Start by marking “Picture Writing” as Want to Read:

Picture Writing

This title shows readers how to use descriptive language to create vivid stories for kids. It features Try it Yourself exercises and words of advice from successful authors.
Published January 1st 2003 by Writer's Digest Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Picture Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Picture Writing

Katherine Norland
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book. I enjoyed the section on Plot. I also thought it was good at breaking down the different types of books for different age groups and what the difference was. It gave a lot of examples on books to reference in each age group category. And I walked away with a nice list of "To Dos" to help me with the rewrites on the children's book I'm writing.
Jenny
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Picture Writing by Anastasia Suen (Writer’s Digest Books) PB RRP: $29.95

Just about everything a writer could want to know about writing for kids can be found here. Sections include:
Plot
Character
Setting
Putting it all Together
Look Again and
Appendixes

Each section is then broken up into chapters ranging from such subjects as writing from the intuitive right and logical left brain to preparing a manuscript for mailing. Of particular interest are the story arcs and storyboa
Dyah Rinni
Oct 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: penulis buku anak
Recommended to Dyah by: amazon.com
Shelves: already-read
Ini salah satu buku pegangan saya saat menulis tentang anak-anak dan remaja. Banyak pengetahuan praktis tentang menulis bagi anak-anak yang saya peroleh di sini. Cocok banget buat yang mau nulis buku fiksi ataupun non fiksi buat anak-anak dan remaja. Oh, ya. Ada latihannya juga, lho. *damn.... gue udah kaya' sales buku aja*
Jane Healy
This book was so good, I returned it early to the library and bought my own copy. What an excellent reference/handbook for anyone interested in children's lit. Though it is specifically for writers, it would also be useful to those studying children's lit, especially modern children's lit. Each type of writing for children is explained and defined with understandable examples from recent books.
Stephi K.
Jul 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
I liked how this book had different sections of fiction, non-fiction, and poetry. I could just read about what I was interested in. It would be a great book to read after you have a finished manuscript.
Diane
Jan 28, 2009 is currently reading it
Wonderful lessons on how to write children's stories
Susan Bearman
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, own
Excellent workbook for writers, especially picture book writers. Great prompts. Good beginning book for writers.
Diane Ramirez
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-books
This book also has a lot of good information about writing for children. Useful tools like how to storyboard etc. I also use this book to refer to when writing a piece for kids.
Raquel
rated it it was ok
Sep 13, 2018
Jessica Evans
Jul 07, 2016
From her studio in Northern California, developmental editor Anastasia Suen reads, writes, and edits books for creators of all ages.