Start by marking “The Complete How-to Guide with Bonus Section on Hooks (Writing Active Setting #1-3)” as Want to Read:

4.77 of 5 stars 4.77  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Now get all three books of the WRITING ACTIVE SETTING series together, plus a bonus additional section on HOOKS!

Have you tried to take your writing skills to the next level but don’t know where to begin?
Do you dread the thought of writing narrative description because as a reader you skip over it when you read novels?

Or are you a writer who ignores Setting description to
Published February 5th 2014 by Cantwell Publishing, LLC (first published February 3rd 2014)

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete How-to Guide with Bonus Section on Hooks

On Writing by Stephen KingThe Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr.Bird by Bird by Anne LamottWriting Down the Bones by Natalie GoldbergEats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss
Best Books on Writing
492nd out of 517 books — 940 voters
On Writing by Stephen KingThe Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr.Stein On Writing by Sol SteinStory by Robert McKeeBird by Bird by Anne Lamott
Books For Writers
81st out of 84 books — 49 voters

More lists with this book...

Rose Lyn
I started with Mary Buckham's Writing Active Setting Book 3, and was planning to get books 1 and 2, and then I saw the set. Everything you need in one place. The bonus hooks section looks like it will be really helpful in my writing. I have gotten through the first section and I already am rethinking my own work. That's what I want in a guide, the increase in my enthusiasm for writing and the excitement when I see myself improving.

The examples Mary uses to illustrate her teaching points make it
Marion

WRITING ACTIVE SETTING
By Mary Buckham

Mary Buckham’s writing know-how book shows how to make a setting rich and alive, a setting that jumps from the page into the reader’s mind and heart. She shows how to revise the first draft setting from a bland narrative exposition into a living breathing setting using fewer rich and powerful words and phrases.

Teaching points show by examples written by great authors, with a peek at how it might have been written in the author’s first draft, and how with a
Tiger
If you know a writer or an aspiring writer, this is the<\B> book set you'll want to buy for them.
Mary Buckham has written the definitive texts for creating fresh, vivid settings and transforming setting into character. Filled with examples, how-to's, and hints.
As I look back on the progress I've made in the craft of writing, I realize just how much I learned from Mary's books.
If you're looking for straightforward advice that will improve your writing today, don't wait any longer to buy the
Debra Elise
This series is Awesome! I've struggled with setting in my latest WIP and found a well thought out craft book(s) in Mary's WRITING ACTIVE SETTING series. It's now out in print, which I ordered even though I already own the ebook versions of Vol. 1-3. She provides great examples and more importantly spot-on instruction that's not weighted down in boring narrative found in other craft books I've read. In a word, or five, THIS IS A MUST HAVE.
Deb Stewart
Excellent series. Really helped me add depth to my settings in my current WIP. Highly recommend!!
Susan Shelley
Writing Active Setting is an essential book for every writer, regardless of their career stage. Broken into three parts; Part I: Characterization and Sensory Detail, Part II: Emotion, Conflict and Backstory, and Part III: Anchoring, Action, as a Character and More, Mary Buckham walks you through all aspects of painting a Setting that will grasp your reader’s attention, anchor them in your story and keep them riveted from beginning to end. Setting is so much more than just where the story takes p ...more
Cynthia
Mary Buckham covers how to use setting to engage readers in your story in this how-to-guide. There are many ways to use setting and she shows the different ways throughout the different parts of the books with many examples. Some of the examples are broken down to show how and why they work. There are also examples of what not to do in your writing.

As I read the book, I had several ideas about how to improve my writing and make the story stronger.

This is a book that you will keep on your library
Murrrmaiyd
Reading WRITING ACTIVE SETTING: THE COMPLETE HOW-TO GUIDE WITH BONUS SECTION ON HOOKS BOX SET gave me so much to think about in regards to improving my own writing. The books are written in a friendly and engaging style, not at all dry or boring as many how-to books can be. There are exercises all throughout the series for you to put her lessons into practice and get an even greater understanding of the methods by applying them to your own writing.

Her samples, taken from a variety of different a
Leigh Hunt
WRITING ACTIVE SETTING: THE COMPLETE HOW-TO GUIDE is officially one of my new writing bibles! Regardless of if you are a seasoned writer or just learning the craft – there is something in this book for everyone. This is definitely a book for the Writing Craft bookshelf!
Mary Buckham writes this book in such an easy and engaging style, it’s hard to put down. There are loads of really good examples of setting, its use, and what sort of impact it makes on the reader.
Learn how to anchor your reader
Nancy Wolter
Mary Buckham's book, Writing Active Settings,is filled with examples of pacing, setting, character description--all the elements which comprise an exciting piece of fiction. This book is a must have book--the best in my writing books library. You rock, Mary!
Marie Dry
Feb 13, 2014 Marie Dry rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All authors
Recommended to Marie by: Cassandra Shaw
While I read this book I wanted to savour every part of it and absorb all the writing advice while at the same time rushing out to apply all the wisdom I was absorbing to my work in progess.
I highly recommend this book to all authors. The examples illustrate the learning points with a clarity that is refreshing after slogging through a few heavy how to books. This book reads like fiction. I talked a non author friend of mine into reading it and she couldn't put it down.
I would give it ten star
Judythe
Outstanding craft series. Clearly guides writers (new or experience) in techniques to use to enhance setting in their writing. If you're a writer, you need the entire series.
Apple
Many helpful hints and examples to take the setting beyond what you see. Active setting can be used to show the character's personality, emotional state, how he/she views the world etc. Active setting can also reveal conflict, backstory, and foreshadowing.

Although not the primary focus of the book, the examples do a good job at changing "telling" into "showing".

This is a powerful tool to enrich your writing and your audience's reading experience.

Parts of the book seemed a little repetitious,
Kaleiyah-P
I like writing fantasy. Yet one of the hardest things I've discovered while learning to write better is that I've seriously neglected my description skills, the very skills I must have to write fantasy, or any genre for that matter. I wanted to get to the good stuff while I wrote my drafts, and that left critical components of my setting behind. Now vagueness plagues my writing with unfortunate regularity, and that has to stop. I need to develop a setting that not only draws my reader into the s ...more
Jody
Should be required reading.

They say those that can't do, teach. Mary B has proven to be the exception. She can do both and do both well. If you've ever taken one of her classes, which is where I purchased my set of Writing Active Setting books, you will understand me when I say she is patient, thorough and thoughtful as an instructor. This same attitude and personality come through in her How To books. They are FULL of examples, which is the best way for me to absorb material. She walks you thr
Linda Andrews
The information is well explained with lots of examples sprinkled throughout. I've read the book twice now and learn something new each time.
Judythe
I read this outstanding craft series individually. Each book clearly guides writers (new or experience) in techniques to use to enhance setting in their writing. If you're a writer, you need the entire series.
CR
The collection of guides offers many modern examples to help beginning writers overcome the basic challenges of writing for the modern reader.
Michael Lee
Jun 02, 2014 Michael Lee marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads and will rate once I have read the book.
Lourdes Taylor
Lourdes Taylor marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
James Winans II
James Winans II is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2015
Betina Kroner
Betina Kroner marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Olivia Helling
Olivia Helling marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Keely
Keely marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
  • One Year to a Writing Life: Twelve Lessons to Deepen Every Writer's Art and Craft
  • The Daily Writer: 366 Meditations To Cultivate A Productive And Meaningful Writing Life
  • The Starter Guide for Professional Writers: How to Write and Market Your First Published Stories
  • Dragon and Judge (Dragonback, #5)
  • Techniques of the Selling Writer
  • Writing in a Nutshell: Writing Workshops to Improve Your Craft (Writing in a Nutshell, #4)
  • The Negative Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Flaws
  • Fire up Your Fiction: An Editor's Guide to Writing Compelling Stories
  • How to Write Faster Than Anyone Better, and Better Than Anyone Faster
  • Telling Details
  • Characters, Settings, and Plots
  • The Memoir Project: A Thoroughly Non-Standardized Text for Writing & Life
  • The Writer's Compass: From Story Map to Finished Draft in 7 Stages
  • Now Write! Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror: Speculative Genre Exercises from Today's Best Writers and Teachers
  • Memoirs of the Bathtub Psychic - The True Story of a Clairvoyant and Her Dogs
  • Beyond Downton Abbey
  • The Editor's Eye: A Practical Guide to Transforming Your Book from Good to Great
USA Today bestselling author Mary Buckham credits her years of international travel and curiosity about different cultures that resulted in creating high-concept urban fantasy and romantic suspense stories. Her newest Invisible Recruit series has been touted for the unique voice, high action and rich emotion. A prolific writer, Mary also co-authors the young adult sci-fi/fantasy Red Moon series wi ...more
More about Mary Buckham...

Writing Active Setting (3 books)
  • Characterization and Sensory Detail (Writing Active Setting #1)
  • Emotion, Conflict and Back Story (Writing Active Setting #2)
  • Anchoring, Action, as a Character and More (Writing Active Setting #3)
Characterization and Sensory Detail (Writing Active Setting #1) Invisible Prison (Alex Noziak #0.5) Emotion, Conflict and Back Story (Writing Active Setting #2) Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story That Sells Invisible Magic (Alex Noziak #1)