Start by marking “Backtalk: 4 Steps to Ending Rude Behavior in Your Kids” as Want to Read:
Backtalk: 4 Steps to Ending Rude Behavior in Your Kids

Backtalk: 4 Steps to Ending Rude Behavior in Your Kids

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  105 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Good discipline = good behavior.
Published March 10th 1998 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about Backtalk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backtalk

Jan 10, 2011 added it
quite good (Wendy was inspired by it), but could seem harsh; advocates firmness, no nonsense
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
I found this book very helpful and informative within it's limited focus.[return] [return]The system in this book reminds me of how friends of mine discipline their children which I much admire. It is simple and easy to implement: recognize, choose consequence, enact, and disengage. The book has chapters for dealing with other adults who don't support your methods, and using the system on college age and adult children. Actually you can use this system on anyone, it is a system based on behaving ...more
Aug 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting-books
I didn't read all of this book, as some of the later chapters aren't applicable for my situation. However, I thought the advice it gave was particularly helpful, especially the idea that I need to recognize backtalk from very early on (I get that my kids backtalk me--but often it begins earlier than I had suspected). Also, it was helpful to think about enforcing consequences more immediately than I had been doing, and then ignorning the ensuing temper tantrum. I see myself as one who enforces co ...more
Janet Terranova
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I needed this book. Excellent advice in very simple and easy terms. Nothing in the book I didn't already know- but needed to be reminded what I need to do to have my home be more peaceful- and it's working! Like everything- it's gets worse initially but quickly turns in a positive direction. Strongly recommend this book to be read, at different stages of your child's development, by all parents/teachers and caregivers.
Ana Sorce
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! It offers examples of how to implement the four step method for children of any age: from toddlers to adults. And the method works! It's a very quick read and a must have reference book for any parent. You just never know when the back talk will strike. The hardest part is to have the guts and strength to actually follow through.
Suzanne Anderson
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Maybe the best parenting book I have ever read, and I have read a lot. Addresses a difficult parenting issue that many parents just live with. The 4 steps are easy to remember. You can remember the 4 steps in the heat of the moment. The guidance on this issue can carry over to many other parenting issues. Fantastic!
Mar 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Didn't apply much to my 7 year old today, but I can see how it would be helpful in teens. Glad I read it early though, got some good tips for stopping any behavior before they start!
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Actually really helpful
Dec 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
كتاب رائع والجميل فيه انه بعد ما تنتهي من اول 50 صفحه تقدر تتنقل في الكتاب على راحتك

افكار حلوه والاحلى اللي كاتبته ام ومعلمه يعني مو طبيب نفسي
شخص يتكلم بلغتنا ويخاطبنا فيها
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to try to implement these methods.
Carol Holder
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Worth a read if you have the problem. I'm seeing immediate improvement - which means an improved quality of life, too.
Oct 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Some very good advice.
Mar 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
One of the best parenting books I've ever read. If you struggle with balktalking kids read this book!
I think the author is a little militant, but generally agree with the premise and approach.
Dec 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
My Mother actually gave me this book. I was complaining about my oldest getting a little bit of attitude. It's a good read though with some good ideas.
Jun 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
I thought the techniques in this book would be good to try for a lot of things, not just backtalk. I also thought it was a better book for mild parental codependency than The Co-Dependent Parent.
Jan 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Some good advice on how to help your child "own" their behavior and consequences, as well as how to remain in control in a firm yet kind way. However, I don't agree with everything in this book.
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
wow. it's a four step process, which helps you effectively implement change. easy and it seems to be working. backtalk starts at age 2 or 3 so get going now.
Christopher Trader
May 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good methodology. Seems logical, and so far efficient.
Joani Hanley
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: highly-recomend
I read this years ago. I recommend this for any person with or without kids. Great self help bool
Sep 20, 2014