Start by marking “How it Feels to Be Attcked by a Shark” as Want to Read:
How it Feels to Be Attcked by a Shark

How it Feels to Be Attcked by a Shark

What does it feel like to find yourself in the grip of a 15-foot Great White shark? To be struck not once but twice by lightning? Here are 40 incredible true-life stories of people who lived through the most harrowing experiences you could imagine. In some cases, they stared death right in the face; in others, they wished they could die but somehow found the strength to go ...more
Published October 17th 2007 by Skyhorse (first published October 5th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about How it Feels to Be Attcked by a Shark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How it Feels to Be Attcked by a Shark

Nikki
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, queer
Despite the dramatic cover, the stories in this really fall flat. They all have exactly the same tone, and a lot of them make me very, very sceptical. There's just something totally unreal about them.

Plus, the choice of some of these seemed very out of place. "How it feels to be a transgendered person" alongside "how it feels to be struck by lightning/in a cyclone/in a bush fire".
Jason A
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This piece of nonfiction was filled with action and included completely true stories. They all give you a new respect for mother nature and the force of fate. Not to mention that all of the true stories in this book were near death experiences. This work of literature by Michelle Hamer gives a new perspective on life and to appreciate what we have while it's there. Five stars.
Matt Franks
I thought this book was a change from most story based books. This book got my attention with its very descriptive short stories of people's shark attacks. This book would be a good read to anyone who is interested in sharks and peoples stories and encounters with them.
Omar El-Rifai
I thought it was a great book. Not only does it contain many interesting stories. It also inspires everyone that no matter what you're going through, you will be able to find a solution. I liked a lot of the stories including How it feels to be attacked by a Great White and How it feels to battle Cancer because they did everything they can to fight for themselves and tried to find a solution. This book is also a good book because there are a lot of situations where one could be in and this book ...more
Avery Barnes
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a bunch of short stories that people write and how it felt with certain things. It was a very compelling story and showed me what it feels like with what those people have happen to them. I was very into the book and it was hard to put down. I highly recommend it!
Nick Briggs
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book contained many adrenaline rushing experiences for the reader and from the victim of the accident they had. I enjoyed the book and gave it 4 stars becuase the stories really pulled me in as a reader. Instead by the end I was starting to loose interest in but it was very good.
Zachary Ostroff
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an interesting one, I thought overall it was pretty good and was cool to see people recall experiences that probably will never happen. There were some significant problems with it though. Some of the stories were really interesting, however other's I felt were not as interesting and dragged on for a while. Other than that this was a decent book and I would recommend it to someone who likes books about crazy real-life experiences.
Gabe Prepetit
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Ashley
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes the craziest life or death situations happen to normal every day people. From being abducted by aliens to being attacked by a shark this book is full of crazy events. The book includes crazy things like stories if being run over by a tractor to being attacked by a dog. You also experience some of the emotional sorties battling cancer and the happiness of having quintuplets. This book is full of crazy and amazing stories and I definetly recommend reading it!
Renee
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's a collection of interesting stories. The way it is written gets kinda irritating after a few stories since it's the same style although it is written as first person. There are gripping ones in here but also rather dull ones.
Dione Sage
How It Feels to Be Attacked by a Shark: And Other Amazing Life-Or-Death Situations by Michelle Hamer is not a book that is supposed to be awe inspiring to the readers, which is of course my personal opinion. I think this book is just a book with many different but basic stories of other people’s encounters in life and death situations. It is as if you are basically sitting in a room hearing a story about a shark attack from someone who knows the cousin of the guy that got attacked. I say that be ...more
Markii
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it
So far the other reviewers are right- the stories sound similarly dull but I find them sounding authentic. The diverse stories have inspired me to write my own "how it feels to..." stories of a couple of my own life-changing events- and what I've always noticed when i remember these events is that my retelling of the experiences could also be perceived as dull, matter-of-fact thoughts throughout the progress of the situations (off the top of my head I'd like to write about : surviving a 95 mph r ...more
Laura Baugh
Jul 26, 2010 rated it liked it
As others have commented, the editor's hand was a bit heavy in this collection, so that most of the stories have the same tone and voice. I didn't find the writing as flat as others, but I wasn't drawn in as I should have been by such dramatic stories.

Most frustratingly, many of the stories did not focus at all on how it felt to be in that situation, but simply narrated events, leaving the human reactions to the supposition of the reader. As the title promises us insight into emotions and feelin
Judith
Aug 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
This is a weird book and you'd expect it to be very entertaining and informative. The problem is that there are about 40 different short chapters on how it feels to be. . . ." shot in the head" "mauled by a rottweiler" "500 pounds", but they all sound like they were written by the same person. They all take place in Australia and the voice is the same flat affect in each story, and none of the speakers is identified by name, so the reader starts to wonder if it was all made up. And if they were ...more
Fickle Ghost
This book had a lot of potential, but unfortunately, it fell flat. There were a few stories that kept me on edge, but for the most part, the tales were all written in a very dull, mono-toned, and repetitive manner. The stories felt rushed, and they all seemed to be written by the same person. Though I can't put my finger on it, something was missing from almost every single story (now that I think about it, it was probably passion).

It's a shame, because this book could have been really wonderful
Lindsay
May 29, 2010 rated it did not like it
Wow. This author managed to take a handful of interesting and intriguing stories, and make them sound dull and monotone. Each story was supposedly written by the actual victim, but they all sounded exactly the same and were equally flat. The events were rushed through in a sentence or two, with most of the stories relating to how lucky or blessed they were. I think this book would totally appeal to an elementary student, and that's about it.
Tree
Sep 19, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it is just me, but despite what could have been a gripping (no pun intended) insight into various near death experiences, it was actually a little banal and tedious. The writing style seemed to knock any drama out of the life-changing experiences which is quite a feat really. I'd consider this to be stocking-filler-popcorn-reading rather than anything more.
Luke Aspero
My review of the book was amazing this book really told the read the intensity of survival of each persons dramatic situation. I still wonder how these people made it out alive. this book will keep the reader on the edge of their seats. I recommend this book to anyone that likes survival stories because this book has alot
Xanthi
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Some of these chapters were more interesting than others and some were better written than others. I guess that is to be expected when you put together a book that is told verbatim by people from various walks of life. I did like the strong Australian content.
Christian Fonceca
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow really interesting story about people facing death face to face and surviving. Be fore I read this book I thought that the human body is week, but now I realize that the body can survive more then I realized.
Christi
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love this kind of stuff. It was interesting to read about other people's perceptions of different life or death situations.
Josh Cochran
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting stories for the curious
Robert Pearson