Start by marking “Every Turtle Counts” as Want to Read:
Every Turtle Counts

Every Turtle Counts

Winner of the Moonbeam Children's Bronze Book Award (2014)
Based on the international rescue effort to save earth's most endangered sea turtles, Every Turtle Counts portrays the plight of the Kemp's ridleys, born on just one beach in Mexico, which strand each year on the north side of Cape Cod. When Mimi discovers a turtle, not moving, not breathing, she, alone, believes i
Published April 1st 2014 by Peter E. Randall Publisher

To ask other readers questions about Every Turtle Counts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Turtle Counts

Start your review of Every Turtle Counts
Dulcie
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness! This is a beautiful book about an how an autistic girl helps a sea turtle, and how caring for the turtle in turn helps her. There is a much deeper message here of the power of believing in someone and never giving up hope. I choked up several times reading this my daughter and was in tears at the end.
Vickie
This is an endearing story of a seven year old girl, named Mimi, and her valuable connection and contribution to a stranded sea turtle. She is concerned and cares for the turtle and in turn this stimulates the blossoming of her inherent strengths.

The story begins one day while exploring the beach with her mother. Mimi goes off on her own and unexpectedly happens upon a rare, frozen, stranded sea turtle, insisting that her mother take it home. The mother resists, but gives in.

As it is revealed,
Susan
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story, the protagonist, her supportive mother and supportive wildlife rescue people, and the overall message of the book. The illustrations are lovely.
Jacey Bundy
Sep 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
TO be 100 percent honest I found this book extremely boring. Harsh but true. I honestly can't explain what it is about this book that I did not like but I just did not connect to this book.
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the double meaning in this book. The book is titled “Every Turtle Counts” but it could also be “Every Person Counts.” Mimi never gives up on a frozen turtle she finds on the beach even though adults around her are telling her it’s dead and to get rid of it. Mimi’s caring mom listens to what Mimi is saying and calls the Audubon Society to help. Mimi is autistic and has trouble with people being close to her and also has trouble talking, but the book explains it all in a very kid-fr ...more
Mary
This is a FABULOUS book for children on the autism spectrum. Although it is not explicitly stated, it is clear that the main character of this book is developing at a different pace than her peers, but it is told in such a way as to build empathy for that character and her family. Just because a person may not be acting in a way that is seen as "normal" does not mean that that person does not have feelings or intelligence. A wonderful break from the "norm" of children's literature!
Sariah Shellman
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tl307
(2014) This book touched my heart. It addresses autism without being overt. The main character learns that every turtle and every person is worthy of love and attention in this book, making it a story I would share with students of all ages.
Tamara the Librarian
Main character, a young girl, has autism. Saves a cold-shocked turtle on the beach.
Elizabeth
Andrea
Jan 20, 2016
Marisa Macy
Mar 21, 2016

• A Boy Called Bat (A Boy Called Bat, #1)
  • A Big Mooncake for Little Star
  • The Year of Living Danishly: My Twelve Months Unearthing the Secrets of the World's Happiest Country
  • Stepsister
  • Something New: Tales from a Makeshift Bride
  • Bat and the Waiting Game (A Boy Called Bat, #2)
  • The Member of the Wedding