition. This is a great book for those who want to understand Reformed theology, the atonement, and the process of salvation on a deeper level. Murray gently leads the reader to beautiful conclusions about Christ's predestinating love. I highly recommend this book!
Miaoling
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Justin
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
5-star content. 3-star delivery. Maybe the poor delivery is due to the era of authorship, the country of origin, or just my own stupidity compared to Murray’s obvious and exceeding brilliance — regardless, this was a tough one for me to unpack, but very worth the time and effort.
Courtney Schmidt
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A challenging yet worthwhile read.
Justin
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seminary level content dressed up in introductory level packaging.
Andrew Fendrich
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-bookshelf
Weighty book on the atonement. Difficult to chew through. Sometimes a bit too verbose, but if you don't mind that, it's an excellent look at the atonement of Christ. Very biblical.
Jeff Wiesner
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A phenomenal re-read. It's worth the price of admission for the section on Christ's active and passive obedience, limited atonement, effectual calling, and glorification. From beginning to end, God gets all glory!
Jeff Hill
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-my-library
Murray’s book falls neatly into two parts: 1. Redemption Accomplished and 2. Redemption Applied. In the first section Murray expounds upon the necessity, nature, perfection and extent of Christ’s atoning work. The second section deals with numerous ways that Christ’s redemption is applied to us. They include: regeneration, adoption, sanctification, union with Christ, glorification, etc. Take up and read friends, for this is a very profitable book!
Franklin Lucky
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tough read, well worth it.
Peter Jones
Aug 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
An excellent treatment of the reformed view of salvation. He works through why Christ had to die and what he did when he died. I think his section on the extent of the atonement was pretty good. He then goes into what benefits the elect get through the crucifixion/resurrection and how we receive those benefits. He chapter on union with Christ was also excellent. It was clear union with Christ brings with it things all the benefits of salvation. Union with Christ is salvific in the fullest sense ...more
Dan
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rts
Solid overview of the work of Christ and the application of that work in the life of the individual believer. Really fleshes out the implications of getting the logical order incorrect. I think readers could be better served if he began this section on the ordo salutis with Union with Christ as the foundation instead of discussing it at the end. Also wish he said more about the corporate aspects of our salvation (being grafted into a community of believers), instead of just the individual ...more
Jonathan
Feb 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
While the author may be a very solid theologian, he is not a very good writer. I’ve read many, many books by Schaeffer, Sproul, Lewis, Pearcy, Bonhoeffer, Chesterton, Piper and more — Murray is by far the most difficult author I have read. At times, it would appear that he cares less about communication than he does about his arcane syntax and structure. For me, whatever substance he was trying to communicate got lost in his form, or lack of it.
Jeff Boettcher
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There is a reason that this book is a theology classic. Murray explains the key concepts of the Biblical teaching of the Christians redemption by Christ with compelling clarity. I was regularly brought to tears as I read.
Darby Stouffer
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! Amazing! Fabulous!
David Westerfield
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent, concise theological work on Christ's atoning work on the cross and how it is applied to the life of believers to save them, from its very inception until its final consummation. It is absolutely essential for believers to understand the depths of the value of the work of Christ on the cross and how that saves them, from the first granting of faith, to our glorification with Christ at His revelation when He returns to judge the world in righteousness. If we do not ...more
Kirk Miller
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lead a group of men in my church through this book. A lot of them found the initial chapters a bit more difficult to weigh through. I would agree that part 1 felt more polemical, and could feel a bit more technical or abstract for those less familiar with this sort of writing or subject matter. However, part 2 seems to take a shift in tone. In these latter chapters especially, one of the things I appreciated about this book was the doxological tone and orientation naturally woven throughout. As ...more
Alyssa Bohon
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Meaty and wonderful. Murray is concise in his explanations and arguments, and leads the reader to exult in the God who perfectly performs His work of redeeming mankind for His glory. The first part is more apologetic and the second more devotional. Worth reading and rereading.

"When Christ is presented to lost men in the proclamation of the gospel, it is as Saviour he is presented, as one who ever continues to be the embodiment of the salvation he has once for all accomplished. It is not the
Justin Effler
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The gospel, while good news, is loaded (in a beautiful and deep way). John Murray has shared wonderful foundational information that could be easily overlooked within the gospels of the application of salvation, or redemption.

He goes in depth on the nature of atonement and the nature of redemption (hence, the title, Redemption Accomplished and Applied).

Effectual Calling
Union with Christ
Glorification

In this order, he
Leah Unverferth
Solid theology. However, I felt even when I completely agreed with the author, he was arguing with me. Perhaps this is due to the tone of the book (too many "therefore"s and "thus"es) and going into too great of detail for something that was very easily proven (i.e., overly complicating things). I also felt that, at times, the author was attempting to be so gracious towards a differing position that he actually undermined his own. Chapter one contains the prime example where he discusses the ...more
Simon Wartanian
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. A very well written and argued case for the Reformed understanding of the ordo salutis (order of salvation) and historia salutis (history of salvation). It was very well biblically argued, in my opinion and it was a very enjoyable read.

I liked the fact how he went toe-to-toe and argued for the controversial doctrine of Limited Atonement, or better called--Particular Redemption, among other doctrines.

The book is very well written and not hard to understand. It is very quotable, which shows
Mark Trigsted
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: seminary-rts
Read for the third time at least over the years as part of my Apologetics Class at RtS Dallas.

If you are calvinist and read one book this year... Or if you are not a calvinist and read one book ever from a calvinist perspective let it be this one...

There is no better treatment on the Trinitarian salvation of sinners than this... God the Father elects, the Son redeems His people (Matt 1:21) and the Holy Spirit regenerates the lost bringing them to faith in the Lord Jesus Christ - The Father
Matt Crawford
If you want to sink your teeth into the outworking of the work of Christ but you think that a Robert Letham is too academic. Or if you think that the Puritans are too wordy. Or if you find the Reformers concentrating on doctrine and not on application, then this is definitely the book you need. There were times that I wish it dug deeper but there are other resources for that. This is a survey of the doctrine. It deals with the processes of the life of the believer. It is a great asset and should ...more
James Ruley
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious, theology
“Redemption: Accomplished and Applied” is a systematic examination of the redemptive process. The first part of the book examines whether the cross was the necessary means of redemption, and what the work of redemption accomplished. The second part of the book discusses the order of redemption. Short and practical, yet deep and thought provoking, this book provides an excellent break down of redemption.
Timothy
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Comprehensive doctrine on the atonement and it's application.
Murray covers this in detail and points out some common mistakes of even evangelical Christians. Too often we sell the gospel short by minimising an aspect of the atonement, and take God's glory away from Him.
Highly recommend reading for all.
Chris Campbell
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
A challenging and faithful exposition of how Christians are saved and how this salvation is then applied to us by God. The language is heavy and occasionally dated ('Romish' as shorthand for Catholic), but the ideas are meticulously arranged for a thorough treatment of the Calvinist view of salvation.
Pat
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The redemption of Christ explained in a way that the lay person can understand, yet develops in-depth explanation of the different steps of redemption in a way that is a good read for the more theologically advanced. Read this book, and read it again.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Attributes of God
  • The Christ of the Covenants
  • The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination
  • The Bruised Reed
  • Finally Alive: What Happens When We Are Born Again?
  • The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment
  • Spiritual Depression: Its Causes and Cure
  • A Quest for Godliness
John Murray was a Scottish-born Calvinist theologian who taught at Princeton Seminary and then left to help found Westminster Theological Seminary, where he taught for many years.

Murray was born in the croft of Badbea, near Bonar Bridge, in Sutherland county, Scotland. Following service in the British Army in the First World War (during which he lost an eye, serving in the famous Black Watch
“With all these considerations in view, the order in the application of redemption is found to be, calling, regeneration, faith and repentance, justification, adoption, sanctification, perseverance, glorification. When this order is carefully weighed we find that there is a logic which evinces and brings into clear focus the governing principle of salvation in all of its aspects, the grace of God in its sovereignty and efficacy. Salvation is of the Lord in its application as well as in its conception and accomplishment.” 2 likes
“The glory of the cross is bound up with the effectiveness of its accomplishment.” 1 likes