Start by marking “Show & Tell in a Nutshell: Demonstrated Transitions from Telling to Showing (Writing in a Nutshell Series, #1)” as Want to Read:

Show & Tell in a Nutshell: Demonstrated Transitions from Telling to Showing

(Writing in a Nutshell #1)

Alternative cover edition
ISBN: 1480234478

*Note: This is a pocket guide. Its trim size is 4" x 6"

Have you been told there's a little too much telling in your novel? Want to remedy it? Then this is the book for you!

Published (first published November 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Show & Tell in a Nutshell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Show & Tell in a Nutshell

Lura
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any writer who struggles with showing versus telling
Shelves: nonfiction, writing
I don't know why I didn't review this book earlier. I read it right after I got it earlier this year.

This little book is a great resource with 16 examples scenes. Each scene has two versions: telling and showing. After reading each scene, I spent a couple of minutes analyzing the showing version to figure out why it works so well and how I can do it. My writing has already improved.

The differences in the two scene versions are obvious. Ms. Bell makes it look so simple. However, telling is easier
Megan Ellis
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful! I learned a lot from this book! This is going to help me out with all my writing in the future!
Alex Cavanaugh
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple and to the point - Jessica really shows you how to show rather than tell with excellent examples. The light bulb will go off and you'll understand!
Aurora
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title of the book: Show & Tell in a Nutshell; Demonstrated Transitions from Telling to Showing

Author: Jessica Bell

Publisher: Vine Leaves Press

Publishing Date: 2012

ISBN: 978-1480234475

Summary:

(from goodreads)

In Show & Tell in a Nutshell: Demonstrated Transitions from Telling to Showing you will find sixteen real scenes depicting a variety of situations, emotions, and charac
Glenn Younger
Makes its point

If you’re a beginner at writing and don’t understand the basic difference between showing and telling, this could be a good start for your understanding.

It’s simple. Straightforward. And even if the showing scenes are sometimes not that well written, they do make their point.
F.D. Green
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Show and tell in a nutshell...

For the love of me I never really understood the concept of show and tell... This short book helped a little... I've read it twice and probably will keep Reading it until I get it right!
Heather
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very useful. Trying to figure out the difference between telling and showing has been an ongoing frustration for me in writing.
Analiesa Adams
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good explanation of the show vs. tell conundrum writers struggle with in their writing. I would recommend putting this one on your book shelves for continuous use.
Anstice Brown
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, owned, non-fiction
One of the most common pieces of advice given to aspiring writers is to ‘show, not tell’. But what exactly does this mean? The phrase is repeated throughout countless blogs, articles and writing handbooks, yet it is seldom explained in enough detail to be beneficial. For a long time, I had the vague notion that it encouraged writers to explain a character’s actions rather than to describe their thoughts and feelings, but I never fully understood how I could implement this as a technique in my wr ...more
Margo Dill
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What do writers like to get in their holiday stockings? How about helpful writing books, such as Show and Tell in a Nutshell: Demonstrated Transitions from Telling to Showing? How many of us have had our manuscripts critiqued and have also heard during that critique, "You are telling too much. You need to show"? So, how does Jessica Bell's book help writers learn to show and not tell in just a little over one hundred pages?

Jessica's entire idea is to create a handbook for writers that shows how
Angela Mackintosh

“Show, don’t tell.”

If you’re a writer, you’ve probably heard that dreaded phrase at least once. I remember hearing it quite often when I first started writing fiction, but no matter how many times someone tried to explain it to me, I just didn’t completely get it. Like many women writers, I started writing at a young age in my diary--and diaries are all telling--so I became accustomed to writing confessionals about my feelings. Well, that doesn’t make for compelling fiction!

What I really neede
Rebekah Dedmon
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers of every kind.
Recommended to Rebekah by: A Friend.
SHOW & TELL IN A NUTSHELL: Demonstrated Transitions from Telling to Showing by Jessica Bell is brilliant. It is a pocket-guide reference for writers that need help with the skill of showing instead of telling in their works.

Personally, I feel as though every aspiring author has been told at one point in time, “To show and not tell.” I know that for me, at first I could not grasp that concept and would become easily frustrated with it. This quick reference guide shows you how to transition a
Stephen Tremp
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Jessica Bell's Show & Tell in a Nutshell: Demonstrated Transitions from Telling to Showing over the course of weekend. And the timing couldn't be better as I'm finishing the draft for my current WIP, the third book of a trilogy.

I've noticed in my first two books there were a number of scenes that could have been better communicated by showing rather than telling. One of my main goals this time is to write scenes that show rather than tell. After reading Show & Tell in a Nutshell,
Lee Dunning
Jul 19, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was concise, so yes, I guess it is aptly named. Don't let the 102 pages fool you, none of the pages has more than a paragraph on it, and the others are a page with words pertinent to the scene (five words at the most), a page with a "tell" version of a scene (only 2-5 sentences) and then a page with the "show" version of the scene (the paragraph). The last chapter (if you can call it that) is a collection of words that you are then supposed to work into your own "showing" scene.

Based on the r
Amie McCracken
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Show and Tell in a Nutshell by Jessica Bell is a writing craft book that is practical. Jessica shows the reader how to show in a very practical and dynamic way. She gives examples of telling and then switches them right around to showing. She also provides exercises and blank sheets of paper for the reader to try it all out on their own.

I could not believe the amount of scenes Jessica managed to create with such flair and intensity. The tone of each was so very different. I have never seen such
Melissa Maygrove
This is an easy-to-understand book on fiction writing, which focuses on the skill of 'showing versus telling.' The author gives several examples of passages written in bland telling form followed by the same scene once showing techniques have been applied.

Skill level: Is this for you?
While I think most writers could learn something from this book and I strongly encourage new writers to read it, it's my opinion that the lessons are geared for beginning fiction writers. I'd been writing and study
Gregory Lamb
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Community of fiction writers
Recommended to Gregory by: Kindle Review
I didn't hunt this book down. It was recommended to me, so I snatched it up immediately after reading the blurb. When I read Bell's introduction it was like looking in a mirror. I've been critiqued on occasion for having produced too much telling and not enough showing in my fictional works.

I nearly gave up the search for a concise and practical set of tools like the ones Bell offers in her quick to read, easy to use manual. I now have a new found confidence to get back to working on revising on
Laurel Garver
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read with vibrant examples of how a passage can be transformed from "telling" readers about emotions to showing them. If underwriting and bland characterization are your Achilles heel, this little pocket guide is sure to be useful.

I have to admit I was expecting a bit more "how to" alongside the examples. Bell takes an intuitive rather than analytic approach, so it will resonate with some learning styles more than others.

What I'd love to see is a companion book for us who struggle with
Tracey Pedersen
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good information and learning to show, not tell is a fabulous skill for a writer. This was a very short book and I thought there could have been a lot more information included. I will say that in the examples between telling and then showing felt like the telling part was just a summary rather than a written piece. Then the showing was the full part with dialogue, etc. I would have liked two actual examples to compare. Worth adding this to your writing knowledge.
Addicted to Books
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-kindle, writing
3 stars

I found this book to be useful when I first started writing. I rarely give short books 3 stars but this one deserves it. She waters it down and gives examples.

I would challenge you one step further. Rewrite the the telling scenes into your own version of showing.

or look through some books you know had a lot of telling and see as a whole how it failed thewhole book or certain parts

Indie writers , please give this book a go.
Joana Arteaga
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Show & Tell in a Nutshell is a very short book and I finished reading it in a day. It has 16 different scenes explaining how to show the reader what you want them to feel instead of just telling them. I really enjoyed all the examples of how showing instead of telling makes a book more interesting. This is a great book to help you become a better writer.
Susan Swiderski
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Writers are frequently instructed to "show, not tell", but before we can follow that advise, we first have to understand it. Bell's brilliant nuts-and-bolts examples provide just what every writer needs to not only understand the concept, but to implement it. Know why? She doesn't just tell us about this concept... she shows us. Kinda fitting, dontcha think?
Kristine
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous book for those of us still learning the craft of writing. Bell offers sixteen examples of scenes written by telling and then by showing and then challenges you as a writer/reader to do the same exercise for yourself. For people who learn from examples/modeling best (like me), this is a wonderful way of learning. Definitely worth the read.
Medeia Sharif
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To make action scenes and characters come alive, you show instead of tell. With sixteen examples of show versus tell and writing exercises at the end, SHOW & TELL IN A NUTSHELL is a fantastic resource for writers. If someone has had agents, editors, critique partners, and so on point out areas of telling—which is a weakness—this book will help strengthen his or her writing.
Clara
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for writers novice or multi published. this little book gives examples of showing rather than telling and is a great review for those multipublished authors and great for those beginning their writer career.
Leseugla
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent for someone like me who has never really been taught writing. It gave me some great ideas for taking my own manuscript to the next level. And not only that, I am actually looking forward to it!
Emily Moore
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great examples and exercises

I love how the author gives great examples to help you see the difference. The writing exercises helped me get my creative juices flowing. This would be great for beginner writers as well. Worth the money.
G. Edward
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding! Highly recommend to new writers.
Meryl
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-books
Good examples if you are completely ignorant of the difference between showing and telling. Very short, but it works on examples rather than trying to quantify what showing and telling are.
Jen Tucker
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, quick read containing great examples of show vs. tell.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Mythic Guide to Characters: Writing Characters Who Enchant and Inspire
  • Description & Setting
  • Writing Deep Point Of View: Professional Techniques for Fiction Authors (Writer's Craft Book 13)
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • Write That Book Already!: The Tough Love You Need to Get Published Now
  • Breathing Life Into Your Characters: How to Give Your Characters Emotional & Psychological Depth
  • Description
  • Characterization and Sensory Detail (Writing Active Setting #1)
  • Rivet Your Readers with Deep Point of View
  • Conflict and Suspense (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • The Negative Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Flaws
  • Line by Line: How to Edit Your Own Writing
  • Rock Your Plot: A Simple System for Plotting Your Novel (Rock Your Writing, #1)
  • Plot
  • The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook
  • The Plot Whisperer: Secrets of Story Structure Any Writer Can Master
  • Getting the Words Right
If Jessica Bell could choose only one creative mentor, she'd give the role to Euterpe, the Greek muse of music and lyrics. This is not only because she currently resides in Athens, Greece, but because of her life as a 30-something Australian-native contemporary fiction author, award-winning poet and singer/songwriter/guitarist, whose literary inspiration often stems from songs she's written.

Being

Writing in a Nutshell (6 books)
  • Adverbs & Clichés in a Nutshell: Demonstrated Subversions of Adverbs & Clichés into Gourmet Imagery (Writing in a Nutshell Series, #2)
  • The Six Senses in a Nutshell: Demonstrated Transitions from Bleak to Bold Narrative (Writing in a Nutshell Series, #3)
  • Writing in a Nutshell: Writing Workshops to Improve Your Craft (Writing in a Nutshell, #4)
  • Polish Your Fiction: A Quick & Easy Self-Editing Guide
  • Self-Publish Your Book:  A Quick & Easy Step-by-Step Guide
“No matter how entertaining, diverse, concise, or detailed, a writing craft book is, it’s not going to work magic on you, it’s not going to suddenly make you a brilliant writer simply by reading it. You need to use what you read and learn in your own writing. Because that’s when you have those AHA moments. That's when it really sticks.” 1 likes