Start by marking “Only Spring: On Mourning the Death of My Son” as Want to Read:
Only Spring: On Mourning the Death of My Son

Only Spring: On Mourning the Death of My Son

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  59 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The loss of a child is every parent's most unspeakable fear. Gordon Livingston survived that tragedy not once but twice in a 13-month period, losing one son to suicide and another to leukemia. Only Spring, based on the journal he began keeping when the family received six-year-old Lucas's diagnosis, traces the excruciating ordeal of witnessing his child's courageous battle ...more
Published August 16th 2005 by Da Capo Press (first published April 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Only Spring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only Spring

Yijia Chen
May 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Absolutely touching piece of work.

The author of the book, Gordon Livingston, is a father who witnessed his son Lucas's eventual death from leukemia. Like a lot other parents, he first believed firmly that his son will be an exceptional patient regardless of the past statistics. As the treatment continues, he underwent the binary operation between thorough hope and deep worries as Lucas's symptoms went up and down, though always refused to accept the chance of death. Eventually, Gordon simply hop
Kendra
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is not a book that many people would want to read. It is a parent's worst nightmare, to watch one's child suffer. I picked up this book once after Rachel died and found that I was unable to read it because it was too painful. Then I tried again shortly after our son died suddenly, and that time I couldn't read it because I felt insanely jealous that the father was given 6 years with his son (such a long length!) And yes, he died of cancer but at least they knew what the cause of death was w ...more
Carl
Oct 14, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The writer has been praised for his honesty and clarity in writing about the death of his son, but I feel that many reviewers are reacting to the subject matter not the writing. We learn very little about the writer, his family, and the mother. We learn almost nothing about how any of these people felt. We do not learn anything about leukemia and its treatment, why this particular patient suffered such a devastating graft-versus-host disease reaction, what the alternative are to the treatment he ...more
Jeremy Hornik
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
An illness and grief journal by a psychiatrist whose son died of leukemia. I didn't care for it that much. There were parts that I felt reflected my own experience, but it was buried in a lot of inward reflection that seemed to me like so much navel-gazing. The best section was the final chapter, in which a number of women (not the author) remember the boy and tell stories about him. That was the part I connected with most.
Tina
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This Father's journal is just as the title reads, a Father's journal of mourning his son. I don't believe it is book to read for advise; its a window in this man's experience in losing something he treasured, his child.

He gives us insight to Lucas; a fun, lovable child who handled his circumstances with courage. Dad captures his spirit and honors his son be sharing his memories. I enjoyed reading about Lucas; for me, he is an inspiration in the short life he lived.

Maryann
Sep 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Journal entries of a father faced with losing his son to luekemia. Hard to read because it is sad, but interesting enough to keep reading. A lot of good insight and quotes. It is hard to not admire someone who has faced something so hard and survived. If you have ever dealt with cancer or loss of a child in any way, the book contains a lot of validation for those feelings.
Donna Thomas
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, haunting, inspiring.

Gordon Livingstone's six year old boy is nothing short of amazing. What a tender heart! Interesting that his parenting choices are quite attachment oriented. Research says there's a connection.
Ellen
Aug 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
If you are grieving the death of a loved one, read this book. If you know someone who is in mourning or is second guessing themselves about health care decisions, give them this book.
Meggie