Start by marking “The Generational Imperative: Understanding Generational Differences in the Workplace, Marketplace and Living Room” as Want to Read:

This is the comprehensive presentation of generational dynamics in America, from the nation's leading presenter of this topic. It is designed to help businesses and families to understand the powerful influence of generational values and generational attitudes upon Americans' day-to-day and lifelong decisions in the workplace, marketplace, and living room. The Silent Gener ...more
Published August 21st 2007 by Generational Imperative, Inc. (first published August 17th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Generational Imperative, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Generational Imperative

Start your review of The Generational Imperative: Understanding Generational Differences in the Workplace, Marketplace and Living Room
Bill
Jul 08, 2012 added it
What a weird book!

I'll say right up front that I found it to be, in many respects, an awful book. But in one significant respect, it was a fantastic book: it has influenced my thoughts in the days since reading it.

So what made it bad? Well, Mr. Underwood is constantly selling his training. I skipped I think 20 or so pages in the beginning that were completely free of content, they were all sales copy. Even within the main text of the book, there are frequent remarks along the lines of, "This gen
R.L. Walker
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book helping the generations to understand each other better. It also leaves hope for us millenials that we have a lot of potential for good. However, it was not super exciting.
Tom Blumer
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I had the opportunity to hear the author as a keynote speaker at a conference last October in Chicago. He was terrific,so I had high hopes for his book. I have to say, though, that the book leaves me somewhat flat. It has lots of good information, but is less of a cohesive story. A little too much back slapping of his talents at times. If you can get past some of that, and dig out the nuggets, then this is an interesting and informative book.
Keri
Aug 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Good book. I heard this guy speak at a seminar and he was a very good speaker as he should be considering he used to be a sports announcer. He covered the contents of this book in his speech. I can't speak for all generations, but I am a Gen X'er and he is pretty "on target" for my own behaviours in the workplace. I would recommend this book for managers young and old. Know who you are trying to manage before they start to manage you! ...more
Shelly Sievert
Dec 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Overall, this was a good book. I was able to get through it quickly and learned a lot. I liked how the book was laid out - describing the generations, then tips on how to market to them, and then how to recruit them. I learned a lot about my generation, my parents, grandparents and even my little brother and sister.

Considering that this was a business book, I learned alot!
Melanie
Sep 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was a very easy read and on a topic I particularly enjoy. There were some great points regarding working and understanding those in other generations especially since I tend to be on the cusp of GenX and Millenials. Yet everyone likely has some tendencies of other generations too based on family and how they were raised.
Angela Keller
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on the similarities and differences in generations, beginning with Silent Generation and ending with the Millennials. I myself am in Generation X. As a counselor, I found this very insightful as I work with folks from all 4 generations, sometimes in the same family!
Anna
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Really insightful look at the interactions and differences of our generations. Obviously some generalizations are going to occur, but I found it very helpful when trying to understand where other people are coming from.
Tai
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
No one has ever woven together the observations I've made about each generation as this author has. Once you get past his tendency for self-congratulations, this book provides a truly enlightening view of how the communication and philosophical underpinnings of each American generation. ...more
Barbara Meyer

• My Father's Paradise: A Son's Search for His Jewish Past in Kurdish Iraq
  • Moneyland: Why Thieves and Crooks Now Rule the World and How To Take It Back
  • World Order
  • The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine
  • American Sabor: Latinos and Latinas in Us Popular Music / Latinos Y Latinas En La Musica Popular Estadounidense
  • Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance
  • Buyer Personas: How to Gain Insight Into Your Customer's Expectations, Align Your Marketing Strategies, and Win More Business
  • 100 Things Successful People Do: Little Exercises for Successful Living