Start by marking “Voodoo, Slaves and White Man's Graves: West Africa and the End of Days” as Want to Read:
Voodoo, Slaves and White Man's Graves: West Africa and the End of Days

Voodoo, Slaves and White Man's Graves: West Africa and the End of Days

Crammed into battered buses and less than road worthy bush taxis, or hanging on to the back of a series of pollution spewing mopeds, Tom Coote journeys along the lush but disease ridden Slave Coast of West Africa and then up through the Saharan trade routes into the environmentally devastated dust lands of the Sahel. Travelling through Benin, Togo, Ghana, Burkina Faso and ...more
Published December 10th 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published December 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Voodoo, Slaves and White Man's Graves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voodoo, Slaves and White Man's Graves

Matt Kelland
Made me decide I really don't want to visit West Africa. I'm happy to read about other peoples' experiences!
Sam
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Voodoo, Slaves & White Man's Graves by Tom Coote

If you ever fantasised about flying to West Africa and exploring all its charms - read Voodoo, Slaves and White's Man Graves first. You may well alter your plans. Pithy, witty, acute observations peel away any illusions and any tourist organisations over in Benin, Togo or Ghana may want to buy up all the copies of this book and hide them.

I like Tom Coote's honesty. He doesn't big himself up. Tells it as it is. Pink white man on a budget vacat
Tawney
Apr 03, 2014 rated it liked it
I received this book compliments of the author through the Goodreads First Reads program.

Coote is a good writer. Here he describes his trip through several West African countries beginning on the shores of the Bight of Benin and concluding in the Dogon territory of Mali. Along the way he sheds light on a variety of topics - slavery, witchcraft, foreign aid - and the economic cause and effect on the region now. These sections are lively and informative.

The trip descriptions are matter of fact and
Claire
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
The author, Tom Coote, generously sent me a copy of Voodoo, Slaves and White Man's Graves.

Part-travelogue and part popular economics text, Voodoo, Slaves and White Man's Graves is an account of Coote's travels to impoverished West Africa. It's a grittier read than many may expect, with a dearth of warm and fuzzy stories. Rather, it looks at the economic, religious, and social structures that define the region, as well as its colonial past, all of which have in many ways crippled the countries' d
Skylar
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A really interesting travel memoir, though I wish I had more of a context of the beginning of the journey. I liked the history and commentary on development, aid, microfinance, and other "hot topics." He had a reasonable and logical opinion that was new-to-me.

I'd have given it 4 stars except that I was regularly pulled out of the story by immature fratboy language. Maybe it's because I'm an American (maybe it's a common British thing?), but if I hear a penis called a willy one more time... And
Clivemichael
I received this e-book in a promo. An interesting read. At first I was little offended by his cavalier assessments of the individuals and scenes he intentionally placed himself in. The references to history, philosophical judgements and consequences of colonialism were informative and appropriate although sometimes long and divergent. Good sources for further reading. The narrative was at times choppy and repetitive; like cryptic journal entries from someone in a hurry. Hard to imagine getting a ...more
Maureen
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Anyone who likes to read about the ups and downs of travelling abroad - the difficulties of getting visas, finding somewhere to stay, finding transport and guides to assist - will enjoy this book. It reminded me of my travels there - though not backpacking as Tom did. It is very easy to read and there is just sufficient history and background to absorb without being bogged down with facts. Thoroughly recommend. Am now on the look out for his book about the Silk Route.
Vikas Datta
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant evocation of a land long ignored...
Stephen
Feb 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
A little bit racist, a lot condescending, and fairly poorly written. I'll not speak to the author's quality as a traveler, but as a writer I would not recommend.
Derek
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this immensely, it took me back to my Grand Tour backpacker days. This is the type of travel all young blokes should experience.
RDEROSSETT
rated it it was ok
Jul 13, 2018
Travel Literature...: Free Travel Books 3 38 Jan 13, 2014 12:20PM

• Demonology and Devil-lore
  • The Incorruptibles: A Study of Incorruption in the Bodies of Various Saints and Beati
  • Rag and Bone: A Journey Among the World's Holy Dead
  • Entertaining Satan: Witchcraft and the Culture of Early New England
  • In Search of King Solomon's Mines
  • Cruelest Journey: Six Hundred Miles To Timbuktu
  • Stolen Daisy
  • Waves of Regret
  • The Virgin of Hopeless Causes
  • Toxicity (Georgia Davis, #3)
  • Kidowed
  • The Bridgeman (Emily Taylor Mystery #1)
  • Your Neighborhood Gives Me the Creeps: True Tales of an Accidental Ghost Hunter
  • Dead Broke (Lana Denae #1)
  • Believing in Magic: The Psychology of Superstition
  • Mountains of the Pharaohs: The Untold Story of the Pyramid Builders
  • The 10-Day Skin Brushing Detox
  • American Panic: A History of Who Scares Us and Why
Tom Coote's first book 'Tearing up the Silk Road' was published by Garnet Publishing in 2012. 'Voodoo, Slaves and White Man's Graves: West Africa and the End of Days' was published in December 2013, and a third book 'Shadow Trails: Adventures in Dark Tourism' was published in hardback on October 1st 2017.

He has travelled independently in over 120 countries, was a founder of Wicked World Magazine,